Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do These Casters Come Apart? with pics...

The casters in the following pics are from an office chair purchased at
Staples many years ago. The casters are pretty sluggish due to lint and
hair (too many years in my daughters' bedroom). I have tried to clean them
as much as possible with a razor blade and tweezers, but the performance
didn't improve very much.

I tried to pry a wheel off using a small pry bar wedged between the wheel
on the body, but it didn't budge. I used as much force as I felt
comfortable using without breaking something.

The local stores don't seem to carry casters with such a short stem so I'm
trying to clean the casters up before we deliver the chair to my daughter
at college on Wednesday. I might be able to find them online but I wouldn't
get them by Wednesday.

Does anyone know if the wheels can be removed for cleaning? Thanks.

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps5783a873.jpg

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps664199f1.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Are you trying to fix them? Nothing to fix. All plastic job. I replaced
a few. There Time is money! Costs a few dollars each.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 21:51:39 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Does anyone know if the wheels can be removed for cleaning? Thanks.

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps5783a873.jpg

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps664199f1.jpg

The wheels may have an axle with knurled (sp) ends. I have the same
wheels in this chair I sit, today.

Try a shop-vac to suck out or an air hose to blow the crud out, or a
pick to pull hair from around the axle.

YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I spent a lot of time trying to take apart casters like these. (But
don't worry. I watched TV while I did it, so no time was wasted.) I
did get one wheel off one of them. There wasn't much hair or
anything, and oiling didn't help much but nonetheless, I'd try oiling
them before taking them apart, since that is so hard to do.

Maybe you have another chair somewhere that uses similar casters, and
you can steal them until you get new ones by mail.

Maybe you take her the chair with crummy wheels and can ship the new
wheels to her at school, straight from the vendor. She's a college
girl now and should be able to do new things. Unless she is only 12
and you sent her to boarding school, maybe because she is a
delinquent. In that case she can get her boyfriend to do it for her.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Does anyone know if the wheels can be removed for cleaning? Thanks.

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps5783a873.jpg

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps664199f1.jpg

The wheels may have an axle with knurled (sp) ends. I have the same
wheels in this chair I sit, today.

Try a shop-vac to suck out or an air hose to blow the crud out, or a
pick to pull hair from around the axle.

YMMV

Those propane torches work good too. OOOH, the smell of burning hair.
Vulgar, yet somewhat stimulating in a provocative sort of bent. Brings
sixties flashbacks.

Trouble is, they don't roll worth a darn afterward.

Steve ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Oiling didn't help much.

Maybe you have another chair somewhere that uses similar casters, and
you can steal them until you get new ones by mail.

No chair with matching casters available.

Maybe you take her the chair with crummy wheels and can ship the new
wheels to her at school, straight from the vendor. She's a college
girl now and should be able to do new things.

That's certainly an option.

Unless she is only 12
and you sent her to boarding school, maybe because she is a
delinquent. In that case she can get her boyfriend to do it for her.

I did say college. I did mean college. 2 x 12. No boyfriend.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Does anyone know if the wheels can be removed for cleaning? Thanks.

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps5783a873.jpg

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps664199f1.jpg

The wheels may have an axle with knurled (sp) ends. I have the same
wheels in this chair I sit, today.

Try a shop-vac to suck out or an air hose to blow the crud out, or a
pick to pull hair from around the axle.

As I said, "I have tried to clean them as much as possible with a razor
blade and tweezers..."

I picked and tweezed and I did it in front of the vacuum cleaner hose. Yes,
the vacuum was on. ;-)

I'm down to the stuff that I believe is either inside where the axle goes
in to the body or is so tightly wound around the axle that my tools can't
get to it. The inside lip of the wheel prevents direct, straight-in access
to the axle. If I can get the wheel off I can come in from the side.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 23:58:48 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

If I can get the wheel off I can come in from the side.

Good luck. Go for it

I have a 25 year old chair with the same original casters. Never
pulled a wheel off, but I was able to clean one caster that was not
rolling properly. I love that office chair still to today.

If you do get one side off, please inform us.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If I can get the wheel off I can come in from the side.

Good luck. Go for it

I have a 25 year old chair with the same original casters. Never
pulled a wheel off, but I was able to clean one caster that was not
rolling properly. I love that office chair still to today.

If you do get one side off, please inform us.

I gave up. I tried the widest prying object that I could get between the
wheel and the axle housing. Using more force than I was comfortable with,
all I did was put indentations in the plastic housing. The wheel didn't
move outward by even the tiniest amount.

I'm thinking that each wheel has a "knob" on the end of its axle that is
captured within the sealed housing preventing it from being moved outward,
away from the housing.

