Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help with desk!

This isn't exactly a home repair but I figured someone here could help. I
purchased one of these desks back in Aug.

http://www.icebergenterprises.com/snapeasedesk.html

The specific desk I have is not pictured but to give you an idea, the
problem I am having is with the pullouts. There are two. One is the
keyboard tray. The second is the little mouse pullout at the side of that
tray.

My desk has exactly the same setup shown although the desk top is a little
different and it is bigger. I love the desk itself but... Clearly having
pullout problems.

To assemble, you merely snap the desk pieces together. As in the sides and
the top. You then turn it upside down and line up the metal pieces that
come pre-assembled on the keyboard pullout with the depressions on the
underside of the desk top. You then take two plastic pieces, snap them in
place and slide them over. Easy peasy!

The instructions did say that I might need to tighten the screws that were
put in at the factory. The screws are on the metal pieces of the pullout.
But... In tightening them, I have discovered that they prevent the pullout
from pulling out. I had to loosen them in order to slide it out because
they were hitting on something. Hard to explain because I can't see well
down there. But then over time, they will loosen too much and the pullout
will fall in my lap! I think I have solved this by putting the piece back
on, keeping the screws loose enough to pull it out, then tightening but...
Based on past experiences with other pullouts, this could well happen again.

Next problem? The snap on plastic pieces that hold the pullout on have
fallen off twice. I think this happens when I accidentally bump the pullout
from underneath with my knees. Easy to put back on when the desk is upside
down. Not so easy to do when you are working blind, underneath the desk and
trying to hold the pullout in place. I think I have solved this problem by
duct taping the pieces in place and by trying to be more careful.

Now the BIG problem! The little pullout for the mouse pad. I will try to
explain how it works. It came preassembled so even if I were able to get
replacement pieces, I don't think I could put them on by myself.

At the right side of the pullout are two white plastic tracks, underneath.
They are made of thin, cheap, brittle plastic. They are shaped sort of like
the letter O except that it is much skinnier. Picture taking the O and
pushing the top and bottoms towards each other so that you have a long, thin
track with a straight top and bottom and curved sides.

The little pullout has tabs that fit into this track and it can slide back
and forth. Technically you could slide it underneath the pullout if you did
not need it. But I always left it out because I always use it. Until...
The track broke!

What happened was that because the plastic is brittle, the top portion of
the front track, cracked all the way through right at the inside of where it
curves. I thought about this for a while. I cut off the thick top off of a
zip top bag, tied it around this broken top and tied it tightly to shore it
up. This after several failed Super Glue repairs. Then to make sure that
it stayed, I put duct tape on top.

Great for a few weeks! But then? The piece cracked again. This time about
a 1" chunk fell off of the top. There was no way to tie it back together
again because all that is left at the top is somehow attached to the bottom
of the pullout. There is nothing to wrap anything around.

So... I took the trusty duct tape and cut some shortish pieces, sticking it
to the underside of the mouse pullout and up around the broken piece to the
underside of the keyboard pullout.

The problem with this? Nothing is smooth or flat underneath. Especially
the little mouse pullout. Hard to describe but it is like there are ridges
of plastic under there. So I did the best that I could but after a week or
even a few days, the tape falls off and I have to start all over again.

I did notify the company. They told me they are no longer making any desks
with pullouts and they did not keep any parts. If they could send me a
whole new pullout, this would solve the problem, at least for now but...
Clearly a poor design and no doubt it would only be a matter of time before
the new one breaks.

I don't want to scrap the desk. It wasn't cheap and it is a sturdy desk and
the perfect size for me.

So... Any clues how I can repair this little mouse pad? Pretty sure it is
falling off because of the weight of my hand on it while using the mouse. I
am trying to be careful and not apply much pressure but as I'm sure you
know, this isn't always easy to do. The good thing is that that this part
of the desk is the exact color of your standard silver/gray duct tape. But
I need a more permanent fix. Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 19:31:21 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

[...]

