Posted to alt.home.repair
philo [_2_] philo [_2_] is offline

Default GE Dryer, press start just hear a humming sound

On 01/07/2014 10:34 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/6/2014 11:19 AM, philo wrote:

Yep. I kept my old Sears going for something like 30 years. Just needed
a new belt once in a while (or an idler arm). Eventually the motor went
so I bought a new drier not much different from the original.

They tried real hard to sell me a service contract. G

I worked for Shears, for 4 weeks. They really
push the MA, maintenance agreements. Must be a
money maker.

Yep, any company that has service will try to push a service contract.
A good money maker.

The worst I heard of was ADT.

The place where I do volunteer work had a contract with them for their
security system...I think they were paying $300 a month.
One day the system went down and when they came out...they saw that
computer the software was installed on was Win2k and ADT said there was
nothing they could do as they do not support Win2k. (All equipment was
owned by the org. I volunteer for.)

In other words, the place paid all that money for nothing.

I got advice on-line from a guy who used to work for ADT and he told me
to buy a Linux based security system which cost a total of $200 .

They could buy a new one each month and still save money.

They have now had it for two years and never had to spend money again.