Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT backup battery question

I have a deep discharge battery with a small slow charger I use to provide
a light and fan during power outages.

We had an 11 hour outage last night and I had to go through the pouring
rain and mud to get the battery from an adjoining building. Ugh! BTDT
before.

I decided to start keeping the battery in my mobile home bathroom to avoid
this in the future. The bathroom has an always-open window. Should I be
concerned about trickle charging the battery there?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 23, 2013 12:45:34 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
I have a deep discharge battery with a small slow charger I use to provide

a light and fan during power outages.

We had an 11 hour outage last night and I had to go through the pouring

rain and mud to get the battery from an adjoining building. Ugh! BTDT

before.

I decided to start keeping the battery in my mobile home bathroom to avoid

this in the future. The bathroom has an always-open window. Should I be

concerned about trickle charging the battery there?

TIA

Good grief! I'd be worried about the always open window.

The battery, assuming you keep an eye on it occasionally,
I would not be worried about. I hope by trickle charger
you mean a battery tender type of device that monitors and
charges if needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2013 12:45 PM, KenK wrote:
I have a deep discharge battery with a small slow charger I use to provide
a light and fan during power outages.

We had an 11 hour outage last night and I had to go through the pouring
rain and mud to get the battery from an adjoining building. Ugh! BTDT
before.

I decided to start keeping the battery in my mobile home bathroom to avoid
this in the future. The bathroom has an always-open window. Should I be
concerned about trickle charging the battery there?

TIA

My wife keeps one of these things in the bedroom with no problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had one in the hall of my trailer for years.
No problems with hydrogen, or acid.

The float charger from Horrid Fright "boiled"
1 1/2 quarts of water out of the cells and
killed the battery. Much better to check the
voltage with a VOM every week or so, and only
charged if below 12.4v or so.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/23/2013 12:45 PM, KenK wrote:
I have a deep discharge battery with a small slow charger I use to provide
a light and fan during power outages.

We had an 11 hour outage last night and I had to go through the pouring
rain and mud to get the battery from an adjoining building. Ugh! BTDT
before.

I decided to start keeping the battery in my mobile home bathroom to avoid
this in the future. The bathroom has an always-open window. Should I be
concerned about trickle charging the battery there?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 12:58:10 -0400, Frank
wrote:

My wife keeps one of these things in the bedroom with no problem.

Isn't there a risk of explosion?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2013 11:45 AM, KenK wrote:
I have a deep discharge battery with a small slow charger I use to provide
a light and fan during power outages.

We had an 11 hour outage last night and I had to go through the pouring
rain and mud to get the battery from an adjoining building. Ugh! BTDT
before.

I decided to start keeping the battery in my mobile home bathroom to avoid
this in the future. The bathroom has an always-open window. Should I be
concerned about trickle charging the battery there?

TIA

I don't think your post is off topic at all. You can purchase one of the
newer wall mounted LED emergency lights which is designed to keep a
battery charged for use whenever the power goes out. I'm sure there is
enough power to run a small DC fan too. What I do, is use battery backup
units for computers and other electronic equipment to run lights and
fans when we lose power around my home. I pick up non functioning units
all the time that need new batteries or some distilled water added to
the dead battery to get some more life out of them. I like to recycle
and repurpose old equipment for other uses around the house or for
businesses. ^_^

http://www.harborfreight.com/recharg...ght-38013.html

https://tinyurl.com/kx36ana

https://tinyurl.com/lxlkwhp

https://tinyurl.com/k23pqj9

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My wife keeps one of these things in the bedroom with no problem.

Isn't there a risk of explosion?

Don't know why. Unless she's charging it, it is not plugged in.
I've got lead backup batteries on three computers too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If the battery is
1) charging
2) releasing hydrogen
3) the hydrogen is captured
4) the hydrogen to air mixture is correct
within narrowly defined limits
5) there is a viable source of ignition

Then, it can explode. I've been present for
one battery explosion which was not trickle
charged, not indoors, and the old farmer
wiggled the boost charging clamps to make a
spark.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:

My wife keeps one of these things in the bedroom with no problem.

Isn't there a risk of explosion?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've got an old comptuer UPS, been planning to wire that to a car or
trolling battery for extended run. Someday, yes, for sure, someday. At
present I've got a vehicle battery in the other room, just waiting for
its day of use.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

I don't think your post is off topic at all. You can purchase one of the
newer wall mounted LED emergency lights which is designed to keep a
battery charged for use whenever the power goes out. I'm sure there is
enough power to run a small DC fan too. What I do, is use battery backup
units for computers and other electronic equipment to run lights and
fans when we lose power around my home. I pick up non functioning units
all the time that need new batteries or some distilled water added to
the dead battery to get some more life out of them. I like to recycle
and repurpose old equipment for other uses around the house or for
businesses. ^_^

http://www.harborfreight.com/recharg...ght-38013.html

https://tinyurl.com/kx36ana

https://tinyurl.com/lxlkwhp

https://tinyurl.com/k23pqj9

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Aug 2013 16:45:34 GMT, KenK wrote:

I have a deep discharge battery with a small slow charger I use to provide
a light and fan during power outages.

We had an 11 hour outage last night and I had to go through the pouring
rain and mud to get the battery from an adjoining building. Ugh! BTDT
before.

I decided to start keeping the battery in my mobile home bathroom to avoid
this in the future. The bathroom has an always-open window. Should I be
concerned about trickle charging the battery there?

Why don't you change to Sealed Lead-Acid batteries. In a pinch, they
can be charged like a normal lead-acid, take constant charging well,
and last a long time. They're the best chemistry for this
application.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2013 5:55 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've got an old comptuer UPS, been planning to wire that to a car or
trolling battery for extended run. Someday, yes, for sure, someday. At
present I've got a vehicle battery in the other room, just waiting for
its day of use.

I have a bunch of the larger UPS units 750 watt to 1.5 kw that have
external battery connections. You can get the batter plug pigtails from
most suppliers selling computer backup power supplies. You can probably
get an SLA garden tractor battery that has lugs for a reasonable price. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
I have a deep discharge battery with a small slow charger I use to provide
a light and fan during power outages.

We had an 11 hour outage last night and I had to go through the pouring
rain and mud to get the battery from an adjoining building. Ugh! BTDT
before.

I decided to start keeping the battery in my mobile home bathroom to avoid
this in the future. The bathroom has an always-open window. Should I be
concerned about trickle charging the battery there?

TIA

Figure hydrogen goes up to the ceiling. I agree about the harbor freight
trickle charger, the current could be cut down. I was going to make some
measurements, but on to do list.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 8/23/2013 5:55 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've got an old comptuer UPS, been planning to wire that to a car or
trolling battery for extended run. Someday, yes, for sure, someday.
At present I've got a vehicle battery in the other room, just
waiting for its day of use.

I have a bunch of the larger UPS units 750 watt to 1.5 kw that have
external battery connections. You can get the batter plug pigtails
from most suppliers selling computer backup power supplies. You can
probably get an SLA garden tractor battery that has lugs for a
reasonable price. ^_^

A garden tractor battery is not a deep discharge battery, and would be a bad
choice for this usage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 20:13:04 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 8/23/2013 8:05 PM, Bob F wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 8/23/2013 5:55 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've got an old comptuer UPS, been planning to wire that to a car
or trolling battery for extended run. Someday, yes, for sure,
someday. At present I've got a vehicle battery in the other room,
just waiting for its day of use.

I have a bunch of the larger UPS units 750 watt to 1.5 kw that
have external battery connections. You can get the batter plug
pigtails from most suppliers selling computer backup power
supplies. You can probably get an SLA garden tractor battery that
has lugs for a reasonable price. ^_^

A garden tractor battery is not a deep discharge battery, and would
be a bad choice for this usage.

I'm cheap. ^_^

TDD

Always enough money to buy things twice, but never enough to buy the
right thing the first time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Aug 2013 16:45:34 GMT, KenK wrote:

I have a deep discharge battery with a small slow charger I use to provide
a light and fan during power outages.

We had an 11 hour outage last night and I had to go through the pouring
rain and mud to get the battery from an adjoining building. Ugh! BTDT
before.

I decided to start keeping the battery in my mobile home bathroom to avoid
this in the future. The bathroom has an always-open window. Should I be
concerned about trickle charging the battery there?

TIA

I don't think so. The only think that comes to mind is how fast
does the charger charge when the b attery has been used, say for 11
hours, and it's quite low. Is it still only a trickle? I think so.
I think it takes 2 or 3 24-hour days for a battery to fully recharge
when it's fully discharged. I did that many times with a 1 amp
charger. Your trickle charger probably puts out no more than an amp
(although you can measure it and be sure.)

The most importart part is that your window is open all the time.
You're sure? Even in the winter? Even when it's raining? If yes,
I'm 99% sure that makes it safe. (I always leave 1% on general
principles.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 23, 2013 2:09:28 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I had one in the hall of my trailer for years.

No problems with hydrogen, or acid.

The float charger from Horrid Fright "boiled"

1 1/2 quarts of water out of the cells and

killed the battery. Much better to check the

voltage with a VOM every week or so, and only

charged if below 12.4v or so.

I think the better solution is to not rely on HF
for something that needs to be quality and that you're
going to use 24/7. I've used several Battery Tenders
for years on boat, motorcycle batteries with no
problems. Battery Tenders is the brand name.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That sounds like wisdom. Two bucks more cost, and
save the $80 marine battery from early death.

Did you hear about the termite who walked
into a tavern?
He asked "Is the bar tender here?"