Post a picture on a free hosting site, with a link back here in a
reply. Sounds like a cleat in the back of the mouse pull out could be
adapted to support the weight of your needed support. Hard to say
without seeing it.

We love Duct Tape, here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I did notify the company. They told me they are no longer making any desks
with pullouts and they did not keep any parts. If they could send me a
whole new pullout, this would solve the problem, at least for now but...
Clearly a poor design and no doubt it would only be a matter of time before
the new one breaks.

I don't want to scrap the desk. It wasn't cheap and it is a sturdy desk and
the perfect size for me.

You got it wrong. It was not an "inexpensive" desk, but it definitely
was a "cheap" desk

So... Any clues how I can repair this little mouse pad? Pretty sure it is
falling off because of the weight of my hand on it while using the mouse. I
am trying to be careful and not apply much pressure but as I'm sure you
know, this isn't always easy to do. The good thing is that that this part
of the desk is the exact color of your standard silver/gray duct tape. But
I need a more permanent fix. Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2014-02-12 10:31 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

Next time build it out of pine and plywood. Almost every piece of
furniture in my house is from this and it never does me wrong.

I'm sorry I can't help, it sounds like a nightmare desk. I don't think
it's your fault though, the picture looks like a desk for a kid and
probably not built to withstand use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Sorry but there is no way for me to get a good pic of it plus it is all
covered with duct tape. I am no good at taking pics anyway but I would have
to somehow crawl under the desk and look up to get the pic. I don't fit
down there well.

Not sure about a cleat but I don't think there is one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I did notify the company. They told me they are no longer making any
desks
with pullouts and they did not keep any parts. If they could send me a
whole new pullout, this would solve the problem, at least for now but...
Clearly a poor design and no doubt it would only be a matter of time
before
the new one breaks.

I don't want to scrap the desk. It wasn't cheap and it is a sturdy desk
and
the perfect size for me.

You got it wrong. It was not an "inexpensive" desk, but it definitely
was a "cheap" desk

The desk part is fine. It's the design of the pullout and the crappy
materials they used on that part.

So... Any clues how I can repair this little mouse pad? Pretty sure it
is
falling off because of the weight of my hand on it while using the mouse.
am trying to be careful and not apply much pressure but as I'm sure you
know, this isn't always easy to do. The good thing is that that this part
of the desk is the exact color of your standard silver/gray duct tape.
But
I need a more permanent fix. Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You can buy a complete replacement keyboard tray - complete with the
mouse-board from any good office supply. Don't be surprized if a GOOD
one costs as much or more than the desk. 3M makes a decent one - The
AKT100 is $316.45 in Canada - and the AKT151LE is "only" $286.40

You can buy cheaper ones - like the Fellowes FEL9140301from WallMart
for $53, or their FEL8031301 for $170, or the 8035901 for about $290.

With the "cheap" ones you will be right back where you started but a
few dollars poorer
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Adam Kubias" wrote in message
On 2014-02-12 10:31 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

They are designed for use in medical facilities, military, zoos, other
places where chemicals and spills might happen. The materials they are made
of are supposedly impervious to such things.

I was attracted to the snap together design. I am pretty good at assembling
things but when it comes to computer desks, I always seem to struggle with
something. Usually the pullout and wouldn't you know, the pullout is
causing the problem here.

As I said... My desk is bigger and has a different top. The top has a
raised lip to it. I do love that. Much less chance of my pens, lip balm,
nail polish, etc. will roll off. Heh.

And they do claim them to be sturdy. Which I think the desk part is. No
issues there whatever. But big pullout issues. I also think it is odd that
they say they are no longer using this design and yet it is still shown on
their website.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Pretty sure those would not attach to this desk though. Aren't they for
wooden desks?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Have you gone back to whereever you bought the desk and told them of your problems?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Have you gone back to whereever you bought the desk and told them of your
problems?

