Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What to use to prevent stepping on nails

It's been years since I stepped on a nail, but it happened again. When
I'm working on a project, I never leave boards laying around with nails
sticking up. I either remove them, bend them over, or at least stick
them in the ground for a brief time. If I have a pile of used naily
boards that I intend to reuse, I stuck them out of the way, where I know
they wont get under foot, and still try to point the nails downward.

But the problem is that other people leave them in dangerous places. I
was recently salvaging some lumber from a demolition. The house had
been crushed, and was piled next to a garage which I had permission to
salvage the garage lumber. In many places I had to literally walk on
the debris from the crushed house, and was very careful to watch my
steps for nails. I've done this many times and never stepped on one.
But someone had left a board with spikes laying on the lawn, which had
not been mowed in months. It could not be seen, and one of those damn
spikes went right in my foot, which lead to a severe puncture wound as
well as a sprained ankle, because when the nail went in, I fell down.

The foot is healing, although slowly. That's after several visits to
the doctor antibiotics, pain pills and an ankle splint, plus several
days lost from work and having to use crutches for a few days, not to
mention the pain.

I keep thinking that this will be the last time I step on a nail, but
I've come to the conclusion that no person can be careful enough,
particularly when working away from home where some other idiot left a
naily board under lawn grass or a tarp or a million other hidden places.

This got me thinking and asking if there is any sort of shoe insert
manufactured that will prevent a nail from going into the foot? I do
not know of any shoe or boot sole that is strong enough to prevent a
nail from going thru. I guess a sturdy leather is better than tennis
shoes or some plastic sole, but still, a nail can and will go thru.
Steel toed shoes only protect the toes, and actually a nail in the toe
area is far less painful than in the mid-foot or heel. Plus the nail
might go between the toes (I was lucky enough to do that once).

Anyhow, unless there is a special shoe made for this purpose which I am
not aware of, do they make some sort of steel inserts to put inside of
shoes? I'm thinking of cutting some from some heavy gauge steel,
putting them in my shoes, and putting a foam pad over them. This is not
that difficult to do, but before I "reinvent the wheel", I thought I'd
ask if there is something already made for this purpose.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 03:11:46 -0500, wrote in
Re What to use to prevent
stepping on nails:

This got me thinking and asking if there is any sort of shoe insert
manufactured that will prevent a nail from going into the foot?

Found some insoles here
http://unequal.com/foot but it says
"fortified" with Kevlar. What does "fortified" really mean: 1%
Kevlar?
I wouldn't trust it much.

OTOH, here is a wholesaler of inserts:
http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/kevlar-insole.html
so someone must be using them. Note the above are Chinese wholesalers
so maybe you can get info about retailers from them by email.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2013 7:55 AM, CRNG wrote:
On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 03:11:46 -0500, wrote in
Re What to use to prevent
stepping on nails:

This got me thinking and asking if there is any sort of shoe insert
manufactured that will prevent a nail from going into the foot?

Found some insoles here
http://unequal.com/foot but it says
"fortified" with Kevlar. What does "fortified" really mean: 1%
Kevlar?
I wouldn't trust it much.

OTOH, here is a wholesaler of inserts:
http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/kevlar-insole.html
so someone must be using them. Note the above are Chinese wholesalers
so maybe you can get info about retailers from them by email.

Have not researched it but I would go with safety shoes designed to be
puncture resistant:

http://ohsonline.com/articles/2006/0...usty-nail.aspx

Kevlar can increase cut resistance but you could drive a nail through a
Kevlar bullet proof vest.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That sounds miserable. I think the term you're seeking is "steel shank
boot".
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th..._on_work_boots
What is the steel shank on work boots?
In: Clothing [Edit categories]
Answer:
What is a steel shank and when is it used?
This is a metal plate in the sole of the boot that makes it more
comfortable for a worker to stand for a long time on a narrow peg. It
provides extra support for the foot, and is used for climbing.

