Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default OT backup battery question

On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 00:19:31 -0400, micky
wrote:

On 23 Aug 2013 16:45:34 GMT, KenK wrote:

I have a deep discharge battery with a small slow charger I use to provide
a light and fan during power outages.

We had an 11 hour outage last night and I had to go through the pouring
rain and mud to get the battery from an adjoining building. Ugh! BTDT
before.

I decided to start keeping the battery in my mobile home bathroom to avoid
this in the future. The bathroom has an always-open window. Should I be
concerned about trickle charging the battery there?

TIA

I don't think so. The only think that comes to mind is how fast
does the charger charge when the b attery has been used, say for 11
hours, and it's quite low. Is it still only a trickle? I think so.
I think it takes 2 or 3 24-hour days for a battery to fully recharge
when it's fully discharged. I did that many times with a 1 amp
charger. Your trickle charger probably puts out no more than an amp
(although you can measure it and be sure.)

The most importart part is that your window is open all the time.
You're sure? Even in the winter? Even when it's raining? If yes,
I'm 99% sure that makes it safe. (I always leave 1% on general
principles.)

And besides the window, there is the door to the bathroom. I doubt
if that is closed much, so the hydrogen dissapates through the whole
house, exits through open windows and doors.