Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT, More Global Warming Hits Alabamastan

On 1/28/2014 11:26 PM, nestork wrote:
The problem is that you guys are experiencing weather you're not used to
and are completely unprepared for.

They're predicting warmer temperatures toward the end of the week
(Friday or Saturday, maybe) as the cold air mass that's pushed it's way
into the southern USA gets displaced by warm air blowing in from the
Pacific Ocean.

Arctic cold displaced by Japanese radiation from
Fuk-U-Shima. Now, that makes for an interesting
week. Get out the old civil defense Geiger counter.
Hungry? Get something to eat at Stop and Glow.
Be stylish, it's so rad. Get your glowing fountain
drinks with 10% real phosphorous.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

In the 1970's, the aluminum foil hat and Chicken Little crowd were
actually howling about, "Global Cooling". o_O
TDD

Aerosol cans, as I remember, were the culprit.

It was hairspray. I'm sure the Hair Gel lobby paid a lot of bribes and
started a publicity campaign to scare dumbasses about the faux danger
posed by hairspray. ^_^

TDD

I remember an episode of All in the Family when
Archie Bunker is spraying a can in the living room
just to irritate Meathead.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 17:05:57 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote in

In article ,
CRNG wrote:

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 11:55:43 -0800, Oren wrote in

Gore and Microsoft founder Bill Gates both made the case that
overpopulation is one factor that is driving global warming."

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/01/28...-tool-combatin
g-climate-change

As much as I consider Gore a buffoon, he and Gates are right, IMO,
about global population growth being a major global problem. Take a
look at China and India. They are the major sources of global
population growth and pollution.

There is no way that they are going to cut back.

But they also don't need to be so poluting. That is a governmental
decision. If anything, they are in a better position to go greenish
because they don't have the infrastructure sunk costs we do.

No, they don't need to be so polluting, but avoiding anti-pollution
costs (as well as worker safety costs) is a large part of their
manufacturing cost advantage over the western industrial nations. They
are not going to give up that advantage anytime soon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Of course not, there are plenty of Chinese. A manufacturing plant or
construction company could lose 100 workers a day and have no trouble
replacing them. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message ...

11:00am, 19°F and snowing like crazy. Ice on bridges and hills, car
accidents everywhere. Schools closing and businesses letting employees
go home. Is it too late to get Global Cooling started up again? I'm
freezing my ass off in this Global Warming. o_O

TDD

Since you cannot do any thing about it. Go with the flow and enjoy life. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2014 11:33 AM, WW wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

11:00am, 19°F and snowing like crazy. Ice on bridges and hills, car
accidents everywhere. Schools closing and businesses letting
employees go home. Is it too late to get Global Cooling started up
again? I'm freezing my ass off in this Global Warming. o_O

TDD

Since you cannot do any thing about it. Go with the flow and enjoy
life. WW

I'm fully exercising my human right to bitch about it. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That really isn't true. One of the major problems Chinese companies
have is worker retention. Training isn't cheap and competition for
them is tough.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 20:16:37 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 1/28/2014 7:10 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 18:47:51 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 1/28/2014 4:57 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Central Alabamastan is all but shut down with parents being
told they should leave their children at school if they can't
safely get to the school to pick them up. The governor had a
news conference about the state of emergency where he has
called out some of the National Guard and the State Emergency
Management Agency has activated all its resources. The ice and
snow was forecast to hit the Southern part of the state so most
of the limited snow clearing equipment was sent South and will
take days to make it back to Northern Alabama. We aren't used
to this nonsense and folks from The South don't know how to
drive on ice and snow so the frigging roads are clogged.
Birmingham is a mountainous area with a lot of hills and
vehicles can't get up the hills and are sliding down them.
People are being asked to stay off the roads but there are
those idiots who don't get it. I live on top of one of the
mountains in the area and there is no way I would think of
pulling out of the driveway. o_O

TDD

There are a few safe drivers in PRNY, but very few. I get out on
the road, and people fly by me, on either right or left, but most
often the right. When possible, I do stay home.

