Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help with desk!

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 21:52:41 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 19:31:21 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

This isn't exactly a home repair but I figured someone here could help. I
purchased one of these desks back in Aug.

http://www.icebergenterprises.com/snapeasedesk.html

The specific desk I have is not pictured but to give you an idea, the
problem I am having is with the pullouts. There are two. One is the
keyboard tray. The second is the little mouse pullout at the side of that
tray.

My desk has exactly the same setup shown although the desk top is a little
different and it is bigger. I love the desk itself but... Clearly having
pullout problems.

To assemble, you merely snap the desk pieces together. As in the sides
and
the top. You then turn it upside down and line up the metal pieces that
come pre-assembled on the keyboard pullout with the depressions on the
underside of the desk top. You then take two plastic pieces, snap them in
place and slide them over. Easy peasy!

The instructions did say that I might need to tighten the screws that were
put in at the factory. The screws are on the metal pieces of the pullout.
But... In tightening them, I have discovered that they prevent the
pullout
from pulling out. I had to loosen them in order to slide it out because
they were hitting on something. Hard to explain because I can't see well
down there. But then over time, they will loosen too much and the pullout
will fall in my lap! I think I have solved this by putting the piece back
on, keeping the screws loose enough to pull it out, then tightening but...
Based on past experiences with other pullouts, this could well happen
again.

Next problem? The snap on plastic pieces that hold the pullout on have
fallen off twice. I think this happens when I accidentally bump the
pullout
from underneath with my knees. Easy to put back on when the desk is
upside
down. Not so easy to do when you are working blind, underneath the desk
and
trying to hold the pullout in place. I think I have solved this problem
by
duct taping the pieces in place and by trying to be more careful.

Now the BIG problem! The little pullout for the mouse pad. I will try to
explain how it works. It came preassembled so even if I were able to get
replacement pieces, I don't think I could put them on by myself.

At the right side of the pullout are two white plastic tracks, underneath.
They are made of thin, cheap, brittle plastic. They are shaped sort of
like
the letter O except that it is much skinnier. Picture taking the O and
pushing the top and bottoms towards each other so that you have a long,
thin
track with a straight top and bottom and curved sides.

The little pullout has tabs that fit into this track and it can slide back
and forth. Technically you could slide it underneath the pullout if you
did
not need it. But I always left it out because I always use it. Until...
The track broke!

What happened was that because the plastic is brittle, the top portion of
the front track, cracked all the way through right at the inside of where
it
curves. I thought about this for a while. I cut off the thick top off of
zip top bag, tied it around this broken top and tied it tightly to shore
it
up. This after several failed Super Glue repairs. Then to make sure
that
it stayed, I put duct tape on top.

Great for a few weeks! But then? The piece cracked again. This time
about
a 1" chunk fell off of the top. There was no way to tie it back together
again because all that is left at the top is somehow attached to the
bottom
of the pullout. There is nothing to wrap anything around.

So... I took the trusty duct tape and cut some shortish pieces, sticking
it
to the underside of the mouse pullout and up around the broken piece to
the
underside of the keyboard pullout.

The problem with this? Nothing is smooth or flat underneath. Especially
the little mouse pullout. Hard to describe but it is like there are
ridges
of plastic under there. So I did the best that I could but after a week
or
even a few days, the tape falls off and I have to start all over again.

I did notify the company. They told me they are no longer making any
desks
with pullouts and they did not keep any parts. If they could send me a
whole new pullout, this would solve the problem, at least for now but...
Clearly a poor design and no doubt it would only be a matter of time
before
the new one breaks.

I don't want to scrap the desk. It wasn't cheap and it is a sturdy desk
and
the perfect size for me.

So... Any clues how I can repair this little mouse pad? Pretty sure it
is
falling off because of the weight of my hand on it while using the mouse.
am trying to be careful and not apply much pressure but as I'm sure you
know, this isn't always easy to do. The good thing is that that this part
of the desk is the exact color of your standard silver/gray duct tape.
But
I need a more permanent fix. Thanks!

You can buy a complete replacement keyboard tray - complete with the
mouse-board from any good office supply. Don't be surprized if a GOOD
one costs as much or more than the desk. 3M makes a decent one - The
AKT100 is $316.45 in Canada - and the AKT151LE is "only" $286.40

You can buy cheaper ones - like the Fellowes FEL9140301from WallMart
for $53, or their FEL8031301 for $170, or the 8035901 for about $290.

With the "cheap" ones you will be right back where you started but a
few dollars poorer

Pretty sure those would not attach to this desk though. Aren't they for
wooden desks?

Wooden compressed sawdust, steel - no matter. Might require a bit of
McGuyvering on that particular desk, but I'd make it work in short
order if I didn't have the option of replacing the desk with something
half decent.