DaddyMonkey

Default Should I Install Ceramic Tile UNDER the Bathtub ???

The OLD bathtub was cast iron.
It was 60"x30"x16" and an estimated weight of about 250 pounds (dry).

I'm going to be installing a jetted tub within this 3-Wall
nitch/cove of about the same size (60x30x20). This new tub will be
acrylic/fiberglass, which weighs less than the old cast iron tub I
removed.

My question is... Would installing ceramic tile UNDER this new tub
HELP with protecting against water damage to the sub-flooring... or, am
I asking for future trouble by ending up with a bunch of cracked tiles?

I don't really know the weight of the jetted tub... but I will
get back to you if needed. (I'm looking at the Jacuzzi Luxura 530,
#N790). Thanks in advance!

God bless,
David

xrongor

i thin layer of plastic is just as waterproof and much cheaper. which isnt
to say its gonna be waterproof. tile or plastic, you would need to
caulk/seal where the pipes go through. or to put it another way, you arent
going to turn your floor into a submarine.

in short, the best way to protect against water damage to the sub floor is
to keep the tub from leaking. once its leaked, you got a problem. its
gonna go somewhere.

randy

"DaddyMonkey" wrote in message
The OLD bathtub was cast iron.
It was 60"x30"x16" and an estimated weight of about 250 pounds (dry).

I'm going to be installing a jetted tub within this 3-Wall
nitch/cove of about the same size (60x30x20). This new tub will be
acrylic/fiberglass, which weighs less than the old cast iron tub I
removed.

My question is... Would installing ceramic tile UNDER this new tub
HELP with protecting against water damage to the sub-flooring... or, am
I asking for future trouble by ending up with a bunch of cracked tiles?

I don't really know the weight of the jetted tub... but I will
get back to you if needed. (I'm looking at the Jacuzzi Luxura 530,
#N790). Thanks in advance!

God bless,
David

DaddyMonkey

I have the bathroom 'gutted' and my next step will be adding
tile... starting with the floor.

It's not a big bathroom (6x8ft), but I was wondering if I should
go ahead and tile WITHIN the nitch/cove that the tub will soon fit
into...

I plan on putting sound-deadening insulation inbetween the wall
studs and then putting up roofing felt between the backer-board at the
wall studs.

Can I use roofing felt (15#) on the floor?... right now, the
flooring is plywood.
Thanks!

God bless,
David

MAG

In article ,
says...
The OLD bathtub was cast iron.
It was 60"x30"x16" and an estimated weight of about 250 pounds (dry).

I'm going to be installing a jetted tub within this 3-Wall
nitch/cove of about the same size (60x30x20). This new tub will be
acrylic/fiberglass, which weighs less than the old cast iron tub I
removed.

My question is... Would installing ceramic tile UNDER this new tub
HELP with protecting against water damage to the sub-flooring... or, am
I asking for future trouble by ending up with a bunch of cracked tiles?

I don't really know the weight of the jetted tub... but I will
get back to you if needed. (I'm looking at the Jacuzzi Luxura 530,
#N790). Thanks in advance!

God bless,
David

DM-

I'm nearing the end of a similar project, though my old tub (also
60x30x16) was steel. When I brought out the maul to break up what I
thought was an iron tub, it bounced!! It was just about murder getting
that tub out.

Anyway, most whirlpool tubs are supposed to be set in mortar to support
the floor of the tub. Check the installation instructions for your tub;
you can probably find 'em online. I wound up using expanding foam
instead; long story but it worked out great.

I advise against tiling under the tub. As others have mentioned, there
should never be water under it, and there are other ways to protect the
floor in the event of the odd leak.

Be careful about tub dimensions. When I was shopping around, the
smallest I found was a 32 inches. I was able to make this fit. They
also had 32.75 inch versions. Measure carefully.

Marc