Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Microwave oven stopped

My almost 3 year old M O was baking a small red potato. I had set it for 6 minutes and while it was being cooked, I was doing other things in the kitchen..so I was not really paying any attention to the oven...except i could hear the motor running like it usually does...so the point i am making, if it makes any difference is if it ran its course and just overlooked the sound of the beep when its done, or it just stopped. I opened the door and it was cooked just fine but the first thing I noticed that there was no light, then i looked at the control panel and no clock and etc. I thought i blew a fuse. I checked the outlet and it was fine. I read the manual and it suggested to press the pause button for about 3 seconds..that didn't work either. I tried to open the back where the screws or what suppose to be a screw are and i do not have whatever tool it needs to unscrew. I tried my Allen wrench tools to no avail. The tool that i might have to buy just to even check what the problem is, plust the part or parts needed will turn this into another 'buy and throw away' product.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 11:05:04 -0800 (PST), novel
wrote:

My almost 3 year old M O was baking a small red potato.

Red. That should have been a warning.

[...]

You might have just blown a fuse, so it's worth taking the cover off.

The last one like that used a plain glass fuse, available probably in
an autoparts store and certainly from an electronics vendor.

Usually the parts you want to look at are on the side, behind the
control panel. Maybe you can take off the side with the tools you
have.

Sometimes the top and both sides come off at once.

If you don't have the right tip,unless you're very old and don't
expect to be living much longer, it's worth buying a set of tips, and
a handle that tips will fit into . Under 10 dollars and they're gong
to be using weirdo tips more and more as time goes on.

This is the closest I could find like what you need, but I"m not at
all sure it has the tip you need.
http://www.harborfreight.com/33-piec...set-93916.html
What I was really looking for was a box of either just tips, or one
handle and the rest tips, and more different tips. Someone else will
probably tell you where you can get them, and you could deswcribe
better the head of the screws you can't

http://www.harborfreight.com/33-piec...set-93916.html
This does NOT have the tip you want but if you find a box of just
tips, this will be a good handle for them. Often the box is made
of red rubber/vinyl and about the size of two packs of cigarettes,
face to face.
Senior Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky View Post
wrote:

[...]

Precision Screwdriver Set - 33 Piece
What I was really looking for was a box of either just tips, or one
handle and the rest tips, and more different tips. Someone else will
probably tell you where you can get them, and you could deswcribe
better the head of the screws you can't

Precision Screwdriver Set - 33 Piece
This does NOT have the tip you want but if you find a box of just
tips, this will be a good handle for them. Often the box is made
of red rubber/vinyl and about the size of two packs of cigarettes,
face to face.
Bear in mind that there are some very dangerous voltages inside a microwave oven so don't go poking around if you aren't sure what you're doing. They use odd security bits now so that any old Joe can't open it up with a normal screwdriver.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/2013 2:05 PM, novel wrote:
[...]

Since you didn't ask any questions, all I can do is
cheer you on. Go team!

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

-

http://tinyurl.com/24nj2us)

'Precision Screwdriver Set - 33 Piece' (http://tinyurl.com/24nj2us)
This does NOT have the tip you want but if you find a box of just
tips, this will be a good handle for them. Often the box is made
of red rubber/vinyl and about the size of two packs of cigarettes,
face to face.

Bear in mind that there are some very dangerous voltages inside a
microwave oven so don't go poking around if you aren't sure what you're

Perhaps I should have said that. OP don't run the thing with the
cover off. Have it on and screwed together. Unless the fuse is
blown, ;come back for more advice or throw it away, unless it's a
really expensive model worth having repaired.

doing. They use odd security bits now so that any old Joe can't open it
up with a normal screwdriver.

Well, B&Decker uses security bits on its coffee makers too, and iir
its weekwackers too. They don't want peiple inside anything, not
just the things that can hurt them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky... The microwaves I have worked on have a stranded size cartage fuse
BUT it is a special one that looks like ceramic covering and were 15 amp.
They were available at Radio Shack. Unknown reason for fuse failure. New
fuse brought them back to working. WW

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/2013 7:50 PM, micky wrote:

Perhaps I should have said that. OP don't run the thing with the
cover off. Have it on and screwed together. Unless the fuse is
blown, ;come back for more advice or throw it away, unless it's a
really expensive model worth having repaired.

doing. They use odd security bits now so that any old Joe can't open it
up with a normal screwdriver.

Well, B&Decker uses security bits on its coffee makers too, and iir
its weekwackers too. They don't want peiple inside anything, not
just the things that can hurt them.

