Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How To Wire Dishwasher and Garbage Disposal on Same Circuit

At this home there is a 20 amp breaker in the electrical panel that is pencil labeled as for the dishwasher and garbage disposal. At the junction box on the kitchen wall near the sink we see the 12 gauge wire feeds from the panel. Three 14 gauge wires, hot-black/neutral-white/ground-green, are routed from this box to another junction box underneath the sink through conduit.. A whip from the dishwasher is hardwired to the wires under the sink.

We want to add a GE half horsepower garbage disposal that is suppose to draw only 4.5 amps. Can we just pull another hot 14 gauge wire for the garbage disposal and use the existing white neurtal already there for the dishwasher? Does it matter whether 14 gauge is used rather than 12 gauge wires for either device?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sure. Burn down your house.

There is a reason electricians leave them on separate circuits.

****ing moron.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Dec 2013 09:42:47 -0800 (PST), Edge
wrote:

At this home there is a 20 amp breaker in the electrical panel that is pencil labeled as for the dishwasher and garbage disposal. At the junction box on the kitchen wall near the sink we see the 12 gauge wire feeds from the panel. Three 14 gauge wires, hot-black/neutral-white/ground-green, are routed from this box to another junction box underneath the sink through conduit. A whip from the dishwasher is hardwired to the wires under the sink.

We want to add a GE half horsepower garbage disposal that is suppose to draw only 4.5 amps. Can we just pull another hot 14 gauge wire for the garbage disposal and use the existing white neurtal already there for the dishwasher? Does it matter whether 14 gauge is used rather than 12 gauge wires for either device?

" Fully explained dishwasher disposal wiring diagrams with pictures
for wiring the outlet that serves a dishwasher and a garbage
disposal."

http://www.ask-the-electrician.com/disposal-wiring-diagram.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We want to add a GE half horsepower garbage disposal

Edge,

BTW, if this a first GD install, take note in the instructions about
an air-gap vent pipe and _the removal_ of the plug from the GD.

Dirty DW water can back up into the sink, iirc.

.... just a note
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/2013 12:00 PM, Daring Dufas : A Sock Of Killer Loon wrote:
Sure. Burn down your house.

Killer Loon, living proof that human females should never have sex with
farm animals. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hahahahaha.

Dats funny.

Save the call for the unionized fire department.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 16:24:23 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/8/2013 4:08 PM, Daring Dufas : A Sock Of Killer Loon wrote:
Hahahahaha.

Dats funny.

Save the call for the unionized fire department.

Killer Loon, living proof that human females should never have sex with
farm animals. ^_^

TDD

Or against an animal witness in court.

"Man who had sex with goat faces victim in court"

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2893082156001/man-who-had-sex-with-goat-faces-victim-in-court/?playlist_id=930909817001

You can't make this stuff up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 12/8/2013 4:08 PM, Daring Dufas : A Sock Of Killer Loon wrote:
Hahahahaha.

Dats funny.

Save the call for the unionized fire department.

Killer Loon, living proof that human females should never have sex with
farm animals. ^_^

TDD

Or against an animal witness in court.

"Man who had sex with goat faces victim in court"

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2893082156001/man-who-had-sex-with-goat-faces-victim-in-court/?playlist_id=930909817001

You can't make this stuff up.

Here in Alabamastan he would have gotten capital punishment if the goat
had been white. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

At this home

there is a 20 amp breaker in the electrical panel that is pencil labeled
as for the dishwasher and garbage disposal. At the junction box on the
kitchen wall near the sink we see the 12 gauge wire feeds from the
panel. Three 14 gauge wires, hot-black/neutral-white/ground-green, are
routed from this box to another junction box underneath the sink through
conduit. A whip from the dishwasher is hardwired to the wires under the
sink.

We want to add a GE half horsepower garbage

disposal that is suppose to draw only 4.5 amps. Can we just pull another
hot 14 gauge wire for the garbage disposal and use the existing white
neurtal already there for the dishwasher? Does it matter whether 14
gauge is used rather than 12 gauge wires for either device?

-------

Using 14ga wire on a 20A breaker is a code violation, and is dangerous.
Replace all the 14ga with 12ga, or replace the breaker with a 15amp.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

At this home there is a 20 amp breaker in the electrical panel that is
pencil labeled as for the dishwasher and garbage disposal. At the
junction box on the kitchen wall near the sink we see the 12 gauge wire
feeds from the panel. Three 14 gauge wires,
hot-black/neutral-white/ground-green, are routed from this box to
another junction box underneath the sink through conduit. A whip from
the dishwasher is hardwired to the wires under the sink.

We want to add a GE half horsepower garbage disposal that is suppose to
draw only 4.5 amps. Can we just pull another hot 14 gauge wire for the
garbage disposal and use the existing white neurtal already there for
the dishwasher? Does it matter whether 14 gauge is used rather than 12
gauge wires for either device?

All the wires should usually be #12 BUT if you are serving a pure
motor load like the disposal, you could use #14. (125% of FLA) Not so
with the dish washer since it is not a pure motor load.
Whether they can share the circuit would depend on the nameplate
rating of the dishwasher.

Mixing 12ga and 14ga on one branch? That sounds like a real no-no,
even if you used a 15A breaker.