It can also serve a purpose for safety in that if you step on something
sharp that would normally puncture the book the steel shank stops it
from entering your foot

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/23/2013 4:11 AM, wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Sep 2013 11:43:02 GMT, notbob wrote in
Re What to use to prevent
stepping on nails:

On 2013-09-23, wrote:

Anyhow, unless there is a special shoe made for this purpose which I am
not aware......

Usta be, you could buy army surplus Vietnam jungle boots, the one's
with the canvas upper. Since there was an ever present danger of
simple nails-in-a-board cong booby traps, they started making those
boots with a metal plate in the bottom. At least that's how I
remember it. Whether or not those surplus jungle boots are still
being made with said metal plate, --or even at all-- I cannot say,
but it may be worth exploring.

Well, whattya know, first web search reveals:

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/...ngle-boot.html

Note the "Spike Protective" in the description.

nb --king of the web!

Well, the OP was looking for an "insert"; but IMO the above boot is a
better solution given the price. I wouldn't be surprised if inserts,
if you can find them, are around the price of the above boots.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Sorry to hear that. Hope wound is healing, not infected.
There is no 110% safety measure, I am safety freak. Industrial work
boots or 'Nam era Jungle boots(maybe from surplus store?) which all has
steel sole plate embedded.

If there is loose nails in work area, I sweep with big magnet to collect
them. But it won't pick up Aluminum nails.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
That sounds miserable. I think the term you're seeking is "steel shank
boot".

Hi,
Any good quality shoes has shank. It does not cover whole bottom. It is
like a shaft to support sole. It is like back bone in our body.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Hope he had a tetanus shot recently or got one after the injury.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/23/2013 09:00 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Problem with "jungle boots" is that the soles wear out very quickly if
you walk a lot on rough concrete, brick, etc. Had a pair in college and
the soles were smooth in maybe 18 mos. I'm sure I got them at some army
surplus or other.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Senior Member

Any place that sells work boots will sell both steel toed, steel soled as well as work boots with both a steel toe and steel sole.

My understanding of a "steel shank" in a work boot is that it's a short narrow plate of steel that makes it more comfortable if you have to stand on a steel ladder or steel pegs (such as those on a telephone pole) for long periods of time. However, if they can put a steel shank in the sole of a work boot, they can make that shank larger and call it a steel sole work boot to protect the foot from stepping on something sharp.

You should also be aware that people that work in meat packing plants that use knives to cut up meat will wear gloves made of fine chain mail to prevent cutting their hands. It may be possible to buy that chain mail material from the manufacturer and cutting into the size and shape of an insole. You could then use double sided tape to stick that chain male insole to the bottom of an ordinary insole, and slip that into your regular shoes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

. . . someone had left a board with spikes laying on the lawn, which had
not been mowed in months. It could not be seen, and one of those damn
spikes went right in my foot, which lead to a severe puncture wound as
well as a sprained ankle, because when the nail went in, I fell down.

The foot is healing, although slowly.

Rx. bush worker boots, e.g. Forest brand by Acton (Quebec.)
They cost $150 to $200 and last about 10 years.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kevlar in boots are for newbies of a CCW.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"CRNG" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 03:11:46 -0500, wrote in
Re What to use to prevent
stepping on nails:

This got me thinking and asking if there is any sort of shoe insert
manufactured that will prevent a nail from going into the foot?

Found some insoles here
http://unequal.com/foot but it says
"fortified" with Kevlar. What does "fortified" really mean: 1%
Kevlar?
I wouldn't trust it much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

given the risks of stepping on a nail is it really worth it? at least as i get older i try to be more careful, at 56 i heal slower
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's like breakfast cereal. Means they added it, but
it doesn't do much.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"CRNG" wrote in message
Found some insoles here http://unequal.com/foot but it says
"fortified" with Kevlar. What does "fortified" really mean: 1%
Kevlar?
I wouldn't trust it much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah, leave it to the kids. Know what
you mean about old. Just passed 50.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/23/2013 7:14 PM, bob haller wrote:
given the risks of stepping on a nail is it

really worth it? at least as i get older i try
to be more careful, at 56 i heal slower

