Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AC ground, copper-pex

On 10/30/2013 6:28 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 15:39:59 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Just wondering for now. Have an all copper plumbing. What happen to
my ground if the pipes are replaced with PEX? Have two connections
that I am aware of. One to the cold water pipe at water heater. The
other one is ground rod by the meter.

So, what to do to the cold water ground? It is required by code here.
Does that mean that PEX is not feasible?

thanks
richard

Drive another rod 6 feet away from the existing one and connect them
together with a #6 solid copper wire.
That is all you need to be legal.

The ground represented by your copper pipe i the part outside
underground anyway. As long as that stays copper your grounding
electrode is still established.

We always used #4 from the single ground rod to the panel but are you
positing that #6 should be used to connect any ground rods together?

You don't need larger than #6 if it is "free from exposure to physical
damage". A ground rod can't sink all that much current.

I seem to remember you stating that you were an electrical inspector at
one time and I'd like your opinion on the new flexible gas lines being
used in a lot of new construction and remodels. As I recall, it's a thin
corrugated stainless steel or copper alloy which makes it bendable by
hand and I'm guessing that an electrical arc such as one from a
lightning strike could punch a hole through it regardless of the plastic
jacket and I believe it could cause a fire. What can you tell me of code
requirements, if any, about grounding gas lines? ^_^

I recently heard an electrical inspector talk about CSST. He did a lot
of reading about it because manufacturers now want it grounded. The
question is who does the bonding. His recommendation was for electrians
not to do it, then they won't be named in the lawsuit. And if you do
bond it, follow the manufacturer's instructions exactly. Manufacturers
have different instructions for how they want their CSST bonded. The NEC
doesn't required bonding. (The NEC does not allow gas pipe be used as an
earthing electrode. Any bonding required by the NEC is done by the
branch circuit ground wire at, for instance, a furnace.)

As you wrote, plumbers like CSST because it is so easy to run. It is
easy to run because the wall thickness is so thin, about the thickness
of 2 pieces of paper. Unfortunately the gas pipe may be at the potential
of the earth where the gas pipe enters the building. The electrical
system can be at a very different potential during an 'event'. As you
wrote, there can be an arc from the CSST to other metal. Because of the
thin wall that can burn a hole in the CSST. If you are lucky the arc
lights the escaping gas.

There have been many fires. For example there was a class-action lawsuit
filed in Arkansas that was settled in 2006. In a 2 year period in Iowa
there were 200 fires linked to CSST.

As a result, manufacturers now require the CSST be bonded to the
electrical system. This helps, but does not eliminate the problem. There
have been fires in houses where the CSST was bonded according to the
manufacturer's instructions. An example was a single 'near' lightning
strike (OH) where 5 houses caught fire. At least a couple were
'properly' bonded.