I'm going to take some measurements, order new casters and have them
delivered to my daughter at her college.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 02:13:05 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I'm going to take some measurements, order new casters and have them
delivered to my daughter at her college.

Good idea.

Being a child of a DIY guy, she can learn. Install is easy.

After that, break the plastic wheel off one side and post a photo of
the axle end. We can learn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Derby,

No, they don't come apart.
http://www.amazon.com/Rolland-Office.../dp/B002TTR74M

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm going to take some measurements, order new casters and have them
delivered to my daughter at her college.

Good idea.

Being a child of a DIY guy, she can learn. Install is easy.

After that, break the plastic wheel off one side and post a photo of
the axle end. We can learn.

My bandsaw will make quick work of cutting the caster neatly down the
middle.

It'll be a while, but I'll get it done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'd suggest ball casters, easy to clean. One source...
http://www.servicecaster.com/furniture/baron.php

Prices vary for $2+ to $10+ depending on source.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That might be an idea if they come with the correct size stem for the chair
I have.

Why are they easy to clean? Is the axle more accessible than the plastic
wheeled casters I was struggling with?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've never had to clean one but yes, the axle is more accessible. You can
get them with different sizes/types of stems. If any of the stemmed ones at
Ou****er Plastics would serve, their prices are great as is their shipping.
Getting the whole catalog is worthwhile too.

http://www.ou****ercatalogs.com/lg_d.../ball%20caster

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buy Fake Passport ) Diplomatic Passport, Canadian ID Cards Online,ID Cards drivers License

Hello, Getting a fake and real passport , ID or driving license or any other document is simple. I can make you both real and fake documents However, the real documents are more expensive than the fake because it takes time, skill and contacts to get it done. Note that, the fake is going to be in 100% unique and very good quality. The difference is
based on the registration numbers. The real Document will be registered with the country's database so you can use it to travel to any country of your choice or in the country, mean while the fake will not be registered but can be use as well.

Contact
General
Technical
skype.....................kannymary1990
tel........................ 505-948-4785

contact via email or call at anytime.
-———-
fake Australian passports,
es) passports for sale,
fake Australian passports for sell,
fake Belgium passports for sell,
fake Brazilian(Brazil) passports for sell,
fake Canadian(Canada) passports for sell,
fake Finnish(Finland) passports for sell,
fake French(France) passports for sell,
fake German(Germany) passports for sell,
fake Dutch(Netherland/Holland) passports for sell,
fake Israel passports for sell,
fake UK passports for sell,
fake Spanish(Spain) passports for sell,
fake Mexican(Mexico) passports for sell,
fake South African passports for sell,
fake Australian driver licenses for sell
order false passports,
order novelty passports,
order fake driver license,
order false driver license,
order novelty driver license,
order Diplomatic passports,
obtain fake passports,
obtain false passports,
obtain novelty passports,
obtain fake driving licence,
obtain false driver license,
obtain novelty driver license,
obtain Diplomatic passports,

fake passport of St Kitts & Nevis
fake passport of Saint Vincent & the Grenadines
fake passport of Samoa
fake passport of San Marino
fake passport of Saudi Arabia
fake passport of Senegal
fake passport of Serbia
fake passport of Singapore
fake passport of Slovakia
fake passport of Slovenia
fake passport of Solomon Islands
fake passport of Somalia
fake passport of South Africa
fake passport of Spain
fake passport of Sri Lanka
fake passport of Sudan
fake passport of Suriname
fake passport of Swaziland
fake passport of Sweden
fake passport of Switzerland
fake passport of Syria
fake passport of Taiwan
fake passport of Tajikistan
fake passport of Tanzania
fake passport of Thailand
fake passport of Trinidad & Tobago
fake passport of Tunisia
fake passport of Turkey
fake passport of Uganda
fake passport of [SPAM]
fake passport of United Arab Emirates
fake passport of United Kingdom
fake passport of United States
fake passport of Uruguay
fake passport of Uzbekistan
fake passport of Vatican City
fake passport of Venezuela
fake passport of Vietnam
fake passport of Yemen
fake USA(United States) passports,
fake Australian passports,
fake Belgium passports,
fake Brazilian(Brazil) passports,
fake Canadian(Canada) passports,
fake Finnish(Finland) passports,
fake French(France) passports,
fake German(Germany) passports,
fake Dutch(Netherland/Holland) passports,
fake Israel passports,
fake UK(United Kingdom) passports,
fake Spanish(Spain) passports,
fake Mexican(Mexico) passports,
buy fake South African passports.
buy fake Australian driver licenses,
buy fake Canadian driver licenses,
buy fake French(France) driver licenses,
buy fake Dutch(Netherland/Holland) driving licenses,
buy fake German(Germany) driving licenses,
buy fake UK(United Kingdom) driving licenses,
buy fake Diplomatic passports,
buy false USA(United States) passports,
buy false Australian passports,
buy false Belgium passports,
buy false Brazilian(Brazil) passports,
buy false Canadian(Canada) passports,
buy false Finnish(Finland) passports,
buy false French(France) passports,
buy false German(Germany) passports,
buy false Dutch(Netherland/Holland) passports,
buy false Israel passports,
buy false UK(United Kingdom) passports,
buy false UK(United Kingdom) driving licenses,
buy false Diplomatic passports,
buy Camouflage passports,
buy passport Duplicates,
fake USA(united States) passports for sale,
fake Australian passports for sell,
fake Belgium passports for sell,
fake Brazilian(Brazil) passports for sell,
fake Canadian(Canada) passports for sell,
fake Finnish(Finland) passports for sell,
fake French(France) passports for sell,
fake German(Germany) passports for sell,
fake Dutch(Netherland/Holland) passports for sell,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 15:11:25 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I'd suggest ball casters, easy to clean. One source...
http://www.servicecaster.com/furniture/baron.php

