Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Basement Window Replacement

We have four very old basement windows which are slowly falling apart. I stapled plastic sheeting over them to keep the wind from coming through the gaps in the frame a couple of years ago but want to replace them in 2014. I was thinking of glass blocks; does anyone have any experience with them or opinions about them?

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 30, 2013 9:32:41 PM UTC-5, Pavel314 wrote:
We have four very old basement windows which are slowly falling apart. I stapled plastic sheeting over them to keep the wind from coming through the gaps in the frame a couple of years ago but want to replace them in 2014. I was thinking of glass blocks; does anyone have any experience with them or opinions about them?

Paul

I HATE glass blocks. first no way to open a basement window for ventilation.. just those tiny vent windows..

think of scrubbing or cleaning or worse painting

they provide a fake sense of security, if someone wants to break in your home, they will use the easiest access, not climb thru a inconvenent basement window....

criminals dont want to work hard, easier to kick in a door, or break a window by a door, reach in and unlock door. which makes removal of valuables easier.

they sell regular vinyl replacement windows.that open, they are not expensive.

far better choice...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message
[...]

I got my basement windows replaced for $107 each a few years ago. Love them
they are GLASS BLOCK. We live in the basement and the difference in heat
loss was signifigant. To each his own, but I like them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2013 9:32 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
We have four very old basement windows which are slowly falling apart. I stapled plastic sheeting over them to keep the wind from coming through the gaps in the frame a couple of years ago but want to replace them in 2014. I was thinking of glass blocks; does anyone have any experience with them or opinions about them?

Paul

Add me to the glass block category. It was the first thing I had done to
my home when I purchased in 04' and it cost $225 for 5 windows.

IMO, they do offer greater security and eliminates easier entrance areas
for the bad guys.

They definitely serve as a good insulation barrier due to the thickness.

I would do it again in a heartbeat.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:
We have four very old basement windows which are slowly falling apart. I stapled plastic sheeting over them to keep the wind from coming through the gaps in the frame a couple of years ago but want to replace them in 2014. I was thinking of glass blocks; does anyone have any experience with them or opinions about them?

Paul

Do you have another way to exit the basement if there is a fire in your
house and you can't get out that way, like a Bilco door? If not, you're
putting your family at risk besides a possible violation of Building code.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:
We have four very old basement windows which are slowly falling apart. I
stapled plastic sheeting over them to keep the wind from coming through
the gaps in the frame a couple of years ago but want to replace them in
2014. I was thinking of glass blocks; does anyone have any experience
with them or opinions about them?

Paul

I had 2 small windows (~3' x 1.5') and 1 larger one (~3' x 4') replaced
with glass block about 25 years ago. No complaints thus far. I have vents
in the smaller windows but ever since I had central air installed, I
haven't opened them.

Knowing what I know now, there are 2 comments I can make:

1 - If you have central air, you probably don't need the vents. They are
obviously not as weather tight as the blocks would be, so there is some
loss of efficiency with the vents.

2 - if I were doing it today, I'd probably buy the pieces and parts and
install my own. I was a new homeowner back then and didn't know how easy
some of this DIY stuff can be. That, and the fact that it was before kids
meant there was a little extra money available to pay people to do things
for me.

I also had a 3' x 4' basement window sealed up with cement block by the
same company. The room eventually became my shop and interior wall space
was more important than a window. The shop has a door to the backyard, so I
have light, air and a means of egress. I also built a deck off of that
wall, so the window was useless in so many ways.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 18:32:41 -0800 (PST), Pavel314
wrote:

I was thinking of glass blocks; does anyone have any experience with them or opinions about them?

Paul

No experience. You can find glass block window DIY kits, you can have
glass block windows custom sized.

If I did not need egress I might frame the RO and use a triple pane
argon filled glass, some good caulk and flashing to close the window
up, fer good.

....just sayin'
Posted to alt.home.repair

Glass block is not as secure as it looks. It's more slippery than concrete block, the mortar won't hold nearly as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was thinking of glass blocks; does anyone have any experience with
them or opinions about them?

Paul

No experience. You can find glass block window DIY kits, you can have
glass block windows custom sized.

If I did not need egress I might frame the RO and use a triple pane
argon filled glass, some good caulk and flashing to close the window
up, fer good.

...just sayin'

One way to custom size a glass block window is how they did it at my house.

They laid a ~2€¯ thick cement slab, sort of like a 2 x 8 x 16 patio block,
on top of the block that formed the bottom of the window opening. This left
an opening that was just the right size for one 8" glass block and one 4"
glass block plus the mortar joints.
Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR wrote:
Glass block is not as secure as it looks. It's more slippery than
concrete block, the mortar won't hold nearly as well.

25 years later and my 3 glass block windows don't seem to be having any
problems. Just sayin'

As others have said, if they want in, they going to get in. I doubt they'd
come in through my glass block windows anyway. 2 are too small and the big
one has a metal shelving unit in front of it. No way for them to tell if
they could move it if they busted out the window so I doubt they'd try
getting in that way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2013 08:32 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
We have four very old basement windows which are slowly falling apart. I stapled plastic sheeting over them to keep the wind from coming through the gaps in the frame a couple of years ago but want to replace them in 2014. I was thinking of glass blocks; does anyone have any experience with them or opinions about them?

