Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Water pipes make humming sound

Hey group,

In one of the loos of my place, the water pipes have an annoying habit
of making a humming sound after the cistern is flushed. In fact, if
you stand still in the room, you can actually feel the vibrations
through the floor. Opening the taps in another part of the house
temporarily gets rid of it (changes resonant frequency?) but this is
obviously a wasteful way of fixing the problem.

What exactly is the problem the plumbing is facing, and how do I fix
it DIY?

Removing the spout in the cistern that redirects the refilling water
flow from a fountain (upwards) to more like a faucet (downwards)
seemed to help for a few months, but now the problem is back :-(

Bear in mind the household is a female student one so please keep the
procedures simple with no open-heart surgeries on the plumbing
described ;-)

Thanks for any advice,
skate xx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sk8terg1rl" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If you search through previous messages on this forum, there is a thread
about this exact problem started by Brian Reay and dated 04/06/07 at 07:01.

Franko.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 22:22:52 -0700, sk8terg1rl
wrote:

[...]

Some one else has pointed you in the direction of a previous post with
the same problem . You sure it isn't "water hammer" .

I don't understand about the water inlet pointing "upwards" . Surely
this should point downwards towards the water otherwise when you
remove the lid and flush the water will spill out on to the flooor.
Anyway some recent cistern inlet valves have a soft plastic tube
fitted to the inlet spout which goes below the water level and that
helps to prevent water noise ( not your actual problem I know but it
helps overall) .

Is this rented property ?.If so it is your landlord/letting agent's
problem to sort out .

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

In one of the loos of my place, the water pipes have an annoying habit
of making a humming sound after the cistern is flushed. In fact, if

Luxury! Water flowing through pipes ... Ah I remember the days ;-)