Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Followup: Free Gas Leak Test and Repair?

They finished replacing the gas service to my house today. There were
apparently no leaks and the only appliance that needed relighting was the
water heater. One of the crew members was nice enough to light it for me
and made sure I tested my stove, furnace and dryer. Everything worked fine.

The crew was as nice as I expected them to be based on our previous
conversations. They offered me options for the placement of my meter and
even did a little landscaping for me. Allow me to explain...

My meter is on the side of my house, about 3 feet from the front corner.
The pipe into the house comes out of the meter, wraps around the corner to
the front of the house and enters through the block foundation. There are
bushes across the front of the house which wrap around the corner and hide
the meter. Unfortunately, they also overhang a portion of the walkway along
the side of the house. For the past few years, SWMBO and I have talked
about ripping out all of the bushes and building a raised planter out of
landscaping blocks so she can add even more plants to our lot. Things keep
coming up, the season ends and we go another year without changing
anything.

So the crew chief rings my bell at 7 this morning and asks me to come
outside. He points to the meter behind the bush, states that the riser I
have is no longer to code and that they have to dig it out and replace it.
Based on the locations of the bases of the bushes, they can either move the
meter to the front where the pipe enters the house or they will have to rip
out the 3 bushes that round the corner.

It took me about 1/2 second to tell them to leave the meter where it is and
rip out the bushes. They appeared a bit surprised that I answered so
quickly, but I told them that my wife and I had already talked about it and
we were kind of hoping that they would tell us the bushes had to go. We
hoped it would get us kick started for our landscaping project next spring.
They laughed, said OK and started up the excavator.

After they were done I grabbed a bottle of vinyl siding cleaner, scrubbed
the green crap off of the siding that had been behind the bushes and swept
the now accessible walkway. Even though the meter is now exposed, I'm glad
the bushes are gone. If we wrap the planter around the side of the house
like the bushes were, a couple of plants or _small_ bushes will hide it
again.

All in all, it worked out rather well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2013 4:03 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

You da man! Glad it turned out so well, for you.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 21:03:13 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

So the crew chief rings my bell at 7 this morning and asks me to come
outside. He points to the meter behind the bush, states that the riser I
have is no longer to code and that they have to dig it out and replace it.
Based on the locations of the bases of the bushes, they can either move the
meter to the front where the pipe enters the house or they will have to rip
out the 3 bushes that round the corner.

It took me about 1/2 second to tell them to leave the meter where it is and
rip out the bushes. They appeared a bit surprised that I answered so
quickly, but I told them that my wife and I had already talked about it and
we were kind of hoping that they would tell us the bushes had to go. We
hoped it would get us kick started for our landscaping project next spring.
They laughed, said OK and started up the excavator.

Good things come to those who wait? I'm a fan of procrastination, but
not my bride
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2013 8:57 PM, Oren wrote:

Good things come to those who wait? I'm a fan of procrastination, but
not my bride

You put off getting married (to all those others)
until the perfect one arrived?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 18:57:15 -0700, Oren wrote:

...snip....

Good things come to those who wait? I'm a fan of procrastination, but
not my bride

You have to admit that society 'trains' one to procrastinate.

For example:

1. When matriculating [is that the right word?] at Stanford, I had
everything prepared, read, planned, laid out a working schedule of
classes. Then being so prepared when I actually registered took almost two
hours! Forewarned the next year I simply showed up, almost late, and the
assisstants paniced at how late I was, so whisked me through registration.
Time? about 5 minutes.

2. DMV renewal with testing required...Showed up early waited and waited
and waited [You've seen the Gahan Wilson cartoon of the collapsed skeleton
from being forced to wait so long?] Next time [a few years later] I showed
up 10 minutes before they closed [so they HAD to take me] they all paniced
I took a written test, got a photograph and was out in less than 15
minutes.

3. Most important of all. Had a huge problem pending, hanging over my
head, that I worried about for months and months. Then, things changed and
problem evaporated. I was only out the worry, no actions reuqired.

Society TEACHES us to procrastinate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11-19-2013, 10:02, RobertMacy wrote:
2. DMV renewal with testing required...Showed up early waited and waited
and waited [You've seen the Gahan Wilson cartoon of the collapsed
skeleton from being forced to wait so long?] Next time [a few years
later] I showed up 10 minutes before they closed [so they HAD to take
me] they all paniced I took a written test, got a photograph and was out
in less than 15 minutes.

We solved that problem here. Close at six, no applications will be
started after five.

--
Wes Groleau

People would have more leisure time if it weren't
for all the leisure-time activities that use it up.
€” Peg Bracken

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RobertMacy" wrote in message

stuff snipped

Society TEACHES us to procrastinate.

Efficiency teaches us to procrastinate because some stuff that's put off
does eventually solve itself. What could be more efficient? (-;

--
Bobby G.

Free Gas Leak Test and Repair? DerbyDad03 Home Repair 18 November 17th 13 12:27 AM
air leak test question Jim Home Repair 3 August 31st 09 01:16 PM
Followup -- How do you test a DC servo motor Wes[_2_] Metalworking 9 June 9th 09 12:27 AM
ESR & low resistance test meter - free circuit Homer J Simpson Electronics Repair 7 October 29th 06 05:23 AM
gas fire leak test andy smith UK diy 5 September 26th 03 10:28 PM