Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gasoline Storage: Zoning?

I'm thinking that there must be some legal limits on how much gasoline
somebody is allowed to store in their garden shed. Safety comes to
mind.... if there's a fire, the amount of combustibles would be a
concern to fire fighters.

Does anybody have experience here? Granted such ordinances probably
vary from municipality-to-municipality with higher or no limits for
farmers and more stringent limits for suburbanites.

But are such limits common? Or am I over-thinking this?
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per (PeteCresswell):
But are such limits common? Or am I over-thinking this?

I think this post was premature. A moment's Googling came up with:
http://tinyurl.com/lg34hon

"For safety reasons, the EPA discourages consumers from storing more
than 1 to 5 gallons, and the National Fire Protection Association
proposes a limit of 25 gallons. Local fire codes determine whether your
stockpile is legal: In New York City, for example, you can't keep more
than 2.5 gallons."
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/18/2014 8:48 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I'm thinking that there must be some legal limits on how much gasoline
somebody is allowed to store in their garden shed. Safety comes to
mind.... if there's a fire, the amount of combustibles would be a
concern to fire fighters.

Does anybody have experience here? Granted such ordinances probably
vary from municipality-to-municipality with higher or no limits for
farmers and more stringent limits for suburbanites.

But are such limits common? Or am I over-thinking this?

I've no idea on residential requirements; never heard of any anywhere
we've lived but those have all been in fairly small communities and have
never had need/desire for more than a 5-gal can or two at most.

Farm on-farm storage isn't limited in volume but over
1,320 gal aboveground or more than 42,000 gal underground
and could "reasonably be expected to discharge oil to waters
of the US or adjoining shorelines, such as interstate waters, intrastate
lakes, rivers, and streams" has to have an EPA-approved spill plan in
place.

Needless to say, the average ahr poster probably won't have sufficient
supplies on hand to require same...

Posted to alt.home.repair

(PeteCresswell) posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Per (PeteCresswell):
But are such limits common? Or am I over-thinking this?

I think this post was premature. A moment's Googling came up with:
http://tinyurl.com/lg34hon

"For safety reasons, the EPA discourages consumers from storing more
than 1 to 5 gallons, and the National Fire Protection Association
proposes a limit of 25 gallons. Local fire codes determine whether your
stockpile is legal: In New York City, for example, you can't keep more
than 2.5 gallons."

No, a reasonable question. From the firefighting viewpoint water will not put out a shed/barn fire
anymore because the gasohol requires foam which requires special equipment on the pumper and is
expensive to purchase and keep on hand. The suds ain't from the beer...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/18/2014 06:45 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
(PeteCresswell) posted for all of us...
"For safety reasons, the EPA discourages consumers from storing more
than 1 to 5 gallons, and the National Fire Protection Association
proposes a limit of 25 gallons. Local fire codes determine whether your
stockpile is legal: In New York City, for example, you can't keep more
than 2.5 gallons."

No, a reasonable question. From the firefighting viewpoint water will not put out a shed/barn fire
anymore because the gasohol requires foam which requires special equipment on the pumper and is
expensive to purchase and keep on hand. The suds ain't from the beer...

I hate storing large quantities of gasoline but until the EPA and NFPA
can keep my electric power on after a thunderstorm, I'll store as much
****ing gasoline as I need for the generator.

Over the last 10 years, our electric service has become pathetic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/18/2014 7:29 PM, 0ren wrote:

I hate storing large quantities of gasoline but until the EPA and NFPA
can keep my electric power on after a thunderstorm, I'll store as much
gasoline as I need for the generator.

Over the last 10 years, our electric service has become pathetic.

How long do the outages average? And how much
gasoline is needed? I've been fortunate,
my part of NYS hasn't had frequent power cuts.

If you have power out that often, have you
considered a whole house generator that runs
off diesel (you can use fuel oil for that)
or natural gas. They cost more, but every
thing in life is a trade off.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 2/18/2014 6:48 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I'm thinking that there must be some legal limits on how much gasoline
somebody is allowed to store in their garden shed. Safety comes to
mind.... if there's a fire, the amount of combustibles would be a
concern to fire fighters.

Does anybody have experience here? Granted such ordinances probably
vary from municipality-to-municipality with higher or no limits for
farmers and more stringent limits for suburbanites.

But are such limits common? Or am I over-thinking this?

I recall something in the mortgage papers I signed regarding gasoline
storage.

I remember visiting my brother in Florida and seeing about 50 five
gallon containers in the garage. When a hurricane is approaching he
fills them to power his generator.

In urban areas of California the electricity goes out so rarely that
there's no need for a generator. Even after an earthquake the power is
restored pretty quickly to buildings that haven't been destroyed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 2:44:31 PM UTC-4, sms wrote:
[...]

I've got 5. For the boat and jetski. They rape you at the marina.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/9/2014 1:44 PM, sms wrote:

In urban areas of California the electricity goes out so rarely that
there's no need for a generator. Even after an earthquake the power is
restored pretty quickly to buildings that haven't been destroyed.

That'll all depend on just what gets taken out and where you are
relative to same...wouldn't necessarily count on it when "the big one"
arrives.

Posted to alt.home.repair

best to store gasoline in a shed far from your home. at least tat way if theres a fire its limited to your shed