Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Do These Casters Come Apart? with pics...

Oren wrote:
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 23:58:48 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

If I can get the wheel off I can come in from the side.

Good luck. Go for it

I have a 25 year old chair with the same original casters. Never
pulled a wheel off, but I was able to clean one caster that was not
rolling properly. I love that office chair still to today.

If you do get one side off, please inform us.

I gave up. I tried the widest prying object that I could get between the
wheel and the axle housing. Using more force than I was comfortable with,
all I did was put indentations in the plastic housing. The wheel didn't
move outward by even the tiniest amount.

I'm thinking that each wheel has a "knob" on the end of its axle that is
captured within the sealed housing preventing it from being moved outward,
away from the housing.

I'm going to take some measurements, order new casters and have them
delivered to my daughter at her college.