Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Craftsman Radial Arm Saw Motor Removal

I have a Sears Model Number 113.197150 radial arm saw that is late
eighties/early nineties vintage. The blade jammed into a piece of wood
and now the motor hums, but does not spin when I turn it on. I have
replaced the capacitor, but no luck. I wanted to take the motor off
and have an electric motor shop take a look at it, but I can't figure
out how to disconnect the power cord from the arm. Do I need to take
the arm apart to get to the wire connections or do I try to take the
motor apart? I can't figure out how to take the arm apart to get to
the wires.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 11:49:06 -0800, mikenj wrote:

I have a Sears Model Number 113.197150 radial arm saw that is late
eighties/early nineties vintage. The blade jammed into a piece of wood
and now the motor hums, but does not spin when I turn it on. I have
replaced the capacitor, but no luck. I wanted to take the motor off and
have an electric motor shop take a look at it, but I can't figure out
how to disconnect the power cord from the arm. Do I need to take the arm
apart to get to the wire connections or do I try to take the motor
apart? I can't figure out how to take the arm apart to get to the wires.

Have you tried going to the Sears website and see if they have a manual
for this saw? If they do, it may show you how to take the motor off.
I'm never owned one of these, so don't know how you would do it.

Paul T.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/3/10 1:49 PM, mikenj wrote:
I have a Sears Model Number 113.197150 radial arm saw that is late
eighties/early nineties vintage. The blade jammed into a piece of wood
and now the motor hums, but does not spin when I turn it on. I have
replaced the capacitor, but no luck. I wanted to take the motor off
and have an electric motor shop take a look at it, but I can't figure
out how to disconnect the power cord from the arm. Do I need to take
the arm apart to get to the wire connections or do I try to take the
motor apart? I can't figure out how to take the arm apart to get to
the wires.

I think there is a cable junction under the arm cover.

These diagrams should be a help in figuring out how to take it apart.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getModel!retrieve.pd?modelNumber=113.197150

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 3, 2:49*pm, mikenj wrote:
I have a Sears Model Number 113.197150 radial arm saw that is late
eighties/early nineties vintage. The blade jammed into a piece of wood
and now the motor hums, but does not spin when I turn it on. I have
replaced the capacitor, but no luck. I wanted to take the motor off
and have an electric motor shop take a look at it, but I can't figure
out how to disconnect the power cord from the arm. Do I need to take
the arm apart to get to the wire connections or do I try to take the
motor apart? I can't figure out how to take the arm apart to get to
the wires.

Does the motor shaft spin freely by hand? Will it start with a little
push?

More than likely you will need to take the wires out of the motor.

Allen
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 3, 2:49*pm, mikenj wrote:
I have a Sears Model Number 113.197150 radial arm saw that is late
eighties/early nineties vintage. The blade jammed into a piece of wood
and now the motor hums, but does not spin when I turn it on. I have
replaced the capacitor, but no luck. I wanted to take the motor off
and have an electric motor shop take a look at it, but I can't figure
out how to disconnect the power cord from the arm. Do I need to take
the arm apart to get to the wire connections or do I try to take the
motor apart? I can't figure out how to take the arm apart to get to
the wires.

I did find the diagrams on the Sears website. No luck in showing how
to take the arm apart to get to the wires. I also did try to spin the
blade while starting with no luck. Allen says that I may have to take
the wires out from the motor side, but it's not obvious how to take it
apart. I think the arm would be a safer bet, but haven't found the
magic entry point to take it apart.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/3/10 5:08 PM, mikenj wrote:
On Feb 3, 2:49 pm, wrote:
[...]

Are my posts not showing up?

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getModel!retrieve.pd?modelNumber=113.197150

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote
On 2/3/10 5:08 PM, mikenj wrote:
On Feb 3, 2:49 pm, wrote:
[...]

Those are nice diagrams. You can zoom in on the exploded views and print
them out. Very nice if you want to tear into something and fix it.

But of course, there are some of us, who find this sort of thing to be
outside their comfort zone. Personally, myself, I can do it. But I don't
like to. And I make mistakes at this sort of thing. And have had parts left
over after final assembly.

I can design things. I can build things. Not so good at fixing things.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 3, 6:08*pm, mikenj wrote:
On Feb 3, 2:49*pm, mikenj wrote:

[...]

