Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Motor oil removal?

I carelessly spilled some motor oil on the front of my truck when adding a
quart. I tried spraying 409 household cleaner on it and rinsing it. No
help. Tried the 409 and rubbing with paper towels. Little help.

To save me experimenting (and buying) other cleaners, any suggestions?
Probably gasoline would work but I don't have any or a container for it.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Feb 2014 17:22:16 GMT, KenK wrote:

I carelessly spilled some motor oil on the front of my truck when adding a
quart. I tried spraying 409 household cleaner on it and rinsing it. No
help. Tried the 409 and rubbing with paper towels. Little help.

To save me experimenting (and buying) other cleaners, any suggestions?
Probably gasoline would work but I don't have any or a container for it.

TIA

varsol or hot soapy water and some "elbow grease"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Feb 2014 17:22:16 GMT, KenK wrote:

I carelessly spilled some motor oil on the front of my truck when adding a

Inside or outside of the engine compartment.

quart. I tried spraying 409 household cleaner on it and rinsing it. No
help. Tried the 409 and rubbing with paper towels. Little help.

I used to use Fantastic until they changed the ingredients, and maybe
the smell, and it makes me sneeze. Now I use 409. I never thought of
it as especially good for grease. It's great for getting dirt out of the
crinkle finish of many old tvs and other things

Dawn dishwashing detergent is very good for grease, like their
commercials say. Though it also stings every cut and scratch I have so
I don't use it. Maybe I would for specailly greasy things. And more
importantly, it's meant for food-based grease. I'm not at all sure that
ti's good for motor oiil or even suspension grease.

What about a do-it-yourself car wash with a want that you spray soapy
water. Just avoid getting anything in your electrical parts like the
alternator .

To save me experimenting (and buying) other cleaners, any suggestions?
Probably gasoline would work but I don't have any or a container for it.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Feb 2014 17:22:16 GMT, KenK wrote:

I carelessly spilled some motor oil on the front of my truck when adding a
quart. I tried spraying 409 household cleaner on it and rinsing it. No
help. Tried the 409 and rubbing with paper towels. Little help.

To save me experimenting (and buying) other cleaners, any suggestions?
Probably gasoline would work but I don't have any or a container for it.

TIA

Dawn. It is what wildlife rescuers use to clean spilled oil from the coats of
aquatic birds and marine mammals.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KenK" wrote in message

I carelessly spilled some motor oil on the front of my
truck when adding a quart. I tried spraying 409 household
cleaner on it and rinsing it. No help. Tried the 409 and
rubbing with paper towels. Little help.

To save me experimenting (and buying) other cleaners, any
suggestions? Probably gasoline would work but I don't
have any or a container for it.

Soap. Soap and water.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Senior Member

I agree with the suggestion to take the truck to the car wash and spray it with soapy water. I would also arrive an hour early and have a coffee in a nearby coffee shop or waiting room while I wait for the engine to cool down. You could conceivably crack an exhaust manifold by spraying it with water, although I know of people who've driven through deep puddles without doing any harm to the engine.

In fact, I'd clean the whole engine that way. Having a clean engine to work on helps promote proper and punctual vehicle maintenance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Feb 2014 17:22:16 GMT, KenK wrote:

I carelessly spilled some motor oil on the front of my truck when adding a
quart. I tried spraying 409 household cleaner on it and rinsing it. No
help. Tried the 409 and rubbing with paper towels. Little help.

To save me experimenting (and buying) other cleaners, any suggestions?
Probably gasoline would work but I don't have any or a container for it.

TIA

The next time you buy gas, use the nozzle and put a small squirt on one
of their window cleaning paper towels. then wipe off the oil. How hard
was that????

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 10:33:03 -0800, Lab Lover wrote:

Dawn. It is what wildlife rescuers use to clean spilled oil from the coats of
aquatic birds and marine mammals.

+ 1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 21:01:03 +0100, nestork
wrote:

You could conceivably crack an exhaust manifold by
spraying it with water, although I know of people who've driven through
deep puddles without doing any harm to the engine.

I leave the engine running. BTDT almost forever. When I finish with
my power washer, I blast it a bit with the wand. Never cracked
anything - ever. Never cracked a manifold, engine block, either.

In the early days it was easy to get water in the distributor cap,
wires, and coil (Model A Magneto wiring). Had to be dried out to
start the engine. Unless they were water proofed

Engine cleaner works best on a hot engine. If spray does begin to
stall the engine - back of the wand a bit or move it away.

Engines can run in deep water as long as the have fresh air /
snorkeled and wires are protected from moisture.

Pics.

http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/36040000+w600+re0/129_1203_10%2Bsolo_on_the_simpson_part_2%2Bdeep_wa ter_crossing

Swamp Buggy races:

http://media.naplesnews.com/media/img/photos/2014/01/26/0127_NCSP_CP_SWAMPBUGGIESFINAL39_t607.JPG

YMMV

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I agree with the suggestion to take the truck to the car wash and spray
it with soapy water. I would also arrive an hour early and have a
coffee in a nearby coffee shop or waiting room while I wait for the
engine to cool down. You could conceivably crack an exhaust manifold by
spraying it with water, although I know of people who've driven through
deep puddles without doing any harm to the engine.