Ha! Mail order. I did call them initially when I thought some parts were
missing. Now due to a comedy of errors, I have two extra sets of those
parts. They weren't missing. They were sitting on my old computer desk.
No clue how they got there as I don't remember doing that at all and they
were sitting very visibly on top for a good three weeks until I found them
there. Store eventually did help me but only after I contacted the company
myself. Initially they wanted me to box it up and ship it back via UPS. I
was not willing to do that. And I doubt they would or could do anything now
as it has been 5-6 months. They can't fix it and if they could do anything
at all, it would be to replace it with another. And it would be no better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2014 3:25 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

Ha! Mail order. I did call them initially when I thought some parts
were missing. Now due to a comedy of errors, I have two extra sets of
those parts. They weren't missing. They were sitting on my old
computer desk. No clue how they got there as I don't remember doing that
at all and they were sitting very visibly on top for a good three weeks
until I found them there. Store eventually did help me but only after I
contacted the company myself. Initially they wanted me to box it up and
ship it back via UPS. I was not willing to do that. And I doubt they
would or could do anything now as it has been 5-6 months. They can't
fix it and if they could do anything at all, it would be to replace it
with another. And it would be no better.

I'd ask a the hardware store, maybe you can find
a handyman who is near to you, and can work on this
kind of thing. Sounds like the group's collective
wisdom is letting you down.

Might check with the shop teachers at the local high
school. Perhaps one of the shop nerds can help?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie,

Didn't read your whole post, it's too long. Here's your first problem.
When you tighten some screws firmly they block part of thj mechanism.
Everything works ok when the screws are slightly slack but they then work
loose.
Ok, the screws area little too long. Take out the screw and head to the
hardware store. Buy a shorter screw. Now find some washers that fit your
screw. Now head home. Try the shorter screws. Fixed? If not take the old
screws and put a washer or two on them and try them. Fixed? If not we head
back to the store and buy Loctite thread cement. Get the Blue one, it's
medium strength. Use the glue on the threads and reassemble. When the glue
dries it should prevent the screws from slackening.
So, what's the next problem?

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 21:52:41 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Wooden compressed sawdust, steel - no matter. Might require a bit of
McGuyvering on that particular desk, but I'd make it work in short
order if I didn't have the option of replacing the desk with something
half decent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 22:05:03 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Have you gone back to whereever you bought the desk and told them of your problems?

Likely bought online - cheaper than buying from a "real " store ----.
Yup - but no support. There's a "gotcha" every time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks! Only handymen I know of charge $250 minimum and I don't think our
high school has a shop. Guess I'll keep taping it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David L. Martel" wrote in message
Julie,

Didn't read your whole post, it's too long. Here's your first problem.
When you tighten some screws firmly they block part of thj mechanism.
Everything works ok when the screws are slightly slack but they then work
loose.
Ok, the screws area little too long. Take out the screw and head to the
hardware store. Buy a shorter screw. Now find some washers that fit your
screw. Now head home. Try the shorter screws. Fixed? If not take the old
screws and put a washer or two on them and try them. Fixed? If not we head
back to the store and buy Loctite thread cement. Get the Blue one, it's
medium strength. Use the glue on the threads and reassemble. When the glue
dries it should prevent the screws from slackening.
So, what's the next problem?

Dave M.

Thanks! But that's one problem I think I have fixed. Next problem is the
broken mouse pullout but I'm not going to type it all out again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Have you gone back to whereever you bought the desk and told them of your
problems?

Likely bought online - cheaper than buying from a "real " store ----.
Yup - but no support. There's a "gotcha" every time.

Not cheaper. I just didn't want a wooden desk. I had my eye on this one
for a long time. And yes, bought online because I couldn't find it anywhere
else and I wanted it delivered.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie,

If it's not worth your time then it's not worth mine.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Julie Bove" writes:

[...]

As I understood it, the mouse tray is no good.
Can you put a wider tray on the keyboard tray?

Maybe construction adhesive would work better than
duct tape.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2014-02-13 5:38 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

wrote in message

I just didn't want a wooden desk.