You will then have to disassemble the arm. It looks as though that you
could take the cover off the arm. Look at the diagrams some more. From
what I can tell, it looks like 6-9 screws to get the cover off. It
looks like you will have to take the switch on the front of the arm
apart as well.

Allen
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 3, 9:11*pm, allen476 wrote:
On Feb 3, 6:08*pm, mikenj wrote:

On Feb 3, 2:49*pm, mikenj wrote:

[...]

Allen- Hide quoted text -

OK, I see the zoomed diagram. I'll take a closer look and figure out
how to open the arm up and get to the wiring. I'll let you all know
how I make out.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/3/10 7:03 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getModel!retrieve.pd?modelNumber=113.197150

--

Those are nice diagrams. You can zoom in on the exploded views and print
them out. Very nice if you want to tear into something and fix it.

But of course, there are some of us, who find this sort of thing to be
outside their comfort zone. Personally, myself, I can do it. But I don't
like to. And I make mistakes at this sort of thing. And have had parts left
over after final assembly.

I can design things. I can build things. Not so good at fixing things.

I guess I forget how it is for *normal* people.
I was always opening up things as a kid... got my share of jolts from a
charged capacitor or two. :-)
And for 11 years, part of my job was tearing into electronics.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mikenj" wrote in message
I have a Sears Model Number 113.197150 radial arm saw that is late
eighties/early nineties vintage. The blade jammed into a piece of wood
and now the motor hums, but does not spin when I turn it on. I have
replaced the capacitor, but no luck. I wanted to take the motor off
and have an electric motor shop take a look at it, but I can't figure
out how to disconnect the power cord from the arm. Do I need to take
the arm apart to get to the wire connections or do I try to take the
motor apart? I can't figure out how to take the arm apart to get to
the wires.

If the motor has accessible carbon commutator brushes, I would remove them,
check for damaged brush ends, check motor rotation without them and
reinstall or replace them, before disassembling the entire arm.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 4, 5:43*am, "Anon" wrote:
"mikenj" wrote in message

I have a Sears Model Number 113.197150 radial arm saw that is late
eighties/early nineties vintage. The blade jammed into a piece of wood
and now the motor hums, but does not spin when I turn it on. I have
replaced the capacitor, but no luck.

If the motor has accessible carbon commutator brushes,

The kind of motor that has brushes doesn't need or have a capacitor;
the capacitor usually works with a 'start switch' which can be kept
open by a speck of sawdust. Cleaning that switch is the goal of
disassembly, and commonly one must remove one of the ends
(bell housing) of the motor to get to it. It'll the the end housing
that
has the electrical wiring connections.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 4, 12:47*pm, whit3rd wrote:
On Feb 4, 5:43*am, "Anon" wrote:

"mikenj" wrote in message

I have a Sears Model Number 113.197150 radial arm saw that is late
eighties/early nineties vintage. The blade jammed into a piece of wood
and now the motor hums, but does not spin when I turn it on. I have
replaced the capacitor, but no luck.

If the motor has accessible carbon commutator brushes,

The kind of motor that has brushes doesn't need or have a capacitor;
the capacitor usually works with a 'start switch' which can be kept
open by a speck of sawdust. *Cleaning that switch is the goal of
disassembly, and commonly one must remove one of the ends
(bell *housing) of the motor to get to it. *It'll the the end housing
that
has the electrical wiring connections.

You are correct that this motor has a capacitor and from my limited
experience, was the only easy component that I can access within the
motor. Also in this compartment are the 110/220v terminals. I did not
see any switch inside the motor, unless you mean the start switch
located in the arm. I have not opened that up yet, but have studied
the diagram and will give it a try this weekend. As far as the motor,
there is not much exposed as far as winding and brushes - it is a very
sefl-contained unit except for the access to the capacitor. There are
some hefty star screws with ominous warnings of removal which can
cause misalignment. In any case, I do not have the drivers to unscrew
them. I can do the basic stuff like disassemble and clean, but if the
motor needs work, I will take it to a motor shop; otherwise it's $160
for a new motor - not very attractive.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

mikenj wrote:

You are correct that this motor has a capacitor and from my limited
experience, was the only easy component that I can access within the
motor. Also in this compartment are the 110/220v terminals. I did not
see any switch inside the motor, unless you mean the start switch
located in the arm. ...

No, the centriugal switch that switches the start cap out of the circuit
at speed.

