Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceramic tile install cost

I'm nearing the end of a bathroom remodel. I took out the tub and will
have a 60" shower instead. All new fixtures and vanity, etc. The guy
doing the ceramic tile is a perfectionist. He is going to a lot of
extremes to make everything perfect. My concern though, is he may not
be charging enough.

The job entails 185 sq ft of wall tile a 4" trim strip if class tiles,
bullnose edge, and 40 sq. ft. of floor tile. Epoxy grout on walls and
floor.

Anyone have a ball park per foot cost for installation? I'm paying for
all materials so he is just providing labor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 19:47:58 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'm nearing the end of a bathroom remodel. I took out the tub and will
have a 60" shower instead. All new fixtures and vanity, etc. The guy
doing the ceramic tile is a perfectionist. He is going to a lot of
extremes to make everything perfect. My concern though, is he may not
be charging enough.

The job entails 185 sq ft of wall tile a 4" trim strip if class tiles,
bullnose edge, and 40 sq. ft. of floor tile. Epoxy grout on walls and
floor.

Anyone have a ball park per foot cost for installation? I'm paying for
all materials so he is just providing labor.

A lot depends on where you're located. A California job compared to a
job in the boondocks in another state could be a sizeable difference.
Try getting a test quote from Menards or Home Depot to find what may
be comparable in your area. When the job is done if you feel his
price was too low you could always tip him well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/12/2014 9:08 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

A lot depends on where you're located. A California job compared to a
job in the boondocks in another state could be a sizeable difference.
Try getting a test quote from Menards or Home Depot to find what may
be comparable in your area. When the job is done if you feel his
price was too low you could always tip him well.

Not that simple. They want to do an "in home consultation" Aside from
the job nearing finished, I don't want to invest a couple of hours with
them.

I want this guy to do some other tile work down the road so I want to be
sure he is happy doing it.

I've heard numbers from $7 to $10 and that sees fair depending on
complexity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/12/2014 9:08 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

A lot depends on where you're located. A California job compared to
a job in the boondocks in another state could be a sizeable
difference. Try getting a test quote from Menards or Home Depot to
find what may be comparable in your area. When the job is done if
you feel his price was too low you could always tip him well.

Not that simple. They want to do an "in home consultation" Aside from
the job nearing finished, I don't want to invest a couple of hours
with them.

I want this guy to do some other tile work down the road so I want to
be sure he is happy doing it.

I've heard numbers from $7 to $10 and that sees fair depending on
complexity.

In the Memphis area tile work goes for around 6-8 bucks per square foot
for a standard install . Since you've got some higher-end stuff going on ,
I'd think your tile guy's bill would be a bit higher - if you're paying him
less than around $2000 total you're getting a good deal . This guesstimate
also includes installing the backer board and the shower pan , and doing a
sand/cement "dry mix" floor not really dry , but damp instead of "wet" .
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/12/2014 10:26 PM, Snag wrote:

I've heard numbers from $7 to $10 and that sees fair depending on
complexity.

In the Memphis area tile work goes for around 6-8 bucks per square foot
for a standard install . Since you've got some higher-end stuff going on ,
I'd think your tile guy's bill would be a bit higher - if you're paying him
less than around $2000 total you're getting a good deal . This guesstimate
also includes installing the backer board and the shower pan , and doing a
sand/cement "dry mix" floor not really dry , but damp instead of "wet" .

There are some extras to add to that base of $2000. One wall was a bit
out of plumb and is now perfect. There is the row of glass that is
thinner than the tile so he had to build up the strip there. His price
is $220, but I think $2500 is more fair if you count all the hous he has
into it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/12/2014 10:26 PM, Snag wrote:

I've heard numbers from $7 to $10 and that sees fair depending on
complexity.

In the Memphis area tile work goes for around 6-8 bucks per square foot
for a standard install . Since you've got some higher-end stuff going on ,
I'd think your tile guy's bill would be a bit higher - if you're paying him
less than around $2000 total you're getting a good deal . This guesstimate
also includes installing the backer board and the shower pan , and doing a
sand/cement "dry mix" floor not really dry , but damp instead of "wet" .

There are some extras to add to that base of $2000. One wall was a bit
out of plumb and is now perfect. There is the row of glass that is
thinner than the tile so he had to build up the strip there. His price
is $220, but I think $2500 is more fair if you count all the hous he has into it.

Allow me to be the first to say it...

$220? Holy crap! That's a great price. What's his name? I'll pay his air
fare to have him retile my bathroom.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2014 7:07 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

There are some extras to add to that base of $2000. One wall was a bit
out of plumb and is now perfect. There is the row of glass that is
thinner than the tile so he had to build up the strip there. His price
is $220, but I think $2500 is more fair if you count all the hous he has into it.

Allow me to be the first to say it...

$220? Holy crap! That's a great price. What's his name? I'll pay his air
fare to have him retile my bathroom.

Hey, what's a zero between friends?

John (the tile guy) came from a recommendation. He came and saw what
had to be done and made some recommendations. Then we decided to do
some more work and he came out again. He must have made a half dozen
trips to be sure everything was right in both the prep and material.

Once he started, "good enough" isn't. He is meticulous in the layout
and details. Every cut must be perfect. If the mitered bullnose at the
top corner is 3", the bottom is 3" also making it visually smooth.

I could not ask for a better job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I think Ed dropped a zero there , DD . But my estimate of $2k wasn't far
off ... done a bit of tile work in the past . Profitably .
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

Go cheap with unskilled labor. Why pay a premium for an experienced artist?

If it was so ****ing easy a cheap asshole like you could do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/14/2014 8:02 AM, Daring Dufas: Hypocrite TeaBillie on welfare wrote:
Go cheap with unskilled labor. Why pay a premium for an experienced artist?

If it was so ****ing easy a cheap asshole like you could do it.

I'm not cheap. I bought the guys a pint of Vodka to get started. If
they wake u p, I'll get them another pint so they can do another wall.
BTW, what side of the tile goes towards the wall? Does it matter?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/14/2014 10:14 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
If it was so ****ing easy a cheap asshole like you could do it.

I'm not cheap. I bought the guys a pint of Vodka to get started. If
they wake u p, I'll get them another pint so they can do another wall.
BTW, what side of the tile goes towards the wall? Does it matter?

No estas vodka, senor. Tequilla, muchas!

Can't get good illegal help, any more.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 19:47:58 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'm nearing the end of a bathroom remodel. I took out the tub and will
have a 60" shower instead. All new fixtures and vanity, etc. The guy
doing the ceramic tile is a perfectionist. He is going to a lot of
extremes to make everything perfect. My concern though, is he may not
be charging enough.

The job entails 185 sq ft of wall tile a 4" trim strip if class tiles,
bullnose edge, and 40 sq. ft. of floor tile. Epoxy grout on walls and
floor.

Anyone have a ball park per foot cost for installation? I'm paying for
all materials so he is just providing labor.

Somewhere from $0.50 to $500.00 per hour should be about right. Of
course if you're not in the US, you will haev to convert to your
currency.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/15/2014 2:19 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

He finished up this morning. I'm going to pay him at least $200 more

than he is asking for. I also have some more work for him.

Ed, this does my heart good. So much of the other kind of employer around, alas. You will always get great work from this guy, and I hope he will get work via your recommendations. To get tile work cost, would the place where you bought your materials give you a ballpark for different types of work?

HB

Unusual, but good situation. He prices by the job to be competitive and
knows he will suffer on the hourly rate because he is so fussy and won't
do less than perfect work. Even paying more, I'm getting a good deal.
He also spent a lot of time with us planning and I gave him some freedom
as to the best way to do things. win-win