Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Desk-Chair Floor Mat?

Background: My home office area is carpeted, so many years
ago I purchased, from Staples or Office Depot, a plastic
floor mat, sold for this purpose, about 4' x 6', smooth on
one side and with an array of sharp points on the other
side. My desk-chair rolls on this very nicely, and the
sharp points keep the mat where I want it on the carpet.
Gradually depressions have developed in the mat, probably
because the wheels of my desk-chair tend to rest mostly in
the same place.

I'm looking for a way to get rid of these depressions, and
for the mat to be flat again. My first (and so far, only)
idea is to place it, smooth side down, on my concrete patio
in the sun on a hot day - thinking that the heat might cause
the mat to return to its original shape.

Any other ideas or experience out there dealing with this
problem?

Thanks.
--
----------
CWLee

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CWLee" wrote in message

[...]

I tried those plastic floor mats and found them lacking. I now use a piece
of 3/4" thick 4' x 6' plywood for my desk chair to roll on. I nailed strips
of 1" x 1/2" wood around the edges of the plywood to keep my chair from
rolling onto the rug.

Been using the same piece for over 5 years and it will probably last for
very many more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

CWLee wrote:

Background: My home office area is carpeted, so many years
ago I purchased, from Staples or Office Depot, a plastic
floor mat, sold for this purpose, about 4' x 6', smooth on
one side and with an array of sharp points on the other
side. My desk-chair rolls on this very nicely, and the
sharp points keep the mat where I want it on the carpet.
Gradually depressions have developed in the mat, probably
because the wheels of my desk-chair tend to rest mostly in
the same place.

I'm looking for a way to get rid of these depressions, and
for the mat to be flat again. My first (and so far, only)
idea is to place it, smooth side down, on my concrete patio
in the sun on a hot day - thinking that the heat might cause
the mat to return to its original shape.

Any other ideas or experience out there dealing with this
problem?

That is probably the best and easiest thing to try. Those mats come in
different grades and the thicker more expensive ones resist denting
better. Also note that home carpets typically are much deeper pile than
the commercial carpets these mats are intended to be used on so the mat
is already over stressed. If the dents don't come out just buy another
one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"CWLee" wrote in message
Gradually depressions have developed in the mat, probably
because the wheels of my desk-chair tend to rest mostly in
the same place.

I'm looking for a way to get rid of these depressions, and
for the mat to be flat again. My first (and so far, only)
idea is to place it, smooth side down, on my concrete patio
in the sun on a hot day - thinking that the heat might cause
the mat to return to its original shape.

Any other ideas or experience out there dealing with this
problem?

I doubt the sun will do much, but it will not cost anything to try i t. On
the next mat, shift it around every month, just a few inches.

Posted to alt.home.repair

As Pete said those mats have different grades based on the flooring
underneath. Staples actually has a chart in their catalogue for a better
fit..

CP

Chair mat Larry Spitz Woodworking 10 May 19th 07 10:52 AM
stop roller chair scratching wooden floor....???? Kaiser Sose UK diy 16 May 18th 07 06:20 PM
rug mat markings on hardwood floor dkhedmo Home Repair 1 July 23rd 06 11:52 PM
Looking for floor cover/mat ideas mac davis Woodworking 21 May 25th 06 11:35 AM
Any experience with Klima under floor heating mat Martin Evans UK diy 3 October 11th 04 06:34 PM