If it ain't even hummin', that's not it. But, if it is a contacts
problem, try taking the air hose and nozzle and blowing the housing out
good.

I looked at the exploded drawing somebody showed link to a little --
they're not great for the specific purpose but it appears the leads to
the switch are the simplest to get to likely as looks like motor-end
connections are in the housing as opposed to a junction box.

There's bound to be a way in, simply start looking at the covers
carefully, it's possible there's a snap-on cover over arm assembly.

The old small DeWalt I have has a set of screws on the front end of the
switch cover that is a starting point, after that there's a cover on the
top of the arm that is dust protection and cosmetics for the innards of
the arm from the top. I forget otomh whether it just snaps on or is
held by the side pieces that have the scale imprinted on them.

Overall, it can't be too complicated, just takes some detective work to
see what went together last, hence comes apart first.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"mikenj" wrote

I have a Sears Model Number 113.197150 radial arm saw that is late
eighties/early nineties vintage. The blade jammed into a piece of wood
and now the motor hums, but does not spin when I turn it on. I have
replaced the capacitor, but no luck. I wanted to take the motor off
and have an electric motor shop take a look at it, but I can't figure
out how to disconnect the power cord from the arm. Do I need to take
the arm apart to get to the wire connections or do I try to take the
motor apart? I can't figure out how to take the arm apart to get to
the wires.

I have a .199350 version of the saw.
Several years ago I replaced the electric cord with a longer one.
As I recall, I took off the end plates of the arm and the cover then slips
off.
You can reach the terminals under the cover. (if that's what you're looking
for)

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/4/10 7:34 PM, Max wrote:

"mikenj" wrote

[...]

Nope, it's different.
Yours is like mine, but not the same as his.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 3, 2:49*pm, mikenj wrote:
I have a Sears Model Number 113.197150 radial arm saw that is late
eighties/early nineties vintage. The blade jammed into a piece of wood
and now the motor hums, but does not spin when I turn it on. I have
replaced the capacitor, but no luck. I wanted to take the motor off
and have an electric motor shop take a look at it, but I can't figure
out how to disconnect the power cord from the arm. Do I need to take
the arm apart to get to the wire connections or do I try to take the
motor apart? I can't figure out how to take the arm apart to get to
the wires.

On mine, the front plate on the arm is removed and the motor assembly
rolled forward and off the arm. The Electrical cable was held by a
small clamp screwed to the rear of the arm. When I removed the screw
that held the clamp/cable in place, the entire motor assembly was
ready to take to the "motor shop."

If you look closely on that motor, you may spy a small red button
somewhere on the motor itself. This is a RESET BUTTON. If the blade
turns freely (with the power off, pleas!) try pressing this little red
button. Then plug it back in and turn on the power switch'

If this works, send my check to The Salvation Army in a rasonable
amount.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 5, 10:47*pm, Hoosierpopi wrote:
On Feb 3, 2:49*pm, mikenj wrote:

[...]

Sorry, no check for you. I hit the reset more times than I can count.
I followed the exact procedures in the troubleshooting guide with no
luck. I did figure out how to get the front faceplate off and that is
where the power cord terminates to the switch. Now I have a frozen
screw that is not allowing me to get to the switch assembly. I sprayed
it with some WD-40 and am letting it soak overnight. I'm guessing that
there is something wrong with that reset switch.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 3, 2:49*pm, mikenj wrote:

[...]

there is something wrong with that reset switch.- Hide quoted text -

I was successful in taking the front arm switch assembly apart and
that is where the motor power cord terminates so it was three easy
connections to take apart and I have freed the motor power cord from
the switch. The trick is to figure out how to disassemble the grommet
from the side of the arm where the motor power cord enters without
destroying it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/6/10 11:37 AM, mikenj wrote:
The trick is to figure out how to disassemble the grommet
from the side of the arm where the motor power cord enters without
destroying it.

Is it this kind?
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/02/stress-relief.JPG
http://store.marshamps.com/images/Strain%20relief.jpg

If so, you just have to pinch and pull. The cord can take it.
Slip lock pliers with good knurling should do the trick.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 6, 1:38*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/6/10 11:37 AM, mikenj wrote:

The trick is to figure out how to disassemble the grommet
from the side of the arm where the motor power cord enters without
destroying it.

Is it this kind?
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/02/stress-relief.JPG
http://store.marshamps.com/images/Strain%20relief.jpg

If so, you just have to pinch and pull. *The cord can take it.
Slip lock pliers with good knurling should do the trick.

