Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default House reno pics, soffit detail question. (w/pics)

Hello everyone,

I have not been posting much because I have been tied up with house
renovations.

My old house (remember the white kitchen cabinets) sold in less than a day,
so I guess no one minded the inconsistent reveal from the scribe strip I put
up.

I had about 1 week to enjoy the old house before I started on the new one.
The renovations here are extensive (to say the least!).

This was a perfectly good house in move in condition, that is, if you have
70's taste. Nice wall paper and shag carpet everywhere. Very little had been
done to this house since it was built in 1975, exactly what I was looking
for. The main floor was broken up into little rooms, a hallway, kitchen,
living and dining room with a den behind the garage.

Katarina and I totally demolished the main floor. We took out two 20 yard
dumpsters. All the interior walls on the main floor, all the old flooring
and 95% of the cabinetry throughout the house.

This is what it looked like after a little demo,

Two temporary walls were built in place to support the second floor as the
main load bearing wall was removed,

The beam is huge. In order for it to be flush mounted, it had a flange
welded onto the bottom of it to carry the second floor joists that used to
rest on a 2x6 wall that also housed the all the air supplies and returns
from the second floor.

All the electrical from the interior walls has been moved or removed. The
HVAC ducts have been rerouted to the outside walls and tucked into a soffit
that runs around the main open room.

My main question is how to deal with this soffit for paint and "orange peel"
knocked down spray on texturing.

Different scenarios,

1) Treat the entire soffit as the ceiling and texture the side and bottom of
it, paint the entire soffit white like the ceiling.

2) Texture just the bottom of the soffit, paint it white like the ceiling
and paint vertical portion the same colour as the body of the room.

3) No texture on the soffit at all, paint the entire soffit the same colour
as the room.

Being the wood guy I am, I would like to add some crown detail, but I don't
know where or even if I should.

The floor and new staircase with be Jatoba. The kitchen cabinets will be
cherry, you can see the rough in for the island beside the dishwasher. There
are lots of new pot lights and rough ins for a fixture above the
kitchen/dining table (in front of the new sliding door) and pendants above
the island.

What are your ideas?

Thank you,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, in Mine I'm Him

Attached Thumbnails
House reno pics, soffit detail question. (w/pics)-beamin-jpg  House reno pics, soffit detail question. (w/pics)-bigbeam-jpg  House reno pics, soffit detail question. (w/pics)-demoing1-jpg  House reno pics, soffit detail question. (w/pics)-soffit1-jpg  House reno pics, soffit detail question. (w/pics)-soffit2-jpg

House reno pics, soffit detail question. (w/pics)-soffit3-jpg  House reno pics, soffit detail question. (w/pics)-soffit5-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg soffit4.jpg (51.5 KB, 104 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
I had about 1 week to enjoy the old house before I started on the new one.
The renovations here are extensive (to say the least!).

I'd love to do that. Give me in a house with basic wheelchair access, the
outer walls insulated, plumbed and basic electrical and let me build the
rest. Throw a pizza and some beer in the front door every few days and let
me at it.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Personally, I wouldn't texture anything. I look the look of smooth plaster!
But if you're going to texture the ceiling, I would texture only the
underside of the soffit. That allows you to either paint the face of the
soffit to match the walls and/or put a border on it (stencil, wallpaper,
etc). The crown molding also fits better with the non-textured sufaces.

You are tackling this project head-on! Good luck!

[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

My personal choice would be to eliminate the soffits and add cabinets that
were staggered in height, most that went clear up to the ceiling with a
couple that were lower giving a place on top for a plant or some other
decorative element. Soffits - are a complete waste of space.
Like this:

Kate
-- original text follows ---

*snipped*
[...]

House reno pics, soffit detail question. (w/pics)-sp32-20060501-2243122-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

If you DO paint them, make them smooth all over to match the walls so they
can be painted later.
I have a textured ceiling and smooth soffits. If there had been texture on
my soffits, they would have looked ... well... weird.

I painted my walls one color, my soffits another and they made for a very
nice accent. If they had a texture, they may have looked pretty strange.
UNLESS it was like a Venetian plaster done with a nice antiqued finish. That
may look pretty good.