There are still 1,200 children at school, sheltering in place here
in Birmingham.

The idiots in Atlanta did exactly the same. Lefties are really
dumb.

It's 19°F and the roads are iced over now so there's no idea of
what tomorrow will be like but schools across a number of counties
will be closed and I'm betting most businesses will also be closed.
^_^

Yep. I'm not counting on going to work tomorrow.

The problem here in Birmingham is black ice and since I'm on top of a
mountain, I wouldn't pull out of the driveway. It's 19°F and a lot of
roads in the area are impassable and closed. Earlier in the month the
temperature here dropped to around 7°F but people could still drive. I
be cold and Sandy keeps wanting to get in my lap because it's freezing
down there on the floor. o_O

It's really not "black ice" (if you can see it, it's not "black ice").
It's the same 150mi East of you. They did cancel work today and the
whole state is under a state of emergency until noon tomorrow. I'm
giving 5:4 odds that it'll be extended until Friday.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 21:41:56 -0500, Stormin Mormon

The idiots in Atlanta did exactly the same. Lefties are really
dumb.

The problem here in Birmingham is black ice and since I'm on top of a
mountain, I wouldn't pull out of the driveway. It's 19°F and a lot of
roads in the area are impassable and closed. Earlier in the month the
temperature here dropped to around 7°F but people could still drive. I
be cold and Sandy keeps wanting to get in my lap because it's freezing
down there on the floor. o_O

TDD

A friend in SC says the same, it's bone numbing
cold, and there are three inches snow, and that
packs into ice. No snow plows in SC. He figures
to be home today and tomorrow. In the fifties,
Thurs, and should restore the roads.

I hope the shelter in place kids are comfortable
and safe.

So of the lefties running the schools in Atlanta let the kids leave
school on busses, which got stuck overnight. Many more are sheltered
in place at the schools. It's not like there was no warning. The
forecasts were dead-on.

Home Depot opened all of its stores, overnight, for anyone who needed
a warm place("Pull up a stack of plywood and get a good night's
sleep."). Since they tend to be close to major highways, hundreds are
taking advantage of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 05:26:56 +0100, nestork
wrote:

The problem is that you guys are experiencing weather you're not used to
and are completely unprepared for.

Absolutely. The roads were normal, compared to a typical day when we
lived in Vermont. Here, it's a (somewhat less than) major disaster.
It took me almost two hours to get home and I had to go 20mi. out of
my way because of impassable roads. People in Vermont would have
laughed at the carnival.

They're predicting warmer temperatures toward the end of the week
(Friday or Saturday, maybe) as the cold air mass that's pushed it's way
into the southern USA gets displaced by warm air blowing in from the
Pacific Ocean.

Yeah, it's supposed to be 45F Friday, rising 10F each day for the next
couple. It'll all be gone by Sunday.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Christ! Is everyone Humor Irony Sarcasm Impaired? China has a huge
problem right now because there are not enough young women for the young
men. China had a one child per couple policy that may have caused
couples to abort female babies so they the single child would be a boy.
I'm guessing that Chinese tradition calls for at least one son to carry
on the family name. o_O

http://www.theguardian.com/world/200...atio-women-men

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ona8fm6

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2014 11:33 AM, WW wrote:

Since you cannot do any thing about it. Go with the flow and enjoy
life. WW

I'm fully exercising my human right to bitch about it. ^_^

TDD

I thought you'd follow WW's advice, and get in your
vehicle and go get crammed into a traffic pile up
like (it sounds like) he suggested.

In my case, I need milk, eggs, ice cream. I've got
other stuff to eat, so I'll go to bed early and
go to the store tomorrow. Supposed to warm up to
+15F or so, in the daylight.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On 1/28/2014 7:56 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

There are still 1,200 children at school, sheltering in place here
in Birmingham. It's 19°F and the roads are iced over now so there's
no idea of what tomorrow will be like but schools across a number
of counties will be closed and I'm betting most businesses will
also be closed. ^_^

TDD

I hope someone can truck in some sleeping pads, blankets, etc. Of
course in high school they have body heat. Something called sex, they
talked about, but I never did get it figured.

