Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Do These Casters Come Apart? with pics...

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

"dadiOH" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Oren wrote:
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 23:58:48 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

If I can get the wheel off I can come in from the
side.

Good luck. Go for it

I have a 25 year old chair with the same original
casters. Never pulled a wheel off, but I was able
to clean one caster that was not rolling properly.
I love that office chair still to today.

If you do get one side off, please inform us.

I gave up. I tried the widest prying object that I
could get between the wheel and the axle housing.
Using more force than I was comfortable with, all I
did was put indentations in the plastic housing. The
wheel didn't move outward by even the tiniest amount.

I'm thinking that each wheel has a "knob" on the end
of its axle that is captured within the sealed housing
preventing it from being moved outward, away from the
housing.

I'm going to take some measurements, order new casters
and have them delivered to my daughter at her college.

I'd suggest ball casters, easy to clean. One source...
http://www.servicecaster.com/furniture/baron.php

Prices vary for $2+ to $10+ depending on source.

That might be an idea if they come with the correct size
stem for the chair I have.

Why are they easy to clean? Is the axle more accessible
than the plastic wheeled casters I was struggling with?

I've never had to clean one but yes, the axle is more accessible. You can
get them with different sizes/types of stems. If any of the stemmed ones at
Ou****er Plastics would serve, their prices are great as is their shipping.
Getting the whole catalog is worthwhile too.

http://www.ou****ercatalogs.com/lg_d.../ball%20caster

--

dadiOH