In fact, I'd clean the whole engine that way. Having a clean engine to
work on helps promote proper and punctual vehicle maintenance.

I've pressure washed running engines for decades and NEVER cracked a
manifold
Posted to alt.home.repair

Just do it right the 1st time. Go to auto parts store. Purchase a spray can
of foaming engine cleaner. Spray only the oily areas. Rinse carefully job
done. No engine damage. WW

"KenK" wrote in message ...

I carelessly spilled some motor oil on the front of my truck when adding a
quart. I tried spraying 409 household cleaner on it and rinsing it. No
help. Tried the 409 and rubbing with paper towels. Little help.

To save me experimenting (and buying) other cleaners, any suggestions?
Probably gasoline would work but I don't have any or a container for it.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 1:22:16 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
I carelessly spilled some motor oil on the front of my truck when adding a

quart. I tried spraying 409 household cleaner on it and rinsing it. No

help. Tried the 409 and rubbing with paper towels. Little help.

To save me experimenting (and buying) other cleaners, any suggestions?

Probably gasoline would work but I don't have any or a container for it.

TIA

Same happened to me, it ate right into the clear coat. Use a degreaser and then buff it out with polishing compound. Paper towels ain't going to get it. Pick up some terry towels, old sock or something like that. Als oget a large can of elbow grease.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 2:30:28 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
[...]

Fantastic would have certainly done the job, that stuff would literally etch glass.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 12:22:16 PM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
I carelessly spilled some motor oil on the front of my truck when adding a

quart. I tried spraying 409 household cleaner on it and rinsing it. No

help. Tried the 409 and rubbing with paper towels. Little help.

To save me experimenting (and buying) other cleaners, any suggestions?

Probably gasoline would work but I don't have any or a container for it.

TIA

Whatever you use, rewax afterwards as even regular dish soap will strip off wax (in fact it's a great prewash for a fresh wax job.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"N8N" wrote in message
On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 12:22:16 PM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
I carelessly spilled some motor oil on the front of my truck when adding

quart. I tried spraying 409 household cleaner on it and rinsing it. No

help. Tried the 409 and rubbing with paper towels. Little help.

To save me experimenting (and buying) other cleaners, any suggestions?

Probably gasoline would work but I don't have any or a container for it.

TIA

Whatever you use, rewax afterwards as even regular dish soap will strip
off wax (in fact it's a great prewash for a fresh wax job.)

409 is not strong enough - try 410, maybe even 411 - whatever it takes . . .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 15:02:04 -0600, "AngryOldWhiteGuy" AngryO

Whatever you use, rewax afterwards as even regular dish soap will strip
off wax (in fact it's a great prewash for a fresh wax job.)

409 is not strong enough - try 410, maybe even 411 - whatever it takes . . .

You could try 435, but... wait, it's time to go home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 20:32:23 -0500, micky
wrote:

I've pressure washed running engines for decades and NEVER cracked a
manifold

Do you try to not get the manifold wet?

Why bother? Like I mentioned earlier, spraying a running engine has
never cracked a manifold, head, block or other parts of an engine.

Engine cleaners work best on a hot running engine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KenK" wrote in message
I carelessly spilled some motor oil on the front of my truck when adding a
quart. I tried spraying 409 household cleaner on it and rinsing it. No
help. Tried the 409 and rubbing with paper towels. Little help.

To save me experimenting (and buying) other cleaners, any suggestions?
Probably gasoline would work but I don't have any or a container for it.

TIA

A $1 in quaeters at the local pressure washer works fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 01:20:04 -0600, "NotMe" wrote:

"KenK" wrote in message
I carelessly spilled some motor oil on the front of my truck when adding a
quart. I tried spraying 409 household cleaner on it and rinsing it. No
help. Tried the 409 and rubbing with paper towels. Little help.

To save me experimenting (and buying) other cleaners, any suggestions?
Probably gasoline would work but I don't have any or a container for it.

TIA

A $1 in quaeters at the local pressure washer works fine.

I think around here it starts at $2.50!

Plus it won't spray gasoline.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 1:33:03 PM UTC-5, Lab Lover wrote:
On 11 Feb 2014 17:22:16 GMT, KenK wrote:

I carelessly spilled some motor oil on the front of my truck when adding a

quart. I tried spraying 409 household cleaner on it and rinsing it. No

help. Tried the 409 and rubbing with paper towels. Little help.

To save me experimenting (and buying) other cleaners, any suggestions?

Probably gasoline would work but I don't have any or a container for it.

TIA

Dawn. It is what wildlife rescuers use to clean spilled oil from the coats of

aquatic birds and marine mammals.

It is also used to clean torture wounds on children for peeing on the floor
http://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/02/11...of-not-guilty/