Kate

[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I've dealt with this several different ways but below is what I prefer

Treat the vertical soffit pieces as wall and the horizontal soffit pieces as
ceiling. Also getting the right texture and knock down is a mater of
experimenting so try it on a sheet of plastic before you spray the ceilings.
I also like to remove the texture about 4" - 6" around the outside of the
room and about 1" around all recessed lighting. Give it some character,
otherwise some textured ceilings would be considered "a quick way to hide
imperfections" instead of an extra feature

[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

My main question is how to deal with this soffit for paint and "orange
peel"
knocked down spray on texturing.

the island.

What are your ideas?

Thank you,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, in Mine I'm Him

David:
Popular here in newer houses in the DC area is this tray-like ceiling with a
soffit all the way around.
Maybe a little hard to see but I wasn't tasked with the ceiling, she already
liked that.
A soffit runs around the entire room. There is crown and a half round near
it up in the higher part of the ceiling. The crown and the area out to the
half round are painted a gloss white to give the impression that the crown
extends all the way out. The ceiling is the same color as the room, sort of
off-white... no fashion cents has I, but I like it.
no texture... you'll still have some of the 70's feel with it.
Jack

Attached Thumbnails
House reno pics, soffit detail question. (w/pics)-dcp_2495-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

Ah, not exactly the type soffit I was picturing. What you've pictured
here is what I've always called a "coffered" ceiling, or at least a
variation of.

"Furdown" is used in place of "soffit" amongst most construction crews
around here .... you tell a framing crew that you want a "soffit" in the
kitchen, they'll look at you funny.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

In article ,
"David F. Eisan" wrote:

All the electrical from the interior walls has been moved or removed. The
HVAC ducts have been rerouted to the outside walls and tucked into a soffit
that runs around the main open room.

So you are stuck with the soffit, since it's full of ducts and what-not.
I'll offer a few variations other than what I've seen mentioned so far -
some may not make sense depending on ceiling and soffit bottom height.

Personally, I hate the texture, and associate it with cheap apartments
trying to disguise the crappy drywall job on the ceiling. Do a good job
and use a flat white so that you don't need to do a "perfect" job, as
gloss will shine up even tiny defects.

Coolest, but work - Cove it. Drop a nice convex curve from ceiling to
wall that allows space for the ductwork, make frames to hold the curve,
and either wet and bend drywall or use plaster and do it right, make
nice mitered corners, stunning effect. Tall furniture and short walls
could be a problem.

Craftsman-style ceiling - park a molding/picture-rail/crown on the wall
- everything above is "ceiling", everything below is "wall" - more
commonly seen dropping a 10 foot ceiling to a 7-8 foot "human scale"
visually.

For crown molding with the rectangular soffit, you can double your
pleasure by doing from the wall to the soffit, and from the soffit to
the ceiling - probably better with two different moldings.

You can get a nice effect by painting the soffit a color different from
the walls and ceiling (it's there, make it a feature since you can't
"hide" it.) Say you have blue walls and a white ceiling - paint the
underside of the soffit a lighter blue, and the vertical side a darker
blue - either darker than the underside but still lighter than the
walls, or boldly going darker than the walls. The vertical is a good
surface to stencil, if you're into that sort of detail.

You could also do some serious woodworking - raised panels set into
stiles and rails along that vertical surface (atoning somewhat for all
the 1970's soffits paneled with that lovely fake-wood panelling nailed
up). You could also take that look down around the bottom, if you wanted
to.
Then again, you could go for a slatted look - nail on battens, paint the
undersurface and battens black (or perhaps some other color - black is
typical for trying to make the support "disappear") then put natural
boards over the battens spaced 1/2-3/4" apart.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message

Being the wood guy I am, I would like to add some crown detail, but I

don't
know where or even if I should.

Down here we routinely use crown molding on soffits/furdowns, either painted
or stained, at the junction of the ceiling and the furdown.

My kitchen is done that way. It's a nice touch, IMO, but not everyone's cup
o' tea.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07

Attached Thumbnails
House reno pics, soffit detail question. (w/pics)-furdown-jpg

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in
:

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message

Being the wood guy I am, I would like to add some crown detail, but I

don't
know where or even if I should.

Down here we routinely use crown molding on soffits/furdowns, either
painted or stained, at the junction of the ceiling and the furdown.

My kitchen is done that way. It's a nice touch, IMO, but not
everyone's cup o' tea.