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Mike, yep, that looks right. I'll give it a try.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 7, 2:43*pm, mikenj wrote:
On Feb 6, 1:38*pm, -MIKE- wrote:

On 2/6/10 11:37 AM, mikenj wrote:

The trick is to figure out how to disassemble the grommet
from the side of the arm where the motor power cord enters without
destroying it.

Is it this kind?
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/02/stress-relief.JPG
http://store.marshamps.com/images/Strain%20relief.jpg

If so, you just have to pinch and pull. *The cord can take it.
Slip lock pliers with good knurling should do the trick.

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Mike, yep, that looks right. I'll give it a try.- Hide quoted text -

Mike,
worked great! motor is ready to go to the shop - hopefully this won't
cost too much
Posted to rec.woodworking

I had the same problem. i first blew the motor out with compressed air while it was still installed, it started up once then failed on the second try. I took the motor off the saw, and unscrewed the plastic housing and blew it out again, there was hardly any particles left but upon reassembly it started working as new. Minimal use on this machine, my father-in law had it for 15 years, said he used about 10 times; I've used it for four light bookcases, a bat house and a bed frame. Not a lot of built up funk in the motor, my guess is that these just need some attention TLC every 20 years or so..
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Martin Eastburn
wrote:

Might be the switch that is the starter switch. If it has one.
Most don't and some do.

Many years ago, maybe back in the early 80's, I picked up a second hand
Craftsman 9" RAS (yes, 9").

The start winding switch soon failed, sticking in the "run" position.
The quick, on the job, solution was to take a short dowel, tie it the
the end of about a 3' piece of twine to act as a handle. I wound the
other end of the twine around the accessory shaft, turned the ON/OFF
switch on, and pulled the twine really fast.

Worked every time, and let me get the job finished.

Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, February 3, 2010 at 1:49:06 PM UTC-6, mikenj wrote:
I have a Sears Model Number 113.197150 radial arm saw that is late
eighties/early nineties vintage. The blade jammed into a piece of wood
and now the motor hums, but does not spin when I turn it on. I have
replaced the capacitor, but no luck. I wanted to take the motor off
and have an electric motor shop take a look at it, but I can't figure
out how to disconnect the power cord from the arm. Do I need to take
the arm apart to get to the wire connections or do I try to take the
motor apart? I can't figure out how to take the arm apart to get to
the wires.

Mine was humming and not turning . I changed the plug, switched it to 220v and it works fine.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 07:54:04 -0500, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

On 1/1/2016 9:58 PM, wrote:
I had the same problem. i first blew the motor out with compressed air while it was still

installed, it started up once then failed on the second try. I took
the motor off the saw,
and unscrewed the plastic housing and blew it out again, there was
hardly any particles
left but upon reassembly it started working as new. Minimal use on this
machine,
my father-in law had it for 15 years, said he used about 10 times; I've
used it for
four light bookcases, a bat house and a bed frame. Not a lot of built
up funk in the
motor, my guess is that these just need some attention TLC every 20
years or so.

What is that amperage rating of the circuit the saw is on.

I have a table saw that will marginally, to not run on a 15 amp circuit
but will always run on a 20 amp circuit.

Right now I have on 20 amp circuit in the garage in the ceiling for the
door opener. I hope to be able to correct that this summer.

On the nameplates of motors they have an amp rating given per Volts
Like 3A @120 volt
1.5A 2 230 volts

Etc. Most also have a SF rating service factor of 1 or 1.5 and so on,

If your line voltage is less than the rating your amp draw will
increase, same if the belt is too tight and sometimes it will not
start with too tight a belt. One belt driven devices. Both cause
overheating and eventual burnout of the motor. If the motor pulley is
too large it too will cause an increase in motor amp draw.

There are other factors but these are the most common.

Craftsman Radial Saw Motor Frank Rowe Woodworking 10 January 7th 19 03:41 AM
Craftsman Radial Arm Saw ks Woodworking 22 April 11th 07 02:49 AM
Craftsman Radial Arm Saw V Woodworking 7 January 10th 07 02:53 AM
Craftsman radial arm saw motor runs slow rmorrison9773 Woodworking 4 December 18th 06 02:48 PM
Radial Arm Saw, Craftsman Booboo Woodworking 0 January 20th 05 08:53 PM