Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT? strut in desk chair or kitchen chair

OT?

A lot of desk chairs and kitchen chairs have a center strut, that
compresses when one sits down.

What is the point of it?

Is it supposed to spring back, so everyone sits at the same height wrt
his arms and the desk or table?

Does it mean a height adjustment is no longer necessary on the chair?

Is it just supposed to accept the jolt when one sits down, so it's comfy
to sit down?
And does that mean a height adjustment is still needed?

I need as many as 3 new desk chairs, for the work bench, the office, and
the kitchen. I've only shopped a little.

One webpage says there should be adjustable lumbar support. I've had
some nice comfortable chairs but I never remember having that**. Not
really important right? **The best chairs wore out over 8 months ago,
so they're not here ot remind me.

Seems to me I need a height adjustment, a reclining resistance
adjustment, so it will recline but not before I'm ready, and I know
there is a third but I can't remember what it was.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/16/2014 08:52 AM, micky wrote:
OT?

A lot of desk chairs and kitchen chairs have a center strut, that
compresses when one sits down.

snip

A few years ago my wife bought me a new chair for my office and of
course yelled at me for not looking at the assembly instructions.

Of course I put it together backwards and the seat, instead of leaning
back, leaned forward. She really had a good laugh.

I told her that if a good engineer designed it, the holes would only
line up in one way, making a reversed assembly impossible.

Anyway,,,the need for a strut should be intuitively obvious.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo " wrote in message

On 03/16/2014 08:52 AM, micky wrote:
OT?

A lot of desk chairs and kitchen chairs have a center
strut, that compresses when one sits down.

snip

A few years ago my wife bought me a new chair for my
office and of course yelled at me for not looking at the
assembly instructions.

Of course I put it together backwards and the seat,
instead of leaning back, leaned forward. She really had a
good laugh.

There is a story that Abraham Lincoln had the front legs of his office guest
chairs shortened slightly so that the "guests" would be sublimily urged on
their way. No idea if it is true or not.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/16/2014 11:11 AM, dadiOH wrote:

A few years ago my wife bought me a new chair for my
office and of course yelled at me for not looking at the
assembly instructions.

Of course I put it together backwards and the seat,
instead of leaning back, leaned forward. She really had a
good laugh.

There is a story that Abraham Lincoln had the front legs of his office guest
chairs shortened slightly so that the "guests" would be sublimily urged on
their way. No idea if it is true or not.

I think I may have heard that...who knows if that's true?

I do recall though, back in those days, Lincoln would actually spend
some time talking to people who just walked up the the White House and
ask to see him.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT? strut in desk chair or kitchen chair Political discussion

philo* posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On 03/16/2014 11:11 AM, dadiOH wrote:

A few years ago my wife bought me a new chair for my
office and of course yelled at me for not looking at the
assembly instructions.

Of course I put it together backwards and the seat,
instead of leaning back, leaned forward. She really had a
good laugh.

There is a story that Abraham Lincoln had the front legs of his office guest
chairs shortened slightly so that the "guests" would be sublimily urged on
their way. No idea if it is true or not.

I think I may have heard that...who knows if that's true?

I do recall though, back in those days, Lincoln would actually spend
some time talking to people who just walked up the the White House and
ask to see him.

Long gone days. The critters these days want to vote THEIR way. The
electorate have no say. Maybe once in awhile a group wakes up.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 09:07:12 -0500, philo* wrote:

On 03/16/2014 08:52 AM, micky wrote:
OT?

A lot of desk chairs and kitchen chairs have a center strut, that
compresses when one sits down.

snip

A few years ago my wife bought me a new chair for my office and of
course yelled at me for not looking at the assembly instructions.

Of course I put it together backwards and the seat, instead of leaning
back, leaned forward. She really had a good laugh.

I told her that if a good engineer designed it, the holes would only
line up in one way, making a reversed assembly impossible.

Anyway,,,the need for a strut should be intuitively obvious.

So if it is obvious, you should be able to explain it.

It's not obvious to me or I wouldn't have asked, right? I don't seen
any need for a strut. One of my best chairs just had a center post.
the seat height was adjustible on the post. and the seat swiveled on the
post, amd that was all that was needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/17/2014 02:23 AM, micky wrote:
On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 09:07:12 -0500, philo wrote:

On 03/16/2014 08:52 AM, micky wrote:
OT?

A lot of desk chairs and kitchen chairs have a center strut, that
compresses when one sits down.

snip

A few years ago my wife bought me a new chair for my office and of
course yelled at me for not looking at the assembly instructions.

Of course I put it together backwards and the seat, instead of leaning
back, leaned forward. She really had a good laugh.

I told her that if a good engineer designed it, the holes would only
line up in one way, making a reversed assembly impossible.

Anyway,,,the need for a strut should be intuitively obvious.

So if it is obvious, you should be able to explain it.

I often say that when something is not obvious to me.

Maybe if you posted a link to a photo, I'd know what you are talking about.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 07:02:45 -0500, philo* wrote:

On 03/17/2014 02:23 AM, micky wrote:
On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 09:07:12 -0500, philo wrote:

On 03/16/2014 08:52 AM, micky wrote:
OT?

A lot of desk chairs and kitchen chairs have a center strut, that
compresses when one sits down.

snip

A few years ago my wife bought me a new chair for my office and of
course yelled at me for not looking at the assembly instructions.

Of course I put it together backwards and the seat, instead of leaning
back, leaned forward. She really had a good laugh.

I told her that if a good engineer designed it, the holes would only
line up in one way, making a reversed assembly impossible.

Anyway,,,the need for a strut should be intuitively obvious.

So if it is obvious, you should be able to explain it.

I often say that when something is not obvious to me.

LOL

Maybe if you posted a link to a photo, I'd know what you are talking about.