Back in the last century when I was in high school, we had wrestling
mats and mats used for the PE classes. So high school students can stay
warm by practicing wrestling moves and participating in Physical
Education. ^_^

TDD

I liked the practical exam...

--
Tekkie
Senior Member

Believe it or not, but it's in difficult circumstances like these that Americans pull together. Your country no longer becomes 70% white and 20% black and 10% Hispanic or 60% Catholic and 40% Other. You all become Americans.

On those highway traffic jams in Georgia there were people going around to the stranded cars and trucks and giving out food and drink to the drivers. Garages, coffee shops and restaurants along highways allowed stranded motorists to sleep on their floors and make long distance phone calls on their phones. Apparantly, even one baby was delivered by a policeman during a traffic jam, and baby "Grace" was so named because it was a miracle that both mother and baby survived childbirth in the middle of a highway traffic jam.

It's during those times when you face a common enemy (in this case the weather) that you guys recognize the need to co-operate and you pull together to help each other out.

Congratulations.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 03:44:08 +0100, nestork
wrote:

[...]

Correct and true. Called Southern hospitality. Southerners will take
you into their homes, feed you, give warmth and comfort and not one
will ask for anything in return. Ya'll come back now, ya hear?

Glad you noticed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2014 9:44 PM, nestork wrote:

[...]

I'm also encouraged. I don't know much about
the crisis, but your description sounds reason-
able. I can believe people helping each other.

Wonder what would have happened if FEMA had been
in charge? Bus everyone to the Super Dome, with no
power or utilities, and keep everyone captive until
it's 68F again? Ten page intake form to fill out
in black ink (press hard, you are making three
copies) and racial quotas in place. Affirmative
Action rescue, can't help you till we find two
more N-people. After what your ancestors did, you
realize.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2014 8:44 PM, nestork wrote:

[...]

When we had tornadoes ravage Alabamastan a few years ago, it was
everyday people who took action before FEMA and other government
agencies even woke up. The evil Conservative radio talks shows suspended
regular programming and became ad hoc call centers and clearing houses
for people in need of assistance and those offering to help, plus
thousands of ignorant racist Southerners got together and helped anyone
who needed help, anyone. The same thing has happened now but there is no
widespread damage like after the tornadoes but there were thousands of
stranded people in need of assistance and once again, it was the regular
folks who stepped up by opening their homes and businesses to people in
need. There was a social media network that appeared out of thin air to
get owners of 4WD vehicles and others offering help to get out to
stranded motorists. I get angry whenever
anyone calls Southerners stupid, selfish, racist, etc but the truth is,
I wouldn't live anywhere else. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:

can believe people helping each other.

Wonder what would have happened if FEMA had been
in charge? Bus everyone to the Super Dome, with no
power or utilities, and keep everyone captive until
it's 68F again?

In fairness to FEMA (and that is very painful), the SD thingy was 100%
according to the local's plan. Their plan (and one that had been in
place for years) was to only have people ride out the storm in the SD
and then be parceled out to real shelters. It was specifically stated
in the plan at the time, that the SD wasn't supposed to be staffed and
provisioned because it was thought a waste of time. The problem came
about when the flooding occurred and took away the option of parcelling
out the people and no one had thought about what to do next.
Also, every disaster plan from the 70s forward has been based on the
assumption that the locals were on their own for 3 days whilst the Feds
put things in place. Also (part #2) FEMA, per its mission statement, is
only to assist and not replace the locals. Also (part #3) it was a
perfect storm in that none of the major participants in the (Dem)
governor and the (Dem) mayor (who was recently indicted on corruption
charges) and Brownie should have been let out in public without adult
supervision. WHen the adults were in charge (the Coasties throughout and
the military later on) things began to go better.
--
łStatistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.˛
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 07:17:39 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

[...]

