Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Which screws to use for 2 x 4 construction?

Went to add a structure to the studs and need to use screws to assemble
[no real way to pound nails in and pounding would damage existing
structure, so nails are OUT] BUT! vaguely remember some threads here
regarding using readily available 'sheet rock' screws causing failures in
a structure under load.

Thought I should ask the 'experts' here.

Can I use sheetrock screws if they are to be placed only in tension and
never in shear mode? Or, is using sheetrock screws totally stupid? Are
there readily available 'construction' screws from HD that are an all
around better choice?

Problem is that I've had good personal experience using sheetrock screws
in some other [albeit poorly assembled] construction [choice ofsheet-rock
screws was a matter of convenience and they actually held better than
nails]. The long term integrity of the structure didn't matter a great
deal. All the structures came under heavy wind load the nails failed due
to slight movement simply working the nails out. The screws themselves
remained intact, but sometimes they stripped out of their holes and the
structures failed, too.

However, during construction I did 'snap' a few screws off, reminding me
they are a bit brittle. It's just I envision 'construction' screws being
more 'rubbery' and less brittle.

Are screws simply screws and just go ahead? Is it all right to use
sheetrock screws for a bit of construction? [interior, will have some