A microwave differs from a Weedwacker or coffee maker in that it has a
"capacitor". It's not just a matter of running it with the cover off.
Even if the oven is unplugged, the capacitor still holds a charge and
can jolt a person. One needs to know how to discharge the capacitor
before attempting extensive troubleshooting.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/2013 8:32 PM, WW wrote:
Micky... The microwaves I have worked on have a stranded size cartage
fuse BUT it is a special one that looks like ceramic covering and were
15 amp. They were available at Radio Shack. Unknown reason for fuse
failure. New fuse brought them back to working. WW

Last one I worked on for a friend, had a shorted
high voltage cap, which of course took out the fuse.
New fuse didn't last long, and had to find what
shorted.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

First of all, a 'small' potato for 6 minutes? Way, way too long. My
guess is that the potato would be totally burned up. When there is too
much heat in most ovens, there usually is a safety link that shuts down
everything. It is a fusible link which actually melts, opening the
circuit. They are usually located on the top of the oven, just above
the interior wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 06:51:38 -0500, Meanie
wrote:

On 12/25/2013 7:50 PM, micky wrote:

Perhaps I should have said that. OP don't run the thing with the
cover off. Have it on and screwed together. Unless the fuse is
blown, ;come back for more advice or throw it away, unless it's a
really expensive model worth having repaired.

doing. They use odd security bits now so that any old Joe can't open it
up with a normal screwdriver.

Well, B&Decker uses security bits on its coffee makers too, and iir
its weekwackers too. They don't want peiple inside anything, not
just the things that can hurt them.

A microwave differs from a Weedwacker or coffee maker in that it has a
"capacitor".

I'm glad to have a new person posting. Welcome, even if I argue a
bit.

Yes. My post made the point that disassembled microwave ovens can
hurt people and disassembled weedwackers and coffeemakers are much
less likely to. But still some companies use secruity screws*** on
all of them. Because they don't want owners repairing their own
appliances. ***not bits like I said.

It's not just a matter of running it with the cover off.
Even if the oven is unplugged, the capacitor still holds a charge and
can jolt a person. One needs to know how to discharge the capacitor
before attempting extensive troubleshooting.

Yes. And it's not just that. It's also that the microwave can be
run with the cover off, exposing the repairer to high voltage and to
microwaves. There used to be a cage, and I think there is still
something** inside the case to keep microwaves from a repairer, but it
might not be in perfect condiition, or the repairer might mess with
it, and not put it back as it was, not realizing he is letting out the
invisibile demons, the microwaves.

With TV's for many years there was a high vottage cage to keep people
from touching the high voltage on the HV rectifier tube, (and there
was a lot of insulation around the wire to the picture tube) but if
the cage were removed, the repairman was safe, because the cage was a
physical barrier. Even without the barrier, if he didn't get his
hands or tools nearer the HV than the barrier would have alllowed, the
high voltage wouldn't reach out and hurt him. Microwaves aren't
like that. They do reach out. The cage or whatever in a MW oven**
is a physical also an electro-radiation barrier, both when the outside
cover is off and even when it is on. .

**This assumes there is still something that plays the role of a metal
cage. I had a relatively new MW open just a few months ago and if I
looked for it, I don't remember.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.harborfreight.com/33-piec...set-68459.html

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 26, 2013 2:22:56 PM UTC-5, willshak wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/33-piec...set-68459.html

--

Bill

In Hamptonburgh, NY

In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

I would think that set would work.

My microwave is held together with what I call "tamper proof Torx," sort of a star shaped cavity with a pin in the center to keep you from using a standard Torx. I have a set i bought at the local auto parts store. I assume the HF "star" is the same as what I've always called Torx, that may even be the correct name.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The first thing you MUST DO is to give a manufacturer, make, and model of the Uwave. That way we might be able to give you a much more detailed suggestion on how to proceed.

if the wall outlet into which you plugged the Uwave is definitely ok, then you have to get the cover off to proceed with trouble-shooting the problem. The fact that everything is dead surely points to a fuse in the primary circuit. So, spend the $ and get the correct screwdriver bit and screwdriver bit holder to remove the cover. Then, post back here the info I suggested and we can proceed from there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 26, 2013 4:23:08 PM UTC-5, wrote:
The first thing you MUST DO is to give a manufacturer, make, and model of the Uwave. That way we might be able to give you a much more detailed suggestion on how to proceed.

if the wall outlet into which you plugged the Uwave is definitely ok, then you have to get the cover off to proceed with trouble-shooting the problem. The fact that everything is dead surely points to a fuse in the primary circuit. So, spend the $ and get the correct screwdriver bit and screwdriver bit holder to remove the cover. Then, post back here the info I suggested and we can proceed from there.

Thank you all...as the op, this happened on Christmas day so I got in touch with General electric troubleshooter part area today and they said that there is no line fuse shown in the diagram for this unit...so out to the curb it goes...Merry Christmas and to all a 'good night'..LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

You give up too easily.. The fuse may be in the secondary side of a line transformer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/26/2013 6:21 PM, novel wrote:
[...]