Chick-fil-A (owned by a Christian) gave out hundreds of sandwiches out
on Highway 280. Refused to take money from motorist and employees are
said to have volunteered.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 07:41:50 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 1/29/2014 9:44 PM, nestork wrote:

Believe it or not, but it's in difficult circumstances like these that
Americans pull together. Your country no longer becomes 70% white and
20% black and 10% Hispanic or 60% Catholic and 40% Other. You all
become Americans.

On those highway traffic jams in Georgia there were people going around
to the stranded cars and trucks and giving out food and drink to the
drivers. Garages, coffee shops and restaurants along highways allowed
stranded motorists to sleep on their floors and make long distance phone
calls on their phones. Apparantly, even one baby was delivered by a
policeman during a traffic jam, and baby "Grace" was so named because it
was a miracle that both mother and baby survived childbirth in the
middle of a highway traffic jam.

One father delivered his child in a traffic jam, too. She started
contractions and called him. He made it home from work but they only
made it half way to the hospital before they got stuck in traffic.

It's during those times when you face a common enemy (in this case the
weather) that you guys recognize the need to co-operate and you pull
together to help each other out.

Congratulations.

I'm also encouraged. I don't know much about
the crisis, but your description sounds reason-
able. I can believe people helping each other.

Wonder what would have happened if FEMA had been
in charge? Bus everyone to the Super Dome, with no
power or utilities, and keep everyone captive until
it's 68F again? Ten page intake form to fill out
in black ink (press hard, you are making three
copies) and racial quotas in place. Affirmative
Action rescue, can't help you till we find two
more N-people. After what your ancestors did, you
realize.

Well, it would have been the Georgia Dome, but the rest is a pretty
good guess.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 08:45:42 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...]

Was the plan also to marshal all of the busses under water and for
their drivers to split town before?

FEMA didn't screw up the SD deal. They totally screwed up the next
few weeks, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

More than one. BTW I280 is the loop around Atlanta. It was a 64mi
parking lot Tuesday night. the entire city was red on the GPS Tuesday
night.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Then why do you refer to Alabama as "Alabamastan"? Which I believe
would be interpreted in a derogatory way by many people. The folks
you describe sound like nice people very willing to help other people.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 12:58:42 -0600, CRNG
wrote:

I wouldn't live anywhere else. ^_^

Then why do you refer to Alabama as "Alabamastan"?

Look up "term of endearment".

People in the South are not always as serious and uptight as people
walking around with a feather duster stuck in their ass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Damn those evil Christians. They should give free food to everyone now,
especially in the underprivileged neighborhoods. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I wouldn't live anywhere else. ^_^

Then why do you refer to Alabama as "Alabamastan"?

Look up "term of endearment".

People in the South are not always as serious and uptight as people
walking around with a feather duster stuck in their ass.

H.I.S.I., pronounced "hissy" Humor Irony Sarcasm Impairment is a mental
disorder affecting many people of different political persuasions. It
affects those who take themselves way too seriously and it often drives
them to have H.I.S.I. fits where they respond with great umbrage to the
spoken or written words that escape their understanding. They just don't
grok it. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/30/2014 9:41 AM, Oren wrote:
Chick-fil-A (owned by a Christian) gave out hundreds of sandwiches out
on Highway 280. Refused to take money from motorist and employees are
said to have volunteered.

Damn those evil Christians. They should give free food to everyone now,
especially in the underprivileged neighborhoods. ^_^

TDD

What gets fed, flourishes.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I wouldn't live anywhere else. ^_^

Then why do you refer to Alabama as "Alabamastan"?

Look up "term of endearment".

People in the South are not always as serious and uptight as people
walking around with a feather duster stuck in their ass.

H.I.S.I., pronounced "hissy" Humor Irony Sarcasm Impairment is a mental
disorder affecting many people of different political persuasions. It
affects those who take themselves way too seriously and it often drives
them to have H.I.S.I. fits where they respond with great umbrage to the
spoken or written words that escape their understanding. They just don't
grok it. ^_^

TDD

I understanding what you mean. My take on a "hissy fit" (being from
the South) is when a two year old stomps their feet, jumping up and
down, screaming with impromptu alligator tears, and making a scene for
attention. They get tired after awhile if you leave them alone.

