Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Desk

A new desk for my office/den at home with center keyboard tray. Also built
drawer box to convert center section to a drawer by attaching middle face to
it as false front. African Mahogany..

Attached Thumbnails
Desk-drawer-view-jpg  Desk-front-view-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Jim Hall wrote:
A new desk for my office/den at home with center keyboard tray. Also
built drawer box to convert center section to a drawer by attaching
middle face to it as false front. African Mahogany..

Beautiful grain match! Well done ... G&G would be proud!!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Jim Hall" wrote in message
A new desk for my office/den at home with center keyboard tray. Also built
drawer box to convert center section to a drawer by attaching middle face
it as false front. African Mahogany..

Absolutley beautiful! Did you go by plans or is this your slant?

I WOULD NOT paint it. LOL

Now the chair!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I saw a picture of one similar in an old Fine Woodworking magazine. Liked
the look. Rough scaled it into AutoCAD, bought Darrel Peart's, "Greene &
Greene Design Elements for the Workshop" book and went from there.. I wish
I could find the magazine picture of it now to compare, but it was a
subscriber's picture and hard to locate..

"Leon" wrote in message

"Jim Hall" wrote in message
A new desk for my office/den at home with center keyboard tray. Also
built
drawer box to convert center section to a drawer by attaching middle face
it as false front. African Mahogany..

Absolutley beautiful! Did you go by plans or is this your slant?

I WOULD NOT paint it. LOL

Now the chair!

Attached Thumbnails
Desk-ribboned-grain-mahogany-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thanks. Used ribboned-grain A. Mahogany for top.. The grain is so
dominating it hides glue lines fairly well. Just have to start with a
couple coats of shellac to prevent blotchiness.

"Swingman" wrote in message
Jim Hall wrote:
A new desk for my office/den at home with center keyboard tray. Also
built drawer box to convert center section to a drawer by attaching
middle face to it as false front. African Mahogany..

Beautiful grain match! Well done ... G&G would be proud!!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Ok, I give up.. Hopefully you can open attached file and see..

"Jim Hall" wrote in message
Sorry, attached too large pictures.. Here's right size with message
again..

Of course, I had no indication of the inner framework of the piece in the
magazine or whether it even had a center drawer. I struggled with how
best
to attach front flap for keyboard tray and also hiding side drawer runners
from cloud lift cutout on side aprons. As it turned out the runner was
far
enough in to not really be visible from outside. I did make a vail
attempt
to stain it a little. Here's pictures that shows what I'm talking about
and
also how I solved hinging the keyboard front flap..

Yeah no painting.. definitely.. No chair.. Going to turn a couple
bedroom
lamps with a hunk of quilted maple I picked up recently and finish
leveling
top and installing vises on my almost finished woodworking bench.
Thanks..

"Leon" wrote in message

"Jim Hall" wrote in message
A new desk for my office/den at home with center keyboard tray. Also
built
drawer box to convert center section to a drawer by attaching middle
face
it as false front. African Mahogany..

Absolutley beautiful! Did you go by plans or is this your slant?

I WOULD NOT paint it. LOL

Now the chair!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Jim Hall" wrote in message
A new desk for my office/den at home with center keyboard tray. Also built
drawer box to convert center section to a drawer by attaching middle face
it as false front. African Mahogany..

Very nice work.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Jim Hall wrote:

A new desk for my office/den at home with center keyboard tray. Also
built drawer box to convert center section to a drawer by attaching middle
face to
it as false front. African Mahogany..

Very nice. Love the Greene & Greene style. Your own design?

Rob Leatham
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Jim Hall wrote:
A new desk for my office/den at home with center keyboard tray. Also built
drawer box to convert center section to a drawer by attaching middle face to
it as false front. African Mahogany..

Too pretty to actually use.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Lose not thy airspeed lest the ground
rise up and smite thee!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

It is a well done piece of furniture. Do I detect some Frank Lloyd Wright?
It has that look of early modern American style.......
john
"Jim Hall" wrote in message
A new desk for my office/den at home with center keyboard tray. Also built
drawer box to convert center section to a drawer by attaching middle face
it as false front. African Mahogany..

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default You wouldn't happen to be related to John & Peter Hall?

While Greene & Greene designed the pieces which bear their
name, much of their pieces were actually made by brothers
Joun and Peter Hall. From the pictures of this desk I'm
betting there is some genetic connection. If there isn't
there should be. Coming up with nice designs is great.
Being able to actually MAKE them, that's the hard part.
You've got both down nicely.

I know the desk is going to be a USER - but PLEASE don't
finish it with poly. Shellac would be perfect - and a lot
easier to repair for whoever inherits your desk - and
this one will surely be passed on to someone who will
appreciate it. That's at least my hope for it.

Now when are you going to point out the trivial mistakes
that no one will ever notice? (If you lay down right here
and hold this mirror this way - and shine a flashlight
right up under there - you can see where I . . .)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thanks, Mark. No, not really my design as far as basic shape goes. I
spotted a gallery photo in an old FW mag (1980s I think) it had this basic
shape, stretchers, aprons. I scaled off the photo to reproduce it in AutoCAD
then reshaped it a bit and gave it my own choice of G&G finishing detail
trying achieve unity of style.

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
Jim Hall wrote:

A new desk for my office/den at home with center keyboard tray. Also
built drawer box to convert center section to a drawer by attaching
middle
face to
it as false front. African Mahogany..