When a consumer help line says "no line fuse shown" they probably mean,
"no user serviceable fuse." I would like to be at your curbside when
you put is out : )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/26/2013 5:51 AM, Meanie wrote:
On 12/25/2013 7:50 PM, micky wrote:

Perhaps I should have said that. OP don't run the thing with
the cover off. Have it on and screwed together. Unless the fuse
is blown, ;come back for more advice or throw it away, unless it's
a really expensive model worth having repaired.

doing. They use odd security bits now so that any old Joe can't
open it up with a normal screwdriver.

Well, B&Decker uses security bits on its coffee makers too, and
iir its weekwackers too. They don't want peiple inside anything,
not just the things that can hurt them.

A microwave differs from a Weedwacker or coffee maker in that it has
a "capacitor". It's not just a matter of running it with the cover
off. Even if the oven is unplugged, the capacitor still holds a
charge and can jolt a person. One needs to know how to discharge the
capacitor before attempting extensive troubleshooting.

Some of those capacitors have high value resistors to drain the charge
when the oven is not in operation. I have have a junk one out front and
I could have sworn I saw a drain resistor across the capacitor in the
last microwave oven I had apart. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/26/2013 7:45 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
[...]

Would this be what you're describing?

http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...s=SDJ1&site=us

http://preview.tinyurl.com/kce9ejs

I've replaced a lot of them in all sorts of appliances and these small
ones are the type I see the most of. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

But would they kill everything??? Since everything is gone, there must be some sort of fuse-type mechanism that responded to whatever the real problem is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 14:22:56 -0500, willshak
wrote:

novel wrote:
[...]

Yeah, that's what I had in mind. I didnt' search on the right words.

OP you can certainly enlarge that enough to see if has the bit you
need.

If it doesn't, somewhere there's a set about twice as big, in a hinged
plastic box with an "embeded" handle (for the box) .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 09:13:50 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

But would they kill everything??? Since everything is gone, there must be some sort of fuse-type mechanism that responded to whatever the real problem is.

My brother used the wrong shelf (that divides the chamber into two
"floors" and he blew the fuse. It's amazing how simliar the correct
shelf was to another one they owned.

After the fuse was replace, it worked fine.

I agree, GE may not tell the truth about the fuse. If they use
tamperproof screws, they don't want people inside, and that would be
reason enough not to put the fuse on the diagram the customer service
guy has. Not that every MW has a fuse -- I don't know -- but I
wouldn't rely on customer service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

novel wrote:

[...]

How do u enlarge the head of the screw,,,i only have the phillip and old standard drivers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Since my last post i came across some hope as the OP here with my oven. I turned it upside down and it looks like the typical philip screw heads there.. So I will try there ..if successful what should i look for, anyone?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 09:41:24 -0800 (PST), novel
wrote:

On Saturday, December 28, 2013 11:04:49 AM UTC-5, novel wrote:
On Friday, December 27, 2013 11:04:37 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:

OP you can certainly enlarge that enough to see if has the bit you

How do u enlarge the head of the screw,,,i only have the phillip and old standard drivers.

I meant you can enlarge the picture to see if it fits your screws.

Since my last post i came across some hope as the OP here with my oven. I turned it upside down and it looks like the typical philip screw heads there. So I will try there ..if successful what should i look for, anyone?

ARe the screws right by the edges of the bottom and going through the
case/cover, or somewhere in the middle of the bottom?

If in the middle, not a good idea. Generally screw heads not by the
edge on the bottom of cases hold the parts inside in place. They
don't hold the cover on. I know this because for lack of any other
ideas, I've taken such screws out too, only to hear the parts
rattlling around inside when they're not held to the bottom anymore.

If they are on the edge of the bottom but not apparently going though
the cover, maybe you can see where the cover folds in just as it gets
to the bottom, so that these screws go through the bottom and then the
cover, rather than the other way around. Anyhow, if you only take
out the screws on the edges, maybe they will hold parts in place, but
the parts won't be as loose because you've left the screws in the
middle attached, and no single part would have screws only at the edge
of the bottom.

If this post/email is too late, maybe your MW couldn't be fixed
anyhow, and it was meant to be that you buy another one. One
certainly cant' fix everything.

Microwave Turntable Stopped Rob UK diy 5 April 1st 07 04:57 PM
Sears Microwave stopped Cooking GT Electronics Repair 13 February 9th 06 05:00 PM
Microwave under-light stopped working Fr@nk Home Repair 10 March 20th 05 05:03 PM
Oven, Oven Clock stopped working The Enigmatic One Home Repair 11 November 26th 03 08:40 PM
Microwave stopped heating pj Home Repair 14 September 26th 03 12:36 PM