Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GE Dryer, press start just hear a humming sound

I just hear a humming sound when I press start. Model is dpsb620ec4ww. How do I pop the top off so I can inspect the belt? What else should I look for?
Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

noname wrote:
I just hear a humming sound when I press start. Model is dpsb620ec4ww. How do I pop the top off so I can inspect the belt? What else should I look for?
Thanks.

HI,
Check the belt capacitor?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 6, 2014 10:19:10 AM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:
noname wrote:

I just hear a humming sound when I press start. Model is dpsb620ec4ww. How do I pop the top off so I can inspect the belt? What else should I look for?

Thanks.

HI,

Check the belt capacitor?

I just opened the top, can't see a belt. Replace belt and see what happens, right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/06/2014 09:06 AM, noname wrote:
I just hear a humming sound when I press start. Model is dpsb620ec4ww. How do I pop the top off so I can inspect the belt? What else should I look for?
Thanks.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDeta...airHelp=Tr ue
Posted to alt.home.repair

noname wrote:

I just hear a humming sound when I press start. Model is dpsb620ec4ww. How do I pop the top off so I can inspect the belt? What else should I look for?

Thanks.

HI,

Check the belt capacitor?

I just opened the top, can't see a belt. Replace belt and see what happens, right?

Crap, it isn't the belt I was looking in the wrong place.

How can I debug this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Jan 2014 07:24:59 -0800 (PST), noname
wrote in

I just opened the top, can't see a belt. Replace belt and see what happens, right?

Yes, that's a good start.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Jan 2014 07:06:03 -0800 (PST), noname
wrote:

I just hear a humming sound when I press start. Model is dpsb620ec4ww.

How do I pop the top off so I can inspect the belt? What else should I
look for?
Thanks.

I cant tell you how to open the top, but most of them have a few screws
at the rear of the top. Remove them, and the top should lift upward, or
slide to the front. There are often spring loaded snaps.

See if a belt is "locked up", but before even removing the top, stick
your arm in the hole behind the lint filter, and remove the vent hose,
and do the same. A stocking stuck in the blower will lock up the motor.
Thisd is a good time to clean out all the stuck lint too. Use a small
brush in there. Of course unplug it before doing this.

If the motor itself will not spin, it could be a bad capacitor, or the
motor is just dead or has bad bearings. I'd check the lint blower
first, then if it's not that, remove the top, and take the belt off the
motor, and see if motor will run.

Posted to alt.home.repair

noname wrote:

I just hear a humming sound when I press start. Model is
dpsb620ec4ww. How do I pop the top off so I can inspect the
belt? What else should I look for?

I just opened the top, can't see a belt. Replace belt and see what happens, right?

Crap, it isn't the belt I was looking in the wrong place.

How can I debug this?

If you see belt and it's not moving, next step is check
if motor turning.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
On 01/06/2014 09:06 AM, noname wrote:
I just hear a humming sound when I press start. Model is
dpsb620ec4ww. How do I pop the top off so I can inspect the belt? What
else should I look for? Thanks.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDeta...airHelp=Tr ue

I use that website all the time to figure out appliance problems, cost of
parts, how to do the repairs, etc.

Here's what it says for the OP's dryer symptoms:

http://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHe...t-DPSB620EC4WW

"On most dryers the drive motor turns the drum and the blower wheel to
exhaust the air. If the dryer won't start the motor might be defective.
Before replacing the motor, check the thermal fuse, start switch and door
switch because all three are more likely the cause. If the dryer won't start
and the dryer motor makes a humming noise there might be something caught in
the blower wheel, or the drum might be binding. Try removing the belt from
the motor and checking the blower wheel for obstructions. The dryer motor
can't be tested easily. If the more common components have been checked and
it seems the motor itself is defective, it will need to be replaced. It is
not serviceable."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/06/2014 10:11 AM, TomR wrote:
philo wrote:
[...]

Yep. I kept my old Sears going for something like 30 years. Just needed
a new belt once in a while (or an idler arm). Eventually the motor went
so I bought a new drier not much different from the original.

They tried real hard to sell me a service contract. G

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/06/2014 07:06 AM, noname wrote:
I just hear a humming sound when I press start. Model is
dpsb620ec4ww. How do I pop the top off so I can inspect the belt?
What else should I look for? Thanks.

I had a dryer like that, I was able to get it going by manually turning
the drum while pressing the start switch. I thought it was the bearings
going out, but now that I think about it, it could have been a bad
centrifugal switch as well.

Anyway you might also check to see if anything is stuck in the fan in
the back. Take off the exhaust hose, unplug the unit, and pull it back
from the wall. The top should pop off by inserting a wedge on either
side until the holders come free (probably best to follow some sort of
online guide for this).

Jon
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 6, 2014 11:33:41 AM UTC-5, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 01/06/2014 07:06 AM, noname wrote:

I just hear a humming sound when I press start. Model is

dpsb620ec4ww. How do I pop the top off so I can inspect the belt?

What else should I look for? Thanks.

I had a dryer like that, I was able to get it going by manually turning

the drum while pressing the start switch. I thought it was the bearings

going out, but now that I think about it, it could have been a bad

centrifugal switch as well.

Anyway you might also check to see if anything is stuck in the fan in

the back. Take off the exhaust hose, unplug the unit, and pull it back

from the wall. The top should pop off by inserting a wedge on either

side until the holders come free (probably best to follow some sort of

online guide for this).