Posted to alt.home.repair

Now, that's a terrific idea. Love it. Summer asphalt
really can cook ones feetsies.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/23/2013 7:49 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Not what you asked but might be worth a try. I guess workers who
stand on blacktop a lot during summer will fasten small pieces of wood
to their work boots. It would give you an excuse to use duct tape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 16:14:23 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

given the risks of stepping on a nail is it really worth it? at least as
i get older i try to be more careful, at 56 i heal slower

I'm older than you and I am extremely careful. I heal slower too. But
when a naily board has grass growing over it, and cant be seen, it will
getcha. That's what happened to me. I just had on some cheap plastic
soled canvas shoes too. I tend to stay away from thick leather shoes in
hot weather, because they overheat my whole body. But if I ever do
another job where there may be a hidden nail, I will wear whatever
protects my feet. Nails in the foot are very painful. But the doctor
said it's healing, even though I still cant step on that part of the
foot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 23, 2013 1:11:46 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Go to any decent shoe store and ask for a pair of safety work boots with a metal plate to prevent punctures as well as steel toe caps. I have a pair in my closet now.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

You should also be aware that people that work in meat packing plants
that use knives to cut up meat will wear gloves made of fine chain mail
to prevent cutting their hands. It may be possible to buy that chain
mail material from the manufacturer and cutting into the size and shape
of an insole. You could then use double sided tape to stick that chain
male insole to the bottom of an ordinary insole, and slip that into your
regular shoes.

I would think the nails would pass through the
chain mail. Anyway I am not volunteering to test.

The original poster certainly got nailed...

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Oct 2013 21:04:17 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

nestork posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

You should also be aware that people that work in meat packing plants
that use knives to cut up meat will wear gloves made of fine chain mail
to prevent cutting their hands. It may be possible to buy that chain
mail material from the manufacturer and cutting into the size and shape
of an insole. You could then use double sided tape to stick that chain
male insole to the bottom of an ordinary insole, and slip that into your
regular shoes.

I would think the nails would pass through the
chain mail. Anyway I am not volunteering to test.

The original poster certainly got nailed...

Steel shank boots
Chain mail works for cuts from knives, but almost torally ineffective
against nails. Kevlar fiber might work HKS uses it in their "nail
proof" shoes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 23, 2013 1:11:46 AM UTC-7, wrote:
It's been years since I stepped on a nail, but it happened again. When

I'm working on a project, I never leave boards laying around with nails

sticking up. I either remove them, bend them over, or at least stick

them in the ground for a brief time. If I have a pile of used naily

boards that I intend to reuse, I stuck them out of the way, where I know

they wont get under foot, and still try to point the nails downward.

[...snip...]
This is not that difficult to do, but before I "reinvent the wheel", I thought I'd ask if there is something already made for this purpose.

****Not that I know anything about the subject g but what about using shoes that are elevated over 4 "cleats" in each corner of the sole. IOW, you're walking on very low "stilts".

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What to use to prevent stepping on nails -- McFeelys

I just saw in a McFeelys catalog has insoles for
this.
--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 23, 2013 at 3:11:46 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Hi, you might want to think about some sturdy work boots that are insulated (to keep you cool) with a steel shank, and maybe think about ANSI cut rated kevlar hockey socks. people think kevlar might work, and those socks are the real deal, but make sure it is rated at least 4, probably 5.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 9:42:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

It's a good thing that you offered him that option. The OP hasn't taken a
step in 4 years due to his fear of stepping on nails. He can finally walk
again. Hallelujah!

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
It's a good thing that you offered him that option. The OP hasn't taken a
step in 4 years due to his fear of stepping on nails. He can finally walk
again. Hallelujah!

i jumped off the backend of a truck and landed on
a large nail once.

cut the board off and left the spike in my foot
with the piece of board on it and went to the docs.
got some good looks and conversations out of that in
the waiting room.

wasn't much blood and it healed up without
complications. the workboot they cut off my foot
didn't fare so well...

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Sorry I forgot about this before mentioning the kevlar socks, but get redwing boots with their puncture-resistant feature. other companies may have the same thing, and this is literally its purpose, to protect against sharp hazards underfoot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

here is the link to PR boots http://www.redwingshoes.com/footwear...ture-resistant