Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Big trucks w/crip plates

On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 18:15:04 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 15:51:08 -0800, Lab Lover wrote:

I have not been able to find any kind of governmental statistics on the rate of
abuse of handicap privileges. Anecdotal observations such as you and I have
offered are virtually worthless. For example, I personally know two women who
have obtained handicap placards through their father who is an MD and these
women have no physical disabilities unless one considers narcissism and laziness
to be disabilities.

I assume everybody that isn't walking unusually slow is abusing the
stickers.
Sue me.

Not a bad litmus test.
Posted to alt.home.repair

All this talk of LAB tests reminded me of the following story, too good not to post.

Your Duck is Dead--*

A woman brought a very limp duck in to a veterinary*surgeon. As she laid her pet on the table, the vet pulled out his stethoscope and listened to the bird's
chest.*

After a moment or two, the vet shook his head and sadly said, "I'm sorry, your duck, Cuddles, has passed away."*

The distressed woman wailed, "Are you sure?"* Yes, I am sure. Your duck is dead," replied the*vet..*

"How can you be so sure?" she protested. "I mean you haven't done any testing on him or anything. He might just be in a coma or something."*

The vet rolled his eyes, turned around and left the*room.***He returned a few minutes later with a black Labrador Retriever. As the duck's owner looked on
in amazement, the dog stood on his hind legs, put his front paws on the examination table and sniffed the duck from top to bottom. He then looked up at the vet with sad eyes and shook his head.*

The vet patted the dog on the head and took it out of the room. A few minutes later he returned with a cat. The cat jumped on the table and also delicately
sniffed the bird from head to foot. The cat sat back on its haunches, shook its head, meowed softly and strolled out of the room.*

The vet looked at the woman and said, "I'm sorry, but as I said, this is most definitely, 100% certifiably, a dead duck."*

The vet turned to his computer terminal, hit a few keys*and produced a bill, which he handed to the woman..* The duck's owner, still in shock, took the bill. "$150!" she cried, "$150 just to tell me my duck is dead!"

The vet shrugged, "I'm sorry. If you had just taken my word for it, the bill would have been $20, but with the Lab Report and the Cat Scan, it's now $150."*
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 Feb 2014 17:15:16 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

Groan....! :-)

It's an old one, but a very good one!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Harry K:
I live in snow country up in Washington and have never had a 4x. Always got where I am need to using winter tires.

When I had my Suburban, I used to make a game out of seeing how far I
could go in 2wd.

18" of new-fallen snow on unplowed roads was no problem - you just had
to think of the front wheels more as rudders when steering.

The only times I'd get stuck and need 4wd were when I did something
bone-headed like come to a stop before trying to turn uphill in a rutted
intersection.

The real value of 4wd to me was taking the pressure off when following
one of those guys who seemed determined to get stuck. When he'd finally
manage it, just come to a stop, drop it in 4wd, and slowly pull
around...
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per :
one-sigma

Something to do with the bell curve?
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 3, 2014 10:52:23 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sun, 2 Feb 2014 21:16:50 -0800 (PST), Harry K wrote:
On Sunday, February 2, 2014 9:18:25 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sun, 2 Feb 2014 06:58:30 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:
On Sunday, February 2, 2014 5:32:20 AM UTC-8, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per :

snip

You are describing ANY 2x half-ton pickup. Without some weight in the bed they are very light on the rear end. At least the suburban has some weight back there. You are also grossly exaggerating the handling characteristics. That you can't drive one like a sports car and are thereby disappointed only shows you don't understand the purpose for which they were built.

It's a WORK truck, not a play-toy although I see way too many 4xs that are bought as, and treated like, play toys.

I bought mine because I'm always doing something around the house.
Cars just don't cut it if you're a DIY homeowner.

That wouild be a work truck then. I have a stock of firewood now that will last me the rest of the time I have but will still always have a work truck to haul stuff a car, van or SUV can't. Even when I cut, the only time the truck moves is if it will be hauling something (trash, recycle, yard waste, etc).

I use it for commuting, too. It's got a nice interior (leather
seats), sync radio, and keyless entry (and all that rot). Is it still
a "work truck"?

Yes if you do actually use it for hauling stuff. Commuting does not count as "work".