Jon

I got it going. There is a felt loop (for insulation I guess) that seals the front of drum to the front door assembly. The thing had broken or something. I just took it out, left the top off, pressed start while spinning, now it works. Should I replace that felt drum seal thing? It didn't seem to affect me spinning it by hand, so I am worried this wasn't the problem. Should that felt thing have an imprint from the drum spinning against it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/06/2014 10:50 AM, noname wrote:
Xshould pop off by inserting a wedge on either

side until the holders come free (probably best to follow some sort of

online guide for this).

Jon

I got it going. There is a felt loop (for insulation I guess) that seals the front of drum to the front door assembly. The thing had broken or something. I just took it out, left the top off, pressed start while spinning, now it works. Should I replace that felt drum seal thing? It didn't seem to affect me spinning it by hand, so I am worried this wasn't the problem. Should that felt thing have an imprint from the drum spinning against it?

I think that felt helps hold the drum in place, you should get a new one.
Not likely to be anything else wrong.

BTW: Now is a good time to clean out the vent pipe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I had a repairguy come to fix my Kenmore (Whirlpool) washing machine.
I had tried to remove the casing to get to the innards to no avail after
taking out screws behind the control panel. I replaced the screws and
called the repair guy.
It took him about 3 seconds to get to the innards.
With a scraper, he slid it under the washer top and control panel in two
places and unclipped something, then grabbed inside the top hole with
two hands and lifted and pulled the whole casing off. It was one piece,
consisting of the top, both sides, and front of the cabinet. Not a
single screw was touched.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GE Dryer, versus whirlpool direct drive washer

On 1/6/2014 1:14 PM, willshak wrote:

I had a repairguy come to fix my Kenmore (Whirlpool) washing machine.
I had tried to remove the casing to get to the innards to no avail after
taking out screws behind the control panel. I replaced the screws and
called the repair guy.
It took him about 3 seconds to get to the innards.
With a scraper, he slid it under the washer top and control panel in two
places and unclipped something, then grabbed inside the top hole with
two hands and lifted and pulled the whole casing off. It was one piece,
consisting of the top, both sides, and front of the cabinet. Not a
single screw was touched.

Yep, the famous whirlpool direct drive washers.
I've taken them apart, and it's spooky how fast
the metal casing comes off. "Gee, it's naked!"
was my thought when I first saw someone do that.
The direct drive couplers are famous for going
bad. The new ones are about 1/8 inch thicker, and
are a real PIA to get in.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2014 11:50 AM, noname wrote:

I got it going. There is a felt loop (for insulation

I guess) that seals the front of drum to the front door
assembly. The thing had broken or something. I just
took it out, left the top off, pressed start while
spinning, now it works. Should I replace that felt
drum seal thing? It didn't seem to affect me spinning
it by hand, so I am worried this wasn't the problem.
Should that felt thing have an imprint from the drum
spinning against it?

The felt strip provides a little bit of lubrication.
It's a fairly common replacement part.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

noname wrote:

I just hear a humming sound when I press start. Model is dpsb620ec4ww. How do I pop the top off so I can inspect the belt? What else should I look for?

Thanks.

HI,

Check the belt capacitor?

I just opened the top, can't see a belt. Replace belt and see what happens, right?

Crap, it isn't the belt I was looking in the wrong place.

How can I debug this?

Try to hand turn the drum. If you can, the belt is broken. The belt
runs around the drum with a spring tensioner by the motor.. If the
belt is OH and the motor doesn't turn it could quite possibly be the
starting capacitor (or on some, the starting switch)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Jan 2014 11:11:22 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

philo wrote:
[...]

Excellent trouble shooting sequence.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2014 11:19 AM, philo wrote:

Yep. I kept my old Sears going for something like 30 years. Just needed
a new belt once in a while (or an idler arm). Eventually the motor went
so I bought a new drier not much different from the original.

They tried real hard to sell me a service contract. G

I worked for Shears, for 4 weeks. They really
push the MA, maintenance agreements. Must be a
money maker.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/07/2014 10:34 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/6/2014 11:19 AM, philo wrote:

Yep. I kept my old Sears going for something like 30 years. Just needed
a new belt once in a while (or an idler arm). Eventually the motor went
so I bought a new drier not much different from the original.

They tried real hard to sell me a service contract. G

I worked for Shears, for 4 weeks. They really
push the MA, maintenance agreements. Must be a
money maker.

Yep, any company that has service will try to push a service contract.
A good money maker.

The worst I heard of was ADT.

The place where I do volunteer work had a contract with them for their
security system...I think they were paying $300 a month.
One day the system went down and when they came out...they saw that
computer the software was installed on was Win2k and ADT said there was
nothing they could do as they do not support Win2k. (All equipment was
owned by the org. I volunteer for.)

In other words, the place paid all that money for nothing.

I got advice on-line from a guy who used to work for ADT and he told me
to buy a Linux based security system which cost a total of $200 .

They could buy a new one each month and still save money.

They have now had it for two years and never had to spend money again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Turn the timer to any cycle, open the door, hold the door switch closed, turn or push the start switch to start, hear the hum, and give the drum a shove clockwise by grabbing a baffle and moving the drum. If the motor starts and the drum moves on its own, you need a new motor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2014-01-06 15:06:03 +0000, noname said:

I just hear a humming sound when I press start. Model is dpsb620ec4ww.
How do I pop the top off so I can inspect the belt? What else should
I look for?
Thanks.

Before you do anything check the fuses. If one of the two fuses in the
240 volt line for the dryer is blown it could produce the symptom you
describe.
--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH