Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default What to use to prevent stepping on nails

On 09/23/2013 09:00 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
It's been years since I stepped on a nail, but it happened again. When
I'm working on a project, I never leave boards laying around with nails
sticking up. I either remove them, bend them over, or at least stick
them in the ground for a brief time. If I have a pile of used naily
boards that I intend to reuse, I stuck them out of the way, where I know
they wont get under foot, and still try to point the nails downward.

But the problem is that other people leave them in dangerous places. I
was recently salvaging some lumber from a demolition. The house had
been crushed, and was piled next to a garage which I had permission to
salvage the garage lumber. In many places I had to literally walk on
the debris from the crushed house, and was very careful to watch my
steps for nails. I've done this many times and never stepped on one.
But someone had left a board with spikes laying on the lawn, which had
not been mowed in months. It could not be seen, and one of those damn
spikes went right in my foot, which lead to a severe puncture wound as
well as a sprained ankle, because when the nail went in, I fell down.

The foot is healing, although slowly. That's after several visits to
the doctor antibiotics, pain pills and an ankle splint, plus several
days lost from work and having to use crutches for a few days, not to
mention the pain.

I keep thinking that this will be the last time I step on a nail, but
I've come to the conclusion that no person can be careful enough,
particularly when working away from home where some other idiot left a
naily board under lawn grass or a tarp or a million other hidden places.

This got me thinking and asking if there is any sort of shoe insert
manufactured that will prevent a nail from going into the foot? I do
not know of any shoe or boot sole that is strong enough to prevent a
nail from going thru. I guess a sturdy leather is better than tennis
shoes or some plastic sole, but still, a nail can and will go thru.
Steel toed shoes only protect the toes, and actually a nail in the toe
area is far less painful than in the mid-foot or heel. Plus the nail
might go between the toes (I was lucky enough to do that once).

Anyhow, unless there is a special shoe made for this purpose which I am
not aware of, do they make some sort of steel inserts to put inside of
shoes? I'm thinking of cutting some from some heavy gauge steel,
putting them in my shoes, and putting a foam pad over them. This is not
that difficult to do, but before I "reinvent the wheel", I thought I'd
ask if there is something already made for this purpose.

Thanks

Hi,
Sorry to hear that. Hope wound is healing, not infected.
There is no 110% safety measure, I am safety freak. Industrial work
boots or 'Nam era Jungle boots(maybe from surplus store?) which all has
steel sole plate embedded.

If there is loose nails in work area, I sweep with big magnet to collect
them. But it won't pick up Aluminum nails.

Problem with "jungle boots" is that the soles wear out very quickly if
you walk a lot on rough concrete, brick, etc. Had a pair in college and
the soles were smooth in maybe 18 mos. I'm sure I got them at some army
surplus or other.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.