Paul

I'd be hesitant of glass block windows.

If you wanted to jump out the windows to commit suicide you'd have to
break it and it would leave sharp edges.

You could get cut and bleed to death!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 11:40:44 -0800 (PST), TimR
wrote:

Glass block is not as secure as it looks. It's more slippery than concrete block, the mortar won't hold nearly as well.

....time for the duct tape solution
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 13:51:34 -0600, philo* wrote:

I'd be hesitant of glass block windows.

If you wanted to jump out the windows to commit suicide you'd have to
break it and it would leave sharp edges.

You could get cut and bleed to death!

....and get seriously hurt by pokin' your eye out
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2013 01:59 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 13:51:34 -0600, philo wrote:

I'd be hesitant of glass block windows.

If you wanted to jump out the windows to commit suicide you'd have to
break it and it would leave sharp edges.

You could get cut and bleed to death!

...and get seriously hurt by pokin' your eye out

That's ok, the eye had battery acid in it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I like the ability to open at least one basement window, typically the one farthest from the basement stairs. This makes it possible to air out the basement in the event one of my electronic projects goes up in smoke, or if I need to run a pipe out the basement for a temporary sump pump discharge while I am changing out the sump pump motor, both of which I have had to do at least once in the 48 years we have been in this house

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:
I like the ability to open at least one basement window, typically the
one farthest from the basement stairs.
This makes it possible to air out the basement in the event one of my
electronic projects goes up in smoke,
or if I need to run a pipe out the basement for a temporary sump pump
discharge while I am changing out
the sump pump motor, both of which I have had to do at least once in the
48 years we have been in this house

I'm fortunate enough to have a walk out basement with a door. The door
happens to be in my shop, so most reasons to need to air out the basement
happen in the room with the door. I also have an antique industrial fan
that moves a heck of a lot of air. (It can dry a pair of jeans in a couple
of hours) I often set it up on a stool by the open door when I'm doing
something odoriferous.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2013 1:08 PM, willshak wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
We have four very old basement windows which are slowly falling apart.
I stapled plastic sheeting over them to keep the wind from coming
through the gaps in the frame a couple of years ago but want to
replace them in 2014. I was thinking of glass blocks; does anyone have
any experience with them or opinions about them?

Paul

My preference has been jalousie windows with an inside storm and screen.
Years ago I sold and installed many of them in stone foundations using
mortar mix to avoid wood and the associated issues with it. Never had a
call back.

Glass block does not open and you can't see through it very well.
Disadvantage is you can't see if the NSA is watching you. The advantage
is the neighbors cant see your torture dungeon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:
We have four very old basement windows which are slowly falling apart. I stapled plastic sheeting over them to keep the wind from coming through the gaps in the frame a couple of years ago but want to replace them in 2014. I was thinking of glass blocks; does anyone have any experience with them or opinions about them?

Paul

I'm happy with our glass block windows. They are strong enough that the
occasional misfired hockey puck won't break them. We had fairly large
wood frames around the old windows; the class blocks were installed
without frames. It was surprising how much ambient lighting we gained
with the larger glass area. And the basement is warmer because there
are no leaks; I doubt the glass has much R value, but perhaps the air in
the blocks does. I had them install a hole for the dryer venting, and
one for the bathroom venting.

Around here the code requires ventilation on two opposing walls, so we
have the vents, but don't use them. Our code doesn't require a second
exit from the basement; I'm not sure a window at the top of a basement
wall would be very effective as an exit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
willshak wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
We have four very old basement windows which are slowly falling apart. I stapled plastic sheeting over them to keep the wind from coming through the gaps in the frame a couple of years ago but want to replace them in 2014. I was thinking of glass blocks; does anyone have any experience with them or opinions about them?

Paul

Do you have another way to exit the basement if there is a fire in your
house and you can't get out that way, like a Bilco door? If not, you're
putting your family at risk besides a possible violation of Building code.

No requirement for basement egress windows unless it's finished living space,
at least here in Michigan.

I've got glass block basement windows. I've only opened the vents in
them a handful of times in 13 years. I like them.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2013 8:52 PM, bob haller wrote:
[...]

Joe Biden gave the best advice for protecting your home from burglars. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2013 8:52 PM, bob haller wrote:
criminals dont want to work hard, easier to kick in a door, or break
a window by a door, reach in and unlock door. which makes removal of
valuables easier.
they sell regular vinyl replacement windows.that open, they are not
expensive.
far better choice...

Joe Biden gave the best advice for protecting your home from burglars. ^_^

TDD

Yep, and if we all just went out and fired
two blasts into the air, we'd all be standing
there with an empty shot gun.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:
We have four very old basement windows which are slowly falling
apart. I stapled plastic sheeting over them to keep the wind from
coming through the gaps in the frame a couple of years ago but
want to replace them in 2014. I was thinking of glass blocks;
does anyone have any experience with them or opinions about
them?

Paul

My preference has been jalousie windows with an inside storm and
screen. Years ago I sold and installed many of them in stone
foundations using mortar mix to avoid wood and the associated issues
with it. Never had a call back.

Glass block does not open and you can't see through it very well.
Disadvantage is you can't see if the NSA is watching you. The
advantage is the neighbors cant see your torture dungeon.

I always wanted a home with a basement in a neighborhood full of Nosy
Nellies so I could mess with their minds. I would build props with
radiation warning symbols all over them and a lot of blinking lights
that looked like something you might find in the den of Mr. Evil or a
mad scientist's laboratory. The props would be visible to someone
peeking through the basement windows but whomever peeked would have to
trespass to see through the windows. Over the years, I've found that the
nosiest people ever, are women who own or work in beauty shops. They are
the most fun to mess with and make them pay for being nosy. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 22:38:53 -0500, Stormin Mormon

On 12/30/2013 8:52 PM, bob haller wrote:
criminals dont want to work hard, easier to kick in a door, or break
a window by a door, reach in and unlock door. which makes removal of
valuables easier.
they sell regular vinyl replacement windows.that open, they are not
expensive.
far better choice...

Joe Biden gave the best advice for protecting your home from burglars. ^_^

TDD

Yep, and if we all just went out and fired
two blasts into the air, we'd all be standing
there with an empty shot gun.

Or through the front door when someone knocks.

The other day he told a collection of Ford employees that he saved
their asses with the bailout. Gotta love Crazy Uncle Joe. Typical
lefty.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2013 1:51 PM, philo wrote:
On 12/30/2013 08:32 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
We have four very old basement windows which are slowly falling apart.
I stapled plastic sheeting over them to keep the wind from coming
through the gaps in the frame a couple of years ago but want to
replace them in 2014. I was thinking of glass blocks; does anyone have
any experience with them or opinions about them?

Paul

I'd be hesitant of glass block windows.

If you wanted to jump out the windows to commit suicide you'd have to
break it and it would leave sharp edges.

You could get cut and bleed to death!

At one time I did a lot of automatic door, storefront and commercial
glass work. Tempered glass is very strong and someone can actually
bounce off if they run into it but popping it with a center punch will
cause it to shatter into little chunks. A lawyer in Toronto liked to
impress people by running into and bouncing off the windows of his law
firm's 40 story office suite. He did it several times until the last
time when he either broke the tempered glass when the sharp edge from
his watch hitting the glass causing it to shatter or the whole window
popped out sending the idiot for a 40 story drop to his death. I have to
wonder what that moron thought on his way down? I always recommended
laminated safety glass in the doors for customers because it held
together when broken and made it more difficult for someone to break in.
But most of the new doors I installed had tempered glass. ^_^

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garry_Hoy

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2013 5:55 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
" wrote:
I like the ability to open at least one basement window, typically
the one farthest from the basement stairs. This makes it possible
to air out the basement in the event one of my electronic projects
goes up in smoke, or if I need to run a pipe out the basement for a
temporary sump pump discharge while I am changing out the sump pump
motor, both of which I have had to do at least once in the 48 years
we have been in this house

I'm fortunate enough to have a walk out basement with a door. The
door happens to be in my shop, so most reasons to need to air out the
basement happen in the room with the door. I also have an antique
industrial fan that moves a heck of a lot of air. (It can dry a pair
of jeans in a couple of hours) I often set it up on a stool by the
open door when I'm doing something odoriferous.

My own farts bother me too. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 22:30:19 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

[...]

If I recall, this story was featured on 1000 ways to die on
television.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

Mythbusters just ran an episode testing the movie myth that if 2 workman
were carrying a sheet of glass and a car drove through it they would not
get cut.

They set up a jig to hold the glass with human-proxies wrapped in plastic
on both ends. The plastic was filled with red liquid to simulate blood.
They then drove a car through the glass at 30 MPH.

Before the test, Adam dropped three different types of glass on the ground.
Standard plate glass, laminated safety glass and tempered safety glass. He
said the the only glass that scared him was the standard glass because of
the sharpness of the broken pieces.

The Results:

Standard Plate Glass, the type that breaks into large, sharp shards: One
workman bled to death from several deep lacerations, the other workman was
unharmed.

Laminated Safety Glass, the kind used for windshields which is supposed to
stay together due to the plastic in between the two layers of glass:
Neither workman was injured. The glass broke into a few very large pieces
with the typical spiderweb cracks throughout. The interesting part was that
with the broken glass lying on the ground you could see the curved shape of
the car where it caused the glass to break in an arc pattern.

Tempered Safety Glass, the kind used for side windows which breaks into
tiny little pieces: Both workman died from multiple lacerations, one of
which was located at the exact height of Jamie's crotch.

Adam noted that he had a new found respect for the dangers involved with
not only plate glass, but also with tempered safety glass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

I have to
wonder what that moron thought on his way down?

"How am I going to litigate this?" At least it was
good start...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]