I don't see a problem using 15 amp breaker. I use 20 amp breaker feeding 10
ga. To 12 ga. Long run to garage. There can be a long term problem if
things are not labeled.

Greg

Take 125% of the largest load and 100% of the other one. It has to be
20 or less.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 02:41:30 +0000 (UTC), gregz

wrote:

[...]

The issue is the next guy who comes along, seeing the 12ga wire,
inserts a 20A breaker. ...but I'll defer to those with a citation in
their hot little hands.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I believe gfretwell is/was an electrical inspector and he is going by
the NEC. The problem comes in when you have a city engineering
department that has its own interpretation of the National Electrical
Code like where I live. Anyone getting an inspection must do as the
inspector demands even if you believe him/her/it to be wrong. You can
sometimes pull out the code book and win an argument but unless it's an
absolutely insane demand, it's best not to argue with the inspector. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How To Wire Dishwasher and / weather report

I believe I've seen them on the same circuit before but I haven't done
house wiring as an electrician in years and the dishwasher here is on a
separate circuit. I'd have to go look at the outdoor breaker panel to
determine what size breaker and wire it is because I didn't install it.
Besides, I have a bit of trouble walking and it's raining hogs and frogs
outside right now. ^_^

TDD

One email friend in eastern TN, says it's raining hard
there. Aftermath of that killer storm that passed?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 9, 2013 7:01:33 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 00:09:26 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 21:57:40 -0500,
wrote:

The issue is the next guy who comes along, seeing the 12ga wire,

inserts a 20A breaker. ...but I'll defer to those with a citation in

their hot little hands.

"The NEC does not address what an unqualified person might do". I got

that straight from the NFPA on a proposed change about something

similar.

I suppose I could blow everyone's mind by saying it is legal to use a

40a breaker on 14 ga wire if you are serving a 1HP single phase 120v

motor with internal overload protection.

How does the overload protection protect the wiring?

The overload protection in this case is inside the motor
itself. It's a common misconception among home inspectors too.
Some of them see a 50A breaker going to an AC compressor and assume
that it has to use the same size conductor that you would use
for a 50A oven. They see a smaller conductor and flag it,
though it's 100% code compliant to use a smaller conductor,
within the rating of the AC unit specs.

It is a common question in the inspector test.

FLA is 16a (Table 430.248)

125% of that is 20a (430.22)

Table 316.16 says a 14 ga copper wire is OK for 20a in the 60c column.

The over current device can be up to 250% of FLA. 16 x 2.5 = 40a

(table 430.52) if the motor has overload protection.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Wrong, as Gfre has explained. It depends on what the loads are.
Conductors for motor loads are sized differently and you can use
a smaller gauge conductor on the same size breaker that you could
if it were a general purpose circuit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 10, 2013 1:05:44 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 05:58:54 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:

[...]

Can you even try to read, Trader?

You know, you're remarkably arrogant for someone who knows so
little. You didn't even know how motor loads are sized.
Gfre, who is/was an electrical inspector told you that
you were wrong.

And what I just told you is correct. The overload protection
is in the motor. That protects the motor and the *wiring*
from overload, because the motor is the load. Capiche?
Or would you like to dig your hole deeper?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You're completely illiterate, Trader.

And what I just told you is correct. The overload protection
is in the motor. That protects the motor and the *wiring*
from overload, because the motor is the load. Capiche?
Or would you like to dig your hole deeper?

What you told me was completely irrelevant because you CAN'T READ!
Even Cracker Jax should be ashamed with you as an alum.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You asked:

"How does the overload protection protect the wiring?"

I replied with:

"The overload protection in this case is inside the motor
itself."

And when you didn't understand that, I told stated:

"The overload protection is in the motor. That protects the motor and the *wiring* from overload, because the motor is the load."

Since you're having trouble, I'll try to explain it at your
level. If the load, ie the motor seizes up, starts to burn
up, etc and it results in an overload, the overload protection
in the motor cuts it off. There is no other load, you can't
plug in more motors, more lights to "overload" the wiring. Therefore
that protection in the motor protects the motor and the wires
serving it from overload. Words have meaning you know...

If that is beyond your comprehension level, that's OK.
The folks that write the NEC understand it, cover it, set
the rules for conductor sizing for it, as GFRE also
tried to explain to you.

So, your incredulity once again shows that you don't know what
you're talking about when it comes to even practical application
of electricity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

At this home there is a 20 amp breaker in the electrical panel that is pencil labeled as for the dishwasher and garbage disposal. At the junction box on the kitchen wall near the sink we see the 12 gauge wire feeds from the panel. Three 14 gauge wires, hot-black/neutral-white/ground-green, are routed from this box to another junction box underneath the sink through conduit. A whip from the dishwasher is hardwired to the wires under the sink.

We want to add a GE half horsepower garbage disposal that is suppose to draw only 4.5 amps. Can we just pull another hot 14 gauge wire for the garbage disposal and use the existing white neurtal already there for the dishwasher? Does it matter whether 14 gauge is used rather than 12 gauge wires for either device?

My possibly not-to-code answer. Unless you plan to run the disposal
for long periods of time, like 10 or more minutes at a time, I
personally would not worry about it and just add the circuit. The
only time the load would be particularly high would be if you happened
to run the dishwasher and disposal at the same time and as I said,
unless you are planning on marathon disposal sessions you just won't
be loading the circuit long enough to be an issue.