But, but, but... wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David L. Martel" wrote in message
Julie,

If it's not worth your time then it's not worth mine.

I already typed it out once.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" writes:

[...]

Is construction adhesive a glue? If so, then no. The one piece is totally
broken. And I can't change the tray.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Julie Bove" writes:

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" writes:

[...]

Yes, it's glue. Dries like a rock.

I was thinking of attaching a board or plastic to the bottom of the
keyboard tray with a edge that sticks out for a mouse tray.
Leave the tray, just add an extension.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 03:19:00 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" writes:

[...]

If the broken piece is Styrene,butyrate, ABS or acrylic you may be
able to repair it with Ambroyd ProWeld. Won't make it any better than
the crap it was when you bought it though.. Mabee make a replacement
part out of wood - is it the actual mouse tray that is broken, or the
slide it fits into? If the tray - no problem. If the slide part, good
luck

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is construction adhesive a glue? If so, then no. The one piece is totally
broken. And I can't change the tray.

You'll just have to do without the tray. This is why I avoid
keyboard/mouse trays. Most are junk and poorly designed.
That besides the bad ergonomics.
Even the ones on most of the commercial office desks, which is where I
learned to avoid them.
Better off with a sturdy table for a computer or big old
"traditional" desk.
You found out the hard way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This isn't exactly a home repair but I figured someone here could help. I
purchased one of these desks back in Aug.

http://www.icebergenterprises.com/snapeasedesk.html

The specific desk I have is not pictured but to give you an idea, the
problem I am having is with the pullouts. There are two. One is the
keyboard tray. The second is the little mouse pullout at the side of that
tray.

snipped problem description

I don't want to scrap the desk. It wasn't cheap and it is a sturdy desk and
the perfect size for me.

So... Any clues how I can repair this little mouse pad? Pretty sure it is
falling off because of the weight of my hand on it while using the mouse. I
am trying to be careful and not apply much pressure but as I'm sure you
know, this isn't always easy to do. The good thing is that that this part
of the desk is the exact color of your standard silver/gray duct tape. But
I need a more permanent fix. Thanks!

From the problems you have had, the numerous fixes you've tried that
have failed, other recommendations that have been offered that for
whatever reason, in your opinion, won't work it's time to resign
yourself to the fact that your desk is a piece of crap. Get rid of it
and buy something of higher quality. You'll be glad you did.

Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" writes:

[...]

The slide is broken.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is construction adhesive a glue? If so, then no. The one piece is totally
broken. And I can't change the tray.

You'll just have to do without the tray. This is why I avoid
keyboard/mouse trays. Most are junk and poorly designed.
That besides the bad ergonomics.
Even the ones on most of the commercial office desks, which is where I
learned to avoid them.
Better off with a sturdy table for a computer or big old
"traditional" desk.
You found out the hard way.

Thanks! Yeah. Bro and SIL are both programmers. They don't use the trays.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 03:02:01 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

news
wrote:

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" writes:

[...]

Then just glue the tray in place with construction adhesive and be
done with it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
[...]

Can you explain in more detail?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 03:02:01 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

news
wrote:

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" writes:

[...]

I can't! The piece that would hold it there is broken to the point where
there is a chunk missing now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Guv Bob" wrote in message
m...
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

---

Sorry. I don't think so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 00:44:37 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 03:02:01 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

wrote in message
news On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 03:19:00 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" writes:

[...]

Glue the top of the mouse tray to the bottom of the keyboard tray -
permanently - no adjustment. That "snot" will fill a pretty good gap
and still hold tight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 00:44:37 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" writes:

[...]

Lap Desk John Grossbohlin[_4_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 21 April 22nd 13 05:07 PM
Desk Jim Hall[_3_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 18 October 23rd 09 02:10 AM
desk again mike hide Woodworking Plans and Photos 1 August 4th 08 05:42 PM
Desk top pawseyfamily Woodworking 6 September 13th 06 04:26 AM
LAP DESK J T Woodworking 1 March 2nd 05 06:48 PM