Prices vary for $2+ to $10+ depending on source.

That might be an idea if they come with the correct size stem for the chair
I have.

Why are they easy to clean? Is the axle more accessible than the plastic
wheeled casters I was struggling with?

Cleaning, frequency, etc., is related to the flooring the casters on.
Carpet, Wood, Tile...What will be in the dorm room?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 11:06:01 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

http://www.ou****ercatalogs.com/lg_d.../ball%20caster

Home page URL saved. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'd suggest ball casters, easy to clean. One source...
http://www.servicecaster.com/furniture/baron.php

Prices vary for $2+ to $10+ depending on source.

That might be an idea if they come with the correct size stem for the chair
I have.

Why are they easy to clean? Is the axle more accessible than the plastic
wheeled casters I was struggling with?

Cleaning, frequency, etc., is related to the flooring the casters on.
Carpet, Wood, Tile...What will be in the dorm room?

I may have said college, but I don't think I said "dorm room". My daughter
is going for a masters (actually 2) and is also working at the college. As
compensation she gets free room and board. The "room" is a brand new, fully
furnished, LEED certified, 2 bedroom apartment. It's almost 1000 square
feet. Yes, it's in a dorm, but I wouldn't call it a "dorm room". :-)
Instead of a room number, it says Private Residence on the wall outside her
apartment. It's pretty sweet.

Anyway, the living room is carpeted, as was her bedroom, but a lot of the
debris in the casters is hair. Both of the daughters that shared the room
the chair was in have longish blond hair and a lot it is wound around the
axles of the casters.

I cut and tweezed out as much as I could, but the wheels are still pretty
sluggish. I should note that you don't notice a major issue with rolling
around in the chair when you are sitting in it. I wouldn't even have looked
at the casters if I wasn't trying to break the chair down into small pieces
to make it easier to transport tomorrow night. Once I flipped the base over
to pull the casters out I noticed the hair and the fact that they didn't
spin freely. The OCD DIY'er in me makes me wants to make them like new.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Might try drain cleaner that's intended to clear hair clogs. Don't know how
the cleaner will effect the plastic or the metal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some casters do come apart.

We had a couple of sturdy chairs from a dental office (not the treatment chairs, the ones where a hygienist might sit).

They were really solid and just right for a computer desk where you might roll away frequently, with a comfortable padded armrest.

When I got them (Dumpster Supply, Inc) they didn't roll well, but the casters came apart and once cleaned up they worked great.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 25, 2013 at 3:51:39 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

HEY! THE WEBSITE RECOMMENDED HAS NO CASTERS! IT'S A SCAM TO GET U TO LOOK!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default THE WEBSITE RECOMMENDED HAS NO CASTERS, JUST A TRICK TO GET U TO LOOK!

[...]

Do These Casters Come Apart? DerbyDad03 Home Repair 3 November 26th 13 12:09 AM
casters basilisk[_2_] Woodworking 7 April 20th 13 08:51 PM
House reno pics, soffit detail question. (w/pics) David F. Eisan Woodworking Plans and Photos 29 September 14th 07 02:14 PM
House reno pics, soffit detail question. (w/pics) David F. Eisan Woodworking 4 September 10th 07 02:50 PM
? about old galvanizing (casters) Grant Erwin Metalworking 8 November 28th 04 05:23 PM