I like the crown, but the dark emphasis draws more attention to the joint
than I like. Painted, in similar colors, but a different gloss value,
might work.

We live in an area with expansive soils and earth movement, both swelling
and quakes. Houses move, and square is a lucky circumstance. We try not
to make a big deal of it, if we can. YMMV, of course.

Patriarch,
slightly east of San Francisco, CA
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"David F. Eisan" wrote in message

Being the wood guy I am, I would like to add some crown detail, but I

don't
know where or even if I should.

Down here we routinely use crown molding on soffits/furdowns, either painted
or stained, at the junction of the ceiling and the furdown.

My kitchen is done that way. It's a nice touch, IMO, but not everyone's cup
o' tea.

Unrelated question, Swingman... Is that some sort of industrial-sized
dishwasher under the hutch? I can't quite figure it out because it is
so much higher than the countertop.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Charlie M. 1958" wrote in message

Unrelated question, Swingman... Is that some sort of industrial-sized
dishwasher under the hutch? I can't quite figure it out because it is
so much higher than the countertop.

It's a regular dishwasher.

Long story short, after the threat of imminent d-i-v-o-r-c-e, from SWMBO
(who saw it in a designer magazine "mockup" where it was unrealistically
located across the kitchen from the sink, just the idea of which offended my
practical nature to the point of initial refusal) I _very_ reluctantly
agreed to the put the dishwasher in a raised cabinet when I built our
current house and kitchen.

(... on reflection, the absolute only possible end result/foregone
conclusion, if you know what I mean)

Anyhow, I ended up building the cabinet to her spec and since then, and
repeatedly having to admit the error of my male ways ever since, I have put
the feature in almost every house I've built in the last four years.

It has ended up being a big selling point with almost every woman who walks
in the door; and generally the first thing you hear at an open house is
"Look honey, I wouldn't have to bend over to take out the dishes".

Depending upon the age of the woman remarking thusly, my usual response, if
I'm present and depending upon whether she has that certain twinkle in her
eye, is that at your/our age, a woman should not be afraid to bend over in
front of her husband ... amazing sometimes the looks that generates.

Here's two versions, one without a dishwasher.

"Patent Pending"

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07

Attached Thumbnails
House reno pics, soffit detail question. (w/pics)-3930-kitchen22-jpg  House reno pics, soffit detail question. (w/pics)-finished2-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

It has ended up being a big selling point with almost every woman who walks
in the door; and generally the first thing you hear at an open house is
"Look honey, I wouldn't have to bend over to take out the dishes".

Don't you just hate it when they're right? :-)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Charlie M. 1958" wrote in message
It has ended up being a big selling point with almost every woman who

walks
in the door; and generally the first thing you hear at an open house is
"Look honey, I wouldn't have to bend over to take out the dishes".

Don't you just hate it when they're right? :-)

I'm guessing that is one of the primary reasons that most washers and
dryers are now up on pedestals with the lower section being some type of
storage drawer for holding supplies? I considered buying a set like that,
but the upper fill drawer for putting in the detergent, softener and bleach
are too damned high for me to easily fill from my wheelchair.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

It has ended up being a big selling point with almost every woman who
walks
in the door; and generally the first thing you hear at an open house is
"Look honey, I wouldn't have to bend over to take out the dishes".

Don't you just hate it when they're right? :-)

They're never wrong ... if you know what's good for you.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/08/07

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

It has ended up being a big selling point with almost every woman who
walks
in the door; and generally the first thing you hear at an open house is
"Look honey, I wouldn't have to bend over to take out the dishes".

Don't you just hate it when they're right? :-)

As well you should. We don't get to be right all that often.

Kate

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Kate" wrote in message
I think it's a GREAT idea!

LOL ... why am I NOT surprised? Point taken, defeat humbly accepted, case
closed!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Patriarch" wrote in message

I like the crown, but the dark emphasis draws more attention to the joint
than I like. Painted, in similar colors, but a different gloss value,
might work.

I agree that it is "elegant" with a tall, two piece, white, crown molding
crowning the an off white furdown ... actually an inexpensive way to get a
layer cake look in a formal dining area, but can be a bit gaudy for my
tastes.