In general terms, the same thing. I live in Nevadatucky now
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Not even in the Playboy mansion? What would be your example of your ultimate digs?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

wrote:

I wouldn't live anywhere else. ^_^

Then why do you refer to Alabama as "Alabamastan"?

Look up "term of endearment".

People in the South are not always as serious and uptight as people
walking around with a feather duster stuck in their ass.

I like it when clean the house that way...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 18:01:02 -0500, Stormin Mormon

On 1/30/2014 9:41 AM, Oren wrote:
Chick-fil-A (owned by a Christian) gave out hundreds of sandwiches out
on Highway 280. Refused to take money from motorist and employees are
said to have volunteered.

Damn those evil Christians. They should give free food to everyone now,
especially in the underprivileged neighborhoods. ^_^

TDD

What gets fed, flourishes.

I saw this today G

"If you are stranded in the snow, don't call 911. Contact Atlanta
Police via Facebook or Twitter. #iampinnedundermycar
#cantfeelmyextremities #selfie"
Posted to alt.home.repair

there were thousands of
stranded people in need of assistance and once again, it was the regular
folks who stepped up by opening their homes and businesses to people in
need. There was a social media network that appeared out of thin air to
get owners of 4WD vehicles and others offering help to get out to
stranded motorists. I get angry whenever
anyone calls Southerners stupid, selfish, racist, etc but the truth is,
I wouldn't live anywhere else. ^_^

TDD

http://allenbwest.com/2014/01/christ...way-free-food/

Aparently the Chick Fil A guys decided to go
out and feed people on the road, for free.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/30/2014 9:41 AM, Oren wrote:
Chick-fil-A (owned by a Christian) gave out hundreds of sandwiches out
on Highway 280. Refused to take money from motorist and employees are
said to have volunteered.

Damn those evil Christians. They should give free food to everyone now,
especially in the underprivileged neighborhoods. ^_^

TDD

What gets fed, flourishes.

I saw this today G

"If you are stranded in the snow, don't call 911. Contact Atlanta
Police via Facebook or Twitter. #iampinnedundermycar
#cantfeelmyextremities #selfie"

Are lefties running our cities smart, or what?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2014 6:58 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

there were thousands of stranded people in need of assistance and
once again, it was the regular folks who stepped up by opening
their homes and businesses to people in need. There was a social
media network that appeared out of thin air to get owners of 4WD
vehicles and others offering help to get out to stranded motorists.
I get angry whenever anyone calls Southerners stupid, selfish,
racist, etc but the truth is, I wouldn't live anywhere else. ^_^

TDD

http://allenbwest.com/2014/01/christ...way-free-food/

Aparently the Chick Fil A guys decided to go out and feed people on
the road, for free.

There are good people all over the country. I watched a video of a bunch
of Mormon kids helping people in a New Jersey neighborhood that had been
ravaged by Hurricane Sandy. When tornadoes ripped through my
home state of Alabama, we received donations and help from all over the
country even New York. I know folks from around here who sent donations
of food and clothing to help the first responders after the Twin Towers
came down because of the terrorist attack. I think we even had public
safety people from around here travel to New York to lend a hand. It's
unfortunate that there are a number of people who wouldn't lift a finger
to help their fellow man but among Americans, they're in the minority. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

There are good people all over the country. I watched a video of a bunch
of Mormon kids helping people in a New Jersey neighborhood that had been
ravaged by Hurricane Sandy. When tornadoes ripped through my
home state of Alabama, we received donations and help from all over the
country even New York. I know folks from around here who sent donations
of food and clothing to help the first responders after the Twin Towers
came down because of the terrorist attack. I think we even had public
safety people from around here travel to New York to lend a hand. It's
unfortunate that there are a number of people who wouldn't lift a finger
to help their fellow man but among Americans, they're in the minority. ^_^

TDD

I think the spirit of can do, and help out will
help save the USA from the Marxist revolution.
I sure hope us old guys can teach that to the next
generation, if we can ever get them damn ear buds
out of their heads for a few minutes.

--
..
Christopher A. Young