I wrote what follows before I thought to google the particular part, and
way before I found out you could buy a universal replacment.
http://www.officereplacementparts.co...m-combination/

The explanation is good but doesn't actually answr any of my qustions!

My strut was broken but other things, upholstery parts, were broken too.
Too hard to repair.

I disassembled the chair and threw it away, but it's not too hard to
describe. By strut, I mean the definition used in a car that has
struts, not a fixed length support but like a shock absorber that spends
most of its time almost fully extended,, with a shiny metal shaft that
goes into a hydraulic cylinder. Probably not as big as the strut that
holds up the car, but bigger than one of those hydraulic struts that
hold up a trunk lid or hood.

You can tell the chair has one when you sit down, if you're heavy enough
at least. The chair seat goes down after it's sat on. (Maybe comes
part way up, esp. if you stand up a little. Definitely comes up the
rest of the way when you get off the chair.)

If you weigh 150 or less, I'm not sure how you would notice except by
looking. and then there is a cover in the way. This chair had 3 black
plastic tubes, about 5 inches each, one inside the other. They
telescoped in and out, were attached so whatever the height of the seat,
they surrounded the strut.

One time I sat on the chair and the seat exhaled some gas, psss, went
way down,and didnt' try to go back up. I'm not complaining, just
describing. It was old enough to have given good service for quite a
few years.

The chair without the strut was an older heavier chair in general and it
had a heavy post holding the seat up. I'm sure there is more than one
way this style could work, but my very fancy desk chair, that had a
little damage and I got out of the trash on Wall St. NYC, and which
lasted for 20 more years, had "threads" but only on 45 degrees of its
circumerence, for raising and lowering the seat, using some big bolt
iirc that screwed up and down the seat post.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 09:10:32 -0400, micky
wrote:

Maybe if you posted a link to a photo, I'd know what you are talking about.

I wrote what follows before I thought to google the particular part, and
way before I found out you could buy a universal replacment.
http://www.officereplacementparts.co...m-combination/

It says " Universal Gas Cylinder and Mechanism Combination

If your chair underside looks like the image above and you purchased
your chair from an office supply superstore, then our Universal Gas
Cylinder and Seat Mechanism Combo will very likely match up. "

It sounds like if you bought your chair at a better office supply store,
it wouldn't be made this way.

If "better" isn't the alternatitve to "superstore", what is?

The explanation is good but doesn't actually answr any of my qustions!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Maybe if you posted a link to a photo, I'd know what you are talking about.

I wrote what follows before I thought to google the particular part, and
way before I found out you could buy a universal replacment.
http://www.officereplacementparts.co...m-combination/

It says " Universal Gas Cylinder and Mechanism Combination

If your chair underside looks like the image above and you purchased
your chair from an office supply superstore, then our Universal Gas
Cylinder and Seat Mechanism Combo will very likely match up. "

It sounds like if you bought your chair at a better office supply store,
it wouldn't be made this way.

If "better" isn't the alternatitve to "superstore", what is?

The explanation is good but doesn't actually answr any of my qustions!

Ok . The chair I am sitting on now has a center strut. As far as I can
tell, it's like a car's shock absorber. This chair is pretty comfortable
and the cat sleeps on the other such chair at night.

Since most of the people I've seen have built-in shock absorbers ...I
imagine they put those struts in the chairs mostly for cat comfort.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I don't have a cat, and I've always had an adequate shock absorber. . I
wonder if the salesman will tell me I don't need a strut.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/17/2014 01:00 PM, micky wrote:
On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 08:40:15 -0500, philo wrote:

On 03/17/2014 08:23 AM, micky wrote:

snip

I don't have a cat, and I've always had an adequate shock absorber. . I
wonder if the salesman will tell me I don't need a strut.

My cat did not sleep so well last night. Fortunately I have a fully
equipped workbench and will be recalibrating the strut later

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...58505492_o.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message

You can tell the chair has one when you sit down, if
you're heavy enough at least. The chair seat goes down
after it's sat on. (Maybe comes part way up, esp. if
you stand up a little. Definitely comes up the rest of
the way when you get off the chair.)

You appear to be talking about the gas (hydraulic?) height adjustment COLUMN
(not "strut"). If it goes down when you sit on it, it is broken.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 15:50:10 -0500, "dadiOH" wrote:

"micky" wrote in message

You can tell the chair has one when you sit down, if
you're heavy enough at least. The chair seat goes down
after it's sat on. (Maybe comes part way up, esp. if
you stand up a little. Definitely comes up the rest of
the way when you get off the chair.)

You appear to be talking about the gas (hydraulic?) height adjustment COLUMN

Yeah, that's it! So it's to adjust the height of the chair! Never
had a new chair, so I didn't know that.

(not "strut"). If it goes down when you sit on it, it is broken.

And other parts were too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
On 03/17/2014 01:00 PM, micky wrote:
On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 08:40:15 -0500, philo wrote:

On 03/17/2014 08:23 AM, micky wrote:

snip

I don't have a cat, and I've always had an adequate shock absorber. . I
wonder if the salesman will tell me I don't need a strut.

My cat did not sleep so well last night. Fortunately I have a fully
equipped workbench and will be recalibrating the strut later

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...58505492_o.jpg

I have a HP audio generator too.

Greg

replacing castors on desk chair Janet Tweedy[_2_] UK diy 13 December 2nd 12 02:41 PM
How to lubricate desk chair casters micky Home Repair 3 March 21st 12 12:44 AM
Almost OT - Desk chair restoration question Tim Douglass Woodworking 16 October 16th 09 05:50 PM
Desk Chair John B Woodworking 5 February 15th 08 12:14 PM
Desk-Chair Floor Mat? CWLee Home Repair 4 June 3rd 07 01:16 AM