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/24/2013 10:25 AM, wrote:
The float charger from Horrid Fright "boiled"

1 1/2 quarts of water out of the cells and

I think the better solution is to not rely on HF
for something that needs to be quality and that you're
going to use 24/7. I've used several Battery Tenders
for years on boat, motorcycle batteries with no
problems. Battery Tenders is the brand name.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
A garden tractor battery is not a deep discharge battery, and would
be a bad choice for this usage.

I'm cheap. ^_^

TDD

Always enough money to buy things twice, but never enough to buy the
right thing the first time.

Heck, a trawling motor battery has studs with wing nuts. ^_^

And is a deep discharge battery.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/24/2013 11:13 AM, Bob F wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
A garden tractor battery is not a deep discharge battery, and would
be a bad choice for this usage.

I'm cheap. ^_^

TDD
Always enough money to buy things twice, but never enough to buy the
right thing the first time.

Heck, a trawling motor battery has studs with wing nuts. ^_^

And is a deep discharge battery.

When I pass gas, it's a deep discharge, I've been told my farts are from
Hell. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
That sounds like wisdom. Two bucks more cost, and
save the $80 marine battery from early death.

Did you hear about the termite who walked
into a tavern?
He asked "Is the bar tender here?"

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

On 8/24/2013 10:25 AM, wrote:
The float charger from Horrid Fright "boiled"

1 1/2 quarts of water out of the cells and

I think the better solution is to not rely on HF
for something that needs to be quality and that you're
going to use 24/7. I've used several Battery Tenders
for years on boat, motorcycle batteries with no
problems. Battery Tenders is the brand name.

My brother was charging up two 90 or 120 AHR batteries in our boat with
trickle charger. Took ,2-3 months in winter.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hope the batteries didn't freeze, during that
winter process.

I'd have been tempted to find a faster charger,
rather than risk freeze damage. I had a battery
one time in my unheated shed. My vehicle battery
died, and so I got the one out of the shed. Find
it to be frozen solid. Even after thawing indoors,
it was still useless. Ought have stored it
indoors.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/24/2013 10:11 PM, gregz wrote:

My brother was charging up two 90 or 120 AHR batteries in our boat with
trickle charger. Took ,2-3 months in winter.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

a fully charged battery will not freeze.......

a discharged battery like the one in your shed will easily freeze......

batteries sitting around will self discharge easily
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/24/2013 10:25 AM, wrote:
The float charger from Horrid Fright "boiled"

1 1/2 quarts of water out of the cells and

I think the better solution is to not rely on HF
for something that needs to be quality and that you're
going to use 24/7. I've used several Battery Tenders
for years on boat, motorcycle batteries with no
problems. Battery Tenders is the brand name.

My brother was charging up two 90 or 120 AHR batteries in our boat with
trickle charger. Took ,2-3 months in winter.

Those are big batteries. It should take a 1A charger well less than a
week from nothing (which a L-A battery should never see) to full
charge. Something was wrong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 06:25:15 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Hope the batteries didn't freeze, during that
winter process.

I'd have been tempted to find a faster charger,
rather than risk freeze damage. I had a battery
one time in my unheated shed. My vehicle battery
died, and so I got the one out of the shed. Find
it to be frozen solid. Even after thawing indoors,
it was still useless. Ought have stored it
indoors.

If it froze, it was already dead (unless your shed was in Antarctica).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 00:19:31 -0400, micky
wrote:

[...]

And besides the window, there is the door to the bathroom. I doubt
if that is closed much, so the hydrogen dissapates through the whole
house, exits through open windows and doors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 04:31:49 +0000 (UTC), gregz

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 16:09:30 +0000 (UTC), gregz

On 8/24/2013 10:25 AM, wrote:
The float charger from Horrid Fright "boiled"

1 1/2 quarts of water out of the cells and

I think the better solution is to not rely on HF
for something that needs to be quality and that you're
going to use 24/7. I've used several Battery Tenders
for years on boat, motorcycle batteries with no
problems. Battery Tenders is the brand name.

My brother was charging up two 90 or 120 AHR batteries in our boat with
trickle charger. Took ,2-3 months in winter.

Those are big batteries. It should take a 1A charger well less than a
week from nothing (which a L-A battery should never see) to full
charge. Something was wrong.

The batteries were not completely dead. What's not known, is the charge
amps.

Or if the charger was actually working.

He was watching the voltage rise every few days, weeks, months.

IIRC, batteries (of all chemistries?) keep 90% of their voltage until
they are 90% discharged. I wonder if it is the same on the way back
up, that they have 90% of the rated voltage when they are only 10%
charged.

Greg

Basement Watchdog battery backup sump Question Chris (SilverUnicorn) Home Repair 4 April 1st 08 01:17 PM
Battery backup for 5v DC ~ 2amps? Noozer Electronics 5 February 23rd 07 04:24 PM
Sump battery backup Jack Home Repair 4 October 10th 06 06:34 AM
Sump Pump Backup battery question [email protected] Home Repair 11 April 5th 06 02:50 PM
alarm system battery backup, battery replacement question Michael Baugh Home Repair 1 June 19th 04 03:35 PM