Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How To Wire Dishwasher and Garbage Disposal on Same Circuit

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 05:58:54 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Monday, December 9, 2013 7:01:33 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 00:09:26 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 21:57:40 -0500,
wrote:

The issue is the next guy who comes along, seeing the 12ga wire,

inserts a 20A breaker. ...but I'll defer to those with a citation in

their hot little hands.

"The NEC does not address what an unqualified person might do". I got

that straight from the NFPA on a proposed change about something

similar.

I suppose I could blow everyone's mind by saying it is legal to use a

40a breaker on 14 ga wire if you are serving a 1HP single phase 120v

motor with internal overload protection.

How does the overload protection protect the wiring?

The overload protection in this case is inside the motor
itself. It's a common misconception among home inspectors too.
Some of them see a 50A breaker going to an AC compressor and assume
that it has to use the same size conductor that you would use
for a 50A oven. They see a smaller conductor and flag it,
though it's 100% code compliant to use a smaller conductor,
within the rating of the AC unit specs.

Can you even try to read, Trader?