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 3, 2014 10:55:31 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sun, 2 Feb 2014 21:12:05 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

I live in snow country up in Washington and have never had a 4x. Always got where I am need to using winter tires. I also heat with wood (6 cord or more/yr) cut my own, Every _needed_ 4x? A couple times. Had to call a tow to get me unstuck once, thought I would have to again but after 1/2 hours work packing brush got out. Othere than that once.

I wouldn't have made it with 2WD on my Ranger. All 2Wd pickups suck
in ice and snow. It's the nature of the beast.

Which is why I don't use my truck, unless some very overriding reason exists doesn't move in snowy conditions. Always took the wife's car which have also all been 2x.

Stuck my truck today. Hauling brush to the neighbor's brush pile, backed half way across the pasture to the brush pile and hit a rock stopping me. Yep, in 2" of snow on almost level ground I couldn't move either way. Walked home (1/4 mile) for the car and set of chains, laid 'em in front of the wheels and drovre right on out, came home with my brush. I'll mount the chains tomorrow and make the trip - got 2 more loads after that.

If I have to buy another car I'll probably HAVE to go to 4x. 2x in a car has become almost as rare as 2x and stick in a truck.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

The real value of 4wd to me was taking the pressure off when following
one of those guys who seemed determined to get stuck. When he'd finally
manage it, just come to a stop, drop it in 4wd, and slowly pull
around...

You left out the best part.,.. smiling and waving (grin)
but what they conceal is vital."
-- Aaron Levenstein
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Kurt Ullman:
manage it, just come to a stop, drop it in 4wd, and slowly pull
around...

You left out the best part.,.. smiling and waving (grin)

Could that be a textbook example of Schadenfreude?

I didn't want to admit to it... but it's true..... -)
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lab Lover" wrote in message

Do you work at rule.com or just like them getting SPAM?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you work at rule.com or just like them getting SPAM?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014 09:48:50 -0500, "BurfordTJustice"
wrote in

"Lab Lover" wrote in message
.. .

Do you work at rule.com or just like them getting SPAM?

Maybe he bought something from them and didn't like the customer
service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Kurt Ullman:
manage it, just come to a stop, drop it in 4wd, and slowly pull
around...

You left out the best part.,.. smiling and waving (grin)

Could that be a textbook example of Schadenfreude?

I didn't want to admit to it... but it's true..... -)

We had an older couple last night in a 2wd pickup trying to get up the
hill to get out of The Holler . Couldn't make it on their own so one of the
neighbors hooked up to them with his 4X4 Chevy truck and was moving them
right on up the hill - when for no apparent reason the woman driving the P/U
put her brakes on witnessed by another neighbor who was waiting for them to
get clear so he could go up . I got kinda ****y , as I was on my way out to
pick the wife up from work ... told the people they had no damn business out
there in those conditions with a 2WD truck . They ended up backing it down
and to the side so we could all get out . Got a call from the Good Sam
neighbor just before we left town that the road was clear , apparently the
woman did the same thing several times before they basically forced her to
let someone else drive her truck up to the flat on top . Good thing they
made it when they did , by the time I got back out here it was slick enough
that I slid a little coming in . Probably that slick in part because of all
the attempts to get those fools out . (I heard later last night that they
were leaving because of a family dispute , not because they really wanted to
..)
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 09:23:02 -0600, CRNG wrote:

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014 09:48:50 -0500, "BurfordTJustice"
wrote in

"Lab Lover" wrote in message
. ..

Do you work at rule.com or just like them getting SPAM?

Maybe he bought something from them and didn't like the customer
service.

Or maybe it is just a way of saying "Labradors Rule".
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lab Lover" wrote in message
On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 09:23:02 -0600, CRNG wrote:

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014 09:48:50 -0500, "BurfordTJustice"
wrote in

"Lab Lover" wrote in message
. ..

Do you work at rule.com or just like them getting SPAM?

Maybe he bought something from them and didn't like the customer
service.

Or maybe it is just a way of saying "Labradors Rule".
--
Never the less dip wad they are getting spam from you posting with it.
25 years experience my ass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...
In article ,
Lab Lover wrote:

It would be an interesting idea to give law enforcement the authority to

pull
the tags when they witness their use by people who are obviously capable

of
unimpeded movement.

