Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 15 minutes or more for draining

A few years ago I had bath Fitters install a complete acrylic wall and tub over my outdated blue tub. As the installer was messing around the drain area, which was exactly over the old area with the same drain, I had some bad vibes that draining may become a problem, but I let it go thinking well they must know what they are doing. sure enough I had no problem till this year when I take a showwer it seems to take forever to drain. Now there is no long hair involved which is known for screwing up drainage especially in a shower. I can;t use a snake or a plunger, i tried. It has a round escutcheon above the drain...never messed around with such a drain...I suspect there is a connection to that drain from that area. Anyone know how it works, so i can get easier way of snaking or even use a plunger..i need to get the top cover off that drain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

novel wrote:
A few years ago I had bath Fitters install a complete acrylic wall and
tub over my outdated blue tub. As the installer was messing around the
drain area, which was exactly over the old area with the same drain, I
had some bad vibes that draining may become a problem, but I let it go
thinking well they must know what they are doing. sure enough I had no
problem till this year when I take a showwer it seems to take forever to
drain. Now there is no long hair involved which is known for screwing up
drainage especially in a shower. I can;t use a snake or a plunger, i
tried. It has a round escutcheon above the drain...never messed around
with such a drain...I suspect there is a connection to that drain from
that area. Anyone know how it works, so i can get easier way of snaking
or even use a plunger..i need to get the top cover off that drain.

A picture of the drain cover would help. Post it at a picture hosting site
e.g. PhotoBucket and then post a link here.

Is there access to the drain from outside the bathroom, either in a hallway
or from underneath?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 15:30:54 -0800 (PST), novel
wrote:

Anyone know how it works, so i can get easier way of snaking or even use a plunger..i need to get the top cover off that drain.

Is the drain cover a "snap in" type? Lift the cover off, if so.

Sample:

http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/18-907_4.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2014 6:30 PM, novel wrote:
A few years ago I had bath Fitters install a complete acrylic wall and tub over my outdated blue tub. As the installer was messing around the drain area, which was exactly over the old area with the same drain, I had some bad vibes that draining may become a problem, but I let it go thinking well they must know what they are doing. sure enough I had no problem till this year when I take a showwer it seems to take forever to drain. Now there is no long hair involved which is known for screwing up drainage especially in a shower. I can;t use a snake or a plunger, i tried. It has a round escutcheon above the drain...never messed around with such a drain...I suspect there is a connection to that drain from that area. Anyone know how it works, so i can get easier way of snaking or even use a plunger..i need to get the top cover off that drain.

Hair is only one cause of drain bacjip. Soap scum buildup, minerals,
short hair conditioner residue, etc. Since the drain was working for a
while it is probably a scum type of problem rather than a mechanical
problem.

It try a liquid drain cleaner. If that works, repeat the treatment
every couple of months to keep it clear.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2014 8:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Hair is only one cause of drain bacjip. Soap scum buildup, minerals,
short hair conditioner residue, etc. Since the drain was working for a
while it is probably a scum type of problem rather than a mechanical
problem.

It try a liquid drain cleaner. If that works, repeat the treatment
every couple of months to keep it clear.

Acid, or hydroxide? Each is effective on
different clogs.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/15/2014 07:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
.

Hair is only one cause of drain bacjip. Soap scum buildup, minerals,
short hair conditioner residue, etc. Since the drain was working for a
while it is probably a scum type of problem rather than a mechanical
problem.

It try a liquid drain cleaner. If that works, repeat the treatment
every couple of months to keep it clear.

Yep, I have to do that once or twice a year...the liquid usually works well
Posted to alt.home.repair

novel wrote:
A few years ago I had bath Fitters install a complete acrylic wall and tub over my outdated blue tub. As the installer was messing around the drain area, which was exactly over the old area with the same drain, I had some bad vibes that draining may become a problem, but I let it go thinking well they must know what they are doing. sure enough I had no problem till this year when I take a showwer it seems to take forever to drain. Now there is no long hair involved which is known for screwing up drainage especially in a shower. I can;t use a snake or a plunger, i tried. It has a round escutcheon above the drain...never messed around with such a drain...I suspect there is a connection to that drain from that area. Anyone know how it works, so i can get easier way of snaking or even use a plunger..i need to get the top cover off that drain.

Liquid Plumber?

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/16/2014 8:30 AM, philo wrote:

It try a liquid drain cleaner. If that works, repeat the treatment
every couple of months to keep it clear.

Yep, I have to do that once or twice a year...the liquid usually works well

Acid or alkalai? What likely cause of clog?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/16/2014 01:38 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 2/16/2014 8:30 AM, philo wrote:

It try a liquid drain cleaner. If that works, repeat the treatment
every couple of months to keep it clear.

Yep, I have to do that once or twice a year...the liquid usually works
well

Acid or alkalai? What likely cause of clog?

I use Alkalai such as Liquid Plumr

It's got to be my wife's hair as I am pretty darn bald.

5 minutes to THE END [email protected] Home Repair 3 December 22nd 12 01:14 AM
2 minutes of your time Ted Home Repair 0 June 23rd 07 10:09 PM
five minutes away... patrick conroy Woodworking 14 December 26th 04 07:03 PM
TV Shuts Off Every Few Minutes John Electronics Repair 3 August 31st 04 05:58 PM
Sony 32in turns off after 15 minutes, then 5 minutes Jean-Pierre Dube Electronics Repair 4 February 19th 04 03:20 AM