That said, the stain crown I posted is missing the visual impact of the
stained baseboard/shoe molding, and the stained beam covering ... IOW, the
eye has to take in the entire concept in a blink when walking into the room
to get the pleasing effect.

At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Kate" wrote in message
. ..
My personal choice would be to eliminate the soffits and add cabinets that
were staggered in height, most that went clear up to the ceiling with a
couple that were lower giving a place on top for a plant or some other
decorative element. Soffits - are a complete waste of space.
Like this:

Oooh, I like it! It's already saved in my "House Ideas" folder. Thanks.

-- Mark

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message

"Kate" wrote in message
. ..
My personal choice would be to eliminate the soffits and add cabinets that
were staggered in height, most that went clear up to the ceiling with a
couple that were lower giving a place on top for a plant or some other
decorative element. Soffits - are a complete waste of space.
Like this:

Oooh, I like it! It's already saved in my "House Ideas" folder. Thanks.

-- Mark

*smile*
My pleasure!

Kate

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

They're never wrong ... if you know what's good for you.

They control half the money . . . and all the sex; in many instances ALL
the money AND all the sex.
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

Heh... sez YOU!
K.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

They're never wrong ... if you know what's good for you.

They control half the money . . . and all the sex; in many instances ALL
the money AND all the sex.

They only control the sex you have with THEM. There are always other
options..... just like in woodworking.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Dave in Houston wrote:
"Charlie M. 1958" wrote in message

They only control the sex you have with THEM. There are always other
options..... just like in woodworking.

Yessir, my SYB once threatened to cut me off. I told her she couldn't;
she didn't know where I was getting it!
Okay, so that's a complete fabrication.

heh...heh...that's an oldie but goodie.

But I have actually told my wife that I intended to have sex
tonight..... and if she'd care to join me, it would be even better.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Charlie M. 1958 wrote:
Dave in Houston wrote:
"Charlie M. 1958" wrote in message

They only control the sex you have with THEM. There are always other
options..... just like in woodworking.

Yessir, my SYB once threatened to cut me off. I told her she
couldn't; she didn't know where I was getting it!
Okay, so that's a complete fabrication.

heh...heh...that's an oldie but goodie.

But I have actually told my wife that I intended to have sex
tonight..... and if she'd care to join me, it would be even better.

Or you could have Al Bundy's problem, where Peg drains both his wallet
AND his libido:

"Peg, if you want to have sex, just call me and let me know when you're
done, then I'll come home."

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Dave in Houston wrote:
"Charlie M. 1958" wrote in message

They only control the sex you have with THEM. There are always other
options..... just like in woodworking.

Yessir, my SYB once threatened to cut me off. I told her she
couldn't;
she didn't know where I was getting it!
Okay, so that's a complete fabrication.

heh...heh...that's an oldie but goodie.

But I have actually told my wife that I intended to have sex
tonight..... and if she'd care to join me, it would be even better.
---
I'm going to try that one on my husband tonight.....
Kate

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Dave in Houston wrote:
"Charlie M. 1958" wrote in message

They only control the sex you have with THEM. There are always other
options..... just like in woodworking.

Yessir, my SYB once threatened to cut me off. I told her she
couldn't;
she didn't know where I was getting it!
Okay, so that's a complete fabrication.

heh...heh...that's an oldie but goodie.

But I have actually told my wife that I intended to have sex
tonight..... and if she'd care to join me, it would be even better.
---
I'm going to try that one on my husband tonight.....
Kate

If that doesn't work, you'd better check to make sure he has a pulse. :-)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

The mans man finally decides to get married. Shortly after the honey moon
ends he struts into the kitchen and says "Honey this is the way it's going
to be. I'm going to go out when I want, return when I want, go bowling with
my friends when I want and eat what I want, and eat what I want" His wife
looks at him and says "That's fine honey.., BUT at 7 pm every night there is
going to be sex in this house whether your here or not"

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

HotRdd wrote:
The mans man finally decides to get married. Shortly after the honey moon
ends he struts into the kitchen and says "Honey this is the way it's going
to be. I'm going to go out when I want, return when I want, go bowling with
my friends when I want and eat what I want, and eat what I want" His wife
looks at him and says "That's fine honey.., BUT at 7 pm every night there is
going to be sex in this house whether your here or not"

Seems to me like there would be more happy marriages if more women
adopted this philosophy. ;-)