Lousy idea. For example, I have one because of severe arthritis. Yet I
don't necessarily limp or have many outward signs of problems.

Agreed. But in DC there are guys (mostly) who grab their elderly parent's
placard and park free at the meters all day, often to work at construction
jobs. Those kinds of miscreants really make it hard for everyone else and
take unfair advantage of the system meant to help the disabled.

While I agree it's not good policy to have cops perform "on the spot
eligibility checks" based on how well someone appears to walk, I think that
some enforcement is required.

I think it's OK for the cops to at least stop someone who's so obviously
able-bodied that they're carrying a toolbelt and a large toolbox. If they
just parked in an HP spot it's not unreasonable for a cop to ask them for
proof that they're actually the handicapped person that the tags were issued
to. The law allows them to do that now in DC - don't know if it was always
so. In addition to having a placard or HP tags, you also need to carry a
separate HP registration card indicating who the tags/placards were issued
to. If they're not around or can't be readily produced, out comes the
multi-hundred dollar ticket. (It was $250 last time I looked, but that was
years ago.)

Of course like all well-intentioned laws, it's going to cause at least one
guy to leave his disabled mom in the car all day to immunize himself from
getting a ticket. )-"

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014 21:30:11 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

Agreed. But in DC there are guys (mostly) who grab their elderly parent's
placard and park free at the meters all day, often to work at construction
jobs

Handicap parking at construction sites in DC?

What are we missing here? Never saw such a thing at construction
sites.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/1/2014 8:13 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Zaky Waky:
350+Lbs breathless wobbler, I wonder how they get in and out.

Maybe with difficulty if they're average height - but if they're
350, the extra room (including shoulder room) probably outweighs the
difficulty.

OTOH, maybe the crip-plates they have are just a scam.

I think there's quite a bit of that going around. In Philadelphia
(PA, USA) the city politicians were getting handicapped tags at one
time. Dunno if anybody's remedied that, but it's an obvious move for
somebody with no sense of shame.

Also not everybody with a handicapped tag is obviously crippled.
Some people can walk normally, but experience pain with every step
and the more steps they take, the more it hurts - and beyond a
certain number of steps, they're not going to get much sleep that
night.

And I'm also guessing that there are people with severe pulmonary
and/or cardiovascular limitations that restrict the distance they can
walk.

Bottom line, though, I suspect there are more phony handicapped tags
out there than most people would like.

I remember reading somewhere that handicap placards were one of the
hottest selling items at flea markets in California. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/1/2014 7:41 AM, Zaky Waky wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in
:

Tony Hwang wrote:
Zaky Waky wrote:
I live in a rural farm area where there are a lot of big
pickup trucks like this:
http://sportscars2013.com/2013-dodge-ram-1500-pickup-truck/
and many of them have "disabled" window-tags or plates because
there are a lot of old people around here driving them. My
questions is: if you are so cripped-up that you need a crip
plate, then how can you climb up and down into that thing?
Since this NG has a lot of old crips hanging around, I thought
this would be a good place to ask. Your not working so you have
the time to answer.
Hi, I am not old by today's standard(just going on 74 this year.
retired in '96). I don't drive PU truck but I drive SUV. It is
not easy to stoop down to get in/out of a car but getting in/out
of SUV is much easier. This is the case at least for us. Wife's
car is also smaller SUV than mine. Obviously you are not old, are
you?

Old or young he/she/it is a troll . Ignore it and it will
eventually go away .

No, I'm really interested in the answer. I'm a young 45 but would
have minor trouble climbing in and out of one of those monsters.
Whenever I see them being driven by a 65+ year old 350+Lbs breathless
wobbler, I wonder how they get in and out.

OTOH, maybe the crip-plates they have are just a scam.

Waky Zaky a punk kid. I wish I was 45 again, back then I would often put
a compressor for a 5 ton AC unit on my shoulder then take it up my
24 foot ladder to a rooftop in order to swap out a burned up compressor.
A couple of years ago I was still working and I changed out a compressor
in a 7.5 ton rooftop condenser but I used a winch to slide it up my 24'
ladder. I still had to wrestle it in and out of the condensing unit but
was able to it. I can't even work on my own vehicle these days and it's
quite frustrating to have trouble with stairs or uneven ground. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Robert Green" wrote:

I think it's OK for the cops to at least stop someone who's so obviously
able-bodied that they're carrying a toolbelt and a large toolbox. If they
just parked in an HP spot it's not unreasonable for a cop to ask them for
proof that they're actually the handicapped person that the tags were issued
to. The law allows them to do that now in DC - don't know if it was always
so. In addition to having a placard or HP tags, you also need to carry a
separate HP registration card indicating who the tags/placards were issued
to. If they're not around or can't be readily produced, out comes the
multi-hundred dollar ticket. (It was $250 last time I looked, but that was
years ago.)

