Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceramic tile install over a sealed concrete floor?

Hi all -

Getting ready for a ceramic tile install this weekend in my basement & ran
into a possible last minute "uh-oh"

....I'm installing 13x13 tile using VersaBond thinset from Lowes over part
of the concrete slab in my basement. Someone just mentioned to me that it
can't be installed over a sealed concrete floor.

I _think_, but am not entirely sure that the floor was sealed after it was
poured around 10 years ago. On the VersaBond bag it does say to remove
sealant before applying.

I did a test with some water on various parts of the area I'm going to
install the tile. When I poured the water onto the concrete it did pool a
little... but after it either all soaked in (for smaller pours) or I wiped
it up (on the larger pours), it did leave the concrete a wet color. Some
of the dark areas were uniform in color, others had a snakeskin sort of
pattern going on.

Will I be ok putting down the thinset as long as liquid does absorb into
the floor - and leave it discolored - basically leaves a 'wet spot'?

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

Alex wrote:
[...]

Installing ceramic tile is not cheap. Do it the correct way. If you
do not and it fails to adhere to the floor, you have one expensive mess.

On the other hand, if you do it right it will last for years and you
will be glad you installed it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Will I be ok putting down the thinset as long as liquid does absorb
into the floor - and leave it discolored - basically leaves a 'wet
spot'?

Thanks!

Installing ceramic tile is not cheap. Do it the correct way. If
you
do not and it fails to adhere to the floor, you have one expensive
mess.

On the other hand, if you do it right it will last for years and
you
will be glad you installed it.

Trying to! That's why I asked the question... thanks...

If water soaks into the floor and leaves it discolored - rather than
beading and staying on top does that mean I'm getting enough penetration
for the thinset?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Alex wrote:
Will I be ok putting down the thinset as long as liquid does
absorb into the floor - and leave it discolored - basically
leaves a 'wet spot'?

Thanks!

Installing ceramic tile is not cheap. Do it the correct way.
If you
do not and it fails to adhere to the floor, you have one expensive
mess.

On the other hand, if you do it right it will last for years
and you
will be glad you installed it.

Trying to! That's why I asked the question... thanks...

If water soaks into the floor and leaves it discolored - rather than
beading and staying on top does that mean I'm getting enough
penetration for the thinset?

Yes.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 04:06:19 GMT, Alex wrote:

Will I be ok putting down the thinset as long as liquid does absorb
into the floor - and leave it discolored - basically leaves a 'wet
spot'?

Thanks!

Installing ceramic tile is not cheap. Do it the correct way. If
you
do not and it fails to adhere to the floor, you have one expensive
mess.

On the other hand, if you do it right it will last for years and
you
will be glad you installed it.

Trying to! That's why I asked the question... thanks...

If water soaks into the floor and leaves it discolored - rather than
beading and staying on top does that mean I'm getting enough penetration
for the thinset?

It is practically impossible to screw up when installing ceramic tile
on concrete.

Even if it is sealed, you just have to let it dry longer before
walking on it. Might take 2 weeks to set firmly so spend a few extra
minutes and remove the seal best you can.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 5:39 pm, Alex wrote:
[...]

I've installed tile over concrete before and never had problems. As
long as the basement floor is not painted or at the very least the
surface "roughed up" a little, the thinset will adhere with no problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 5:39 pm, Alex wrote:
[...]

Can you run a floor sander to roughen up the surface? That's what I
did on my garage floor before installing an epoxy coating. I could not
positively verify whether it was sealed or not. It took just 15
minutes using a rented floor sander.