Very nice. Love the Greene & Greene style. Your own design?

Rob Leatham

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

No John, it's very much a Greene and Greene style copy cat piece. Based on
pictures in books.. I've never actually seen a Greene and Greene piece of
furniture first hand.. They built upscale craftsman style pieces. Mostly
out of mahogany..

By the way, we are not to far apart geographically.. I'm in Eureka.. I did
a few real estate appraisals in your neck of the woods years ago before
retiring. Your pictures remind me of the area.. Great place to work and
live..

"Jim Hall" wrote in message
A new desk for my office/den at home with center keyboard tray. Also
built
drawer box to convert center section to a drawer by attaching middle face
it as false front. African Mahogany..

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thanks, Charlie..

Related to John and Peter.. Yeah, you'd think.. somewhere along the line..
same last name.. But actually, their father back in 1876 on becoming a
naturalized US citizen change his Swedish name from John Janasson to John
Hall.. So the Hall name only goes back so far.. Oh well..

making the piece.. I feel the same way about your lathe pieces, Charlie..
I'm still trying to become friends with the skew.. It's an obstinent little
beast at times.. and if you figure all the time I have, being retired, not
concerned about profit, things like this are possible by just about anyone..

Finishing.. I really like shellac finishes.. Still get some burns once in
awhile trying to rub it on french polish style.. I did put on a base coat
of two coats of shellac and the inside of the drawers are finsihed with a 1
lb cut. But, yeah I used poly after that. In my old age, I stumble around
a lot more. Destroyed a keyboard with coffee and so on and what would a
desk be like if you couldn't spill a little coffee on it once in awhile. So
poly it became..

Mistakes.. Aren't they just creative opportunities..? Can't help but think
a lot of great things were discovered by mistakes.. Ok, I'll confess to an
obvious one people have probably already noticed.. the exposed ebony
splines on the breadboard ends of the top weren't supposed to be that wide..
Even though I practiced on scrap, actually keeping the top on edge, against
the router table fence, while routing the mortises, needed more support than
I expected and had to widen the moritises a bit to clean the initial cuts
up. Now they're just wide to make a statement.. grin

"charlieb" wrote in message
While Greene & Greene designed the pieces which bear their
name, much of their pieces were actually made by brothers
Joun and Peter Hall. From the pictures of this desk I'm
betting there is some genetic connection. If there isn't
there should be. Coming up with nice designs is great.
Being able to actually MAKE them, that's the hard part.
You've got both down nicely.

I know the desk is going to be a USER - but PLEASE don't
finish it with poly. Shellac would be perfect - and a lot
easier to repair for whoever inherits your desk - and
this one will surely be passed on to someone who will
appreciate it. That's at least my hope for it.

Now when are you going to point out the trivial mistakes
that no one will ever notice? (If you lay down right here
and hold this mirror this way - and shine a flashlight
right up under there - you can see where I . . .)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Jim Hall wrote:

Thanks, Mark. No, not really my design as far as basic shape goes. I
spotted a gallery photo in an old FW mag (1980s I think) it had this basic
shape, stretchers, aprons. I scaled off the photo to reproduce it in
AutoCAD then reshaped it a bit and gave it my own choice of G&G finishing
detail trying achieve unity of style.

Well, in my opinion, you certainly achieved that.

Jim Hall wrote:

A new desk for my office/den at home with center keyboard tray. Also
built drawer box to convert center section to a drawer by attaching
middle
face to
it as false front. African Mahogany..

Very nice. Love the Greene & Greene style. Your own design?

Rob Leatham

Rob Leatham

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Hello!
My son work in Henderson Bike center......
He is manager there.....
Love to visit and like the area.....
I was at the fine woodworking fair......up north.....above Arcata.....It was
some nice furniture and the store is spectacular with the amount of hardwood
choices, tools, etc. I was drooling......
Small world.....
yes, Fort Bragg is very similiar to Eureka......in many ways.
john

"Jim Hall" wrote in message
A new desk for my office/den at home with center keyboard tray. Also
built
drawer box to convert center section to a drawer by attaching middle
face to
it as false front. African Mahogany..

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Wow! Absolutely stunning!

-Brian
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thank you all for taking the time to leave such encourging positive
feedback. An inspiration for me to do something bigger and better..
Thanks.. - Jim

"Jim Hall" wrote in message
A new desk for my office/den at home with center keyboard tray. Also built
drawer box to convert center section to a drawer by attaching middle face
it as false front. African Mahogany..

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 10:57:52 -0700, the infamous "Jim Hall"
scrawled the following:

A new desk for my office/den at home with center keyboard tray. Also built
drawer box to convert center section to a drawer by attaching middle face to
it as false front. African Mahogany..

Outstanding, Jim!

---
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.
--Erica Jong

LAP DESK J T Woodworking 1 September 29th 07 02:27 AM
2x Desk (2/2) Mark Johnson Woodworking Plans and Photos 14 July 1st 07 02:03 AM
2x Desk (1/2) Mark Johnson Woodworking Plans and Photos 2 June 21st 07 02:57 AM
MDF Desk top Robert Rushing Woodworking 8 September 9th 04 03:55 AM
Lap Desk Gerald Ross Woodworking 0 August 30th 04 05:45 PM