I have no problem with this as part of regular patrols as long as they
do it like most similar tickets... when they are bored (grin).

Of course like all well-intentioned laws, it's going to cause at least one
guy to leave his disabled mom in the car all day to immunize himself from
getting a ticket. )-"

But then we have abuse of elderly, etc., to fall back on which is
most cases would be a felony.
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Agreed. But in DC there are guys (mostly) who grab their elderly parent's
placard and park free at the meters all day, often to work at construction
jobs

Handicap parking at construction sites in DC?

What are we missing here? Never saw such a thing at construction
sites.

He was talking about parking free at nearby meters.
but what they conceal is vital."
-- Aaron Levenstein
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 1, 2014 12:14:34 PM UTC+5:30, Zaky Waky wrote:
I live in a rural farm area where there are a lot of big pickup trucks like

this: http://sportscars2013.com/2013-dodge-ram-1500-pickup-truck/ and

many of them have "disabled" window-tags or plates because there are a lot

of old people around here driving them. My questions is: if you are so

cripped-up that you need a crip plate, then how can you climb up and down

into that thing?

Since this NG has a lot of old crips hanging around, I thought this would

be a good place to ask. Your not working so you have the time to answer.

Washing machines come in two basic types: the familiar top loading machine and front loading machines. Top loading washers are of two basic designs: the direct-drive machine made by Whirlpool (also sold by Sears under the Kenmore brand, but still made by Whirlpool) and the belt-driven machines made by everyone else, including the older Whirlpool machines...yellowvanhandyman.com/washerrepair.aspx
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Lab Lover wrote:

[...]

Stop & placard? Hmm, real good use of resources; especially in DC...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote:
If they're not around or can't be readily produced, out comes the
multi-hundred dollar ticket. (It was $250 last time I looked, but that

was
years ago.)

I have no problem with this as part of regular patrols as long as they
do it like most similar tickets... when they are bored (grin).

Selective enforcement won't go away until all cops/parking enforcement
people are robotic. If you've ever watched "Parking Wars" pieces of that
puzzle are already well in place. The enforcement units in big cities have
camera/software platforms that allow them to drive up and down city streets
scanning all the tags on parked cars and signaling the driver when they get
a hit on a scofflaw. The Google driverless cars are already here. Do the
math. All we need is drones on steroids to come in and lift the car off to
an impound lot and the humans can be dropped out of the equation*. (-;
humor alert

Of course like all well-intentioned laws, it's going to cause at least

one
guy to leave his disabled mom in the car all day to immunize himself

from
getting a ticket. )-"

But then we have abuse of elderly, etc., to fall back on which is
most cases would be a felony.

Just because it's a possible felony doesn't mean some dipwad doesn't already
have his elderly mom sitting in a car all day. It might be a hard case to
make if the parent says "I enjoy knitting while sitting in the car" and
indicates she was there of her own volition. After hearing stories of guys
trying to drag away ATM's with a chain around their bumper and leaving their
bumper (and their license plate!) behind for the cops, I never underestimate
the ingenuity (or lack thereof) of the common criminal idiot.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message news:x4Sdne-

wrote:

Agreed. But in DC there are guys (mostly) who grab their elderly

parent's
placard and park free at the meters all day, often to work at

construction
jobs

Handicap parking at construction sites in DC?

What are we missing here?

Oh, what a tempting straight line. (-:

Never saw such a thing at construction
sites.

He was talking about parking free at nearby meters.

I thought that was as plain as the nose on my face, but you live and learn.
Thanks for interpreting for me, Kurt. (-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Robert Green" wrote:

I thought that was as plain as the nose on my face, but you live and learn.
Thanks for interpreting for me, Kurt. (-:

Dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it.
'