Posted to alt.home.repair

Default One Thing That Many Homeowners And Apartment Dwellers May Have

It's pets, many of us own them or have been adopted by them. Sandy, my
highly trained attack Rotthuahua is curled up in my lap as I type this.
Sandy is actually a Red Deer Head Chihuahua who believes she's a
Rottweiler and tries her best to make any stranger knocking at the door
believe it too. Anyway, I came across some important information that
many of those with pets really need to know and may never have given any
thought to. A Salmonella outbreak was traced back to a local meat supply
company that had an employee who owned an iguana. The guy had no
idea that his pet could endanger so many people by contaminating the
food supply if wasn't very careful how he handled raw meat. Comforting
dying pets through their last days turned out to be dangerous for animal
owners who wound up with life-threatening infections from the close
contact, a new report finds. The federal Food and Drug Administration
earlier this year warned consumers about the dangers of xylitol
poisoning in dogs and ferrets from candy sweetened with the sugar
substitute. Most folks know not to give chocolate to their dogs
but the dangers of xylitol was a new one for me. If you're like me, you
may use treats as a training aid for your pet or just because you're a
nice guy. Chicken jerky dog treats imported from China have been turning
up tainted with dangerous toxins. I buy treats for the canine residents
of my home and I will start looking for the source of the treats before
I buy any more. O_o

https://tinyurl.com/parhaa5

https://tinyurl.com/olnko3l

https://tinyurl.com/nr3u7xe

http://www.anapsid.org/salm3.html

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 29, 2013 4:43:21 AM UTC-5, The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

Bizarre title...but thanks! *L*
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Turtles also harbor salmonella.....we didn't know that when I was a kid
and we kept the turtle on the kitchen counter ) Of course, in those
days we probably didn't trade creatures and germs so much.

When I look for CHEAP answers to alga problem in my koi pond, one
offering is some kind of giant Japanese snail....just what we need to
turn loose into the environment. Dang Koi just finished spawning again,
mucking up the water and adding to an over-populated pond. A huge
snapping bullfrog has moved in and likes to hang in the water, watching
me as I watch him. He was hanging onto a plant in the water at edge of
pond the other morning, peering at me with his big black eyes, as
usual......he normally hightails it when he sees me move, and I waved my
hand at him but he didn't budge. Being ever so curious, I picked up a
twig and poked at him with it....he snapped at the twig with every poke
) He has probably been dining on Koi fry, but he missed at least four
of them.....built a cage for the babies, but they escaped. They are
small enough they have algae and little spaces to hide in, and seem
pretty lively. I've been looking at Koi recipes to cure the
overpopulation, but really can't go there. Haven't the heart to smack
them on the head, even if I was fast enough to catch them. What to do.....?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 04:43:21 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

It's pets, many of us own them or have been adopted by them.

Other things dangerous for dogs.

•Alcohol
•Avocados
•Chocolate (all types)
•Coffee (all forms)
•Garlic
•Grapes and raisins
•Macadamia nuts
•Moldy or spoiled foods
•Onions or onion powder
•Salt
•Yeast dough
•Xylitol (sweetener)

http://www.petfinder.com/dogs/dog-nutrition/dangerous-foods-for-dogs/

Boo loves those chicken jerky treats. I'll be looking into where they
are made, as one link you gave mentioned them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It's pets, many of us own them or have been adopted by them.

Other things dangerous for dogs.

•Alcohol
•Avocados
•Chocolate (all types)
•Coffee (all forms)
•Garlic
•Grapes and raisins
•Macadamia nuts
•Moldy or spoiled foods
•Onions or onion powder
•Salt
•Yeast dough
•Xylitol (sweetener)

http://www.petfinder.com/dogs/dog-nutrition/dangerous-foods-for-dogs/

Boo loves those chicken jerky treats. I'll be looking into where they
are made, as one link you gave mentioned them.

The little kids next door helped me and my roommate carry the groceries
in one day and not knowing any better, the kids set the grocery bags on
the floor. The next thing I saw was Sandy carrying off a fried chicken
thigh that was half her size. That was her meal for the day. I have to
be so careful not to put the groceries on the floor when I bring them
in. Many years ago, I raised a Weimaraner from a pup and by the time he
was a year old, he could stand on his hind legs and put his front paws
on my shoulders. One day, I was eating some Vienna sausages and had to
answer the door so I got up from the kitchen table leaving the can on
the table. When I came back to the kitchen, the can was still on the
table right where I left it but it was empty. Dogster was sitting there
on the kitchen floor with an innocent look on his face. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 11:43:46 -0700, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

[...]

Once after an extremely short sojourn when we came home, our dog, one of
the first coton in the US, we found sitting in the far corner of the
dining room, just facing into the corner, didn't even come to greet us!
Why? What's wrong? Are youu ill? No, he had nibbled into the Thanksgiving
turkey bigtime and had placed himself into the corner as punishment -
something we had never done, so don't know why he thought of it, but we
were laughing so hard couldn't even be angry. Don't tell me dogs don't
have a conscience.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My Weimaraner had very expressive eyebrows and he had expressions that
would let you know his state of mind. It was so funny to see the
expression on his face when he knew he had done something wrong. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"you actually eat those!" some dieticians will say.

I've seen lists of ten foods to always avoid, and the lists usually are
about 8 of 10 are the foods in my daily diet.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 7/29/2013 3:47 PM, Russ N. wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 19:11:55 -0700, RobertMacy
wrote:

Once after an extremely short sojourn when we came home, our dog, one of
the first coton in the US, we found sitting in the far corner of the
dining room, just facing into the corner, didn't even come to greet us!
Why? What's wrong? Are youu ill? No, he had nibbled into the Thanksgiving
turkey bigtime and had placed himself into the corner as punishment -
something we had never done, so don't know why he thought of it, but we
were laughing so hard couldn't even be angry. Don't tell me dogs don't
have a conscience.

Dog with a conscience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6LMVdFdlxPk

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It's pets, many of us own them or have been adopted by them.

Other things dangerous for dogs.

€˘Alcohol
€˘Avocados
€˘Chocolate (all types)
€˘Coffee (all forms)
€˘Garlic
€˘Grapes and raisins
€˘Macadamia nuts
€˘Moldy or spoiled foods
€˘Onions or onion powder
€˘Salt
€˘Yeast dough
€˘Xylitol (sweetener)

http://www.petfinder.com/dogs/dog-nutrition/dangerous-foods-for-dogs/

Interesting, garlic is on that list.

WOW! When our dog developed congenital heart problems, needed extremely
low salt diet, and started losing appetite; our veterinarian, who also ran
a dog kennel, suggested we add garlic to his food [the dog's not the
doc's] We never did, only because Ms. AND me are both allergic to garlic,
so not only don't have it in the house, but find the smell way too
offensive to even be around. Hmmm. poisonous for the dog, yet the vet
prescribed it. For what it's worth, we found simply cooking the dog food,
preparing it like ours helped more than anything. In a 'throw-away'
skillet of course. Phew! How can they eat that swill?! Oh well, dog health
food is dog health food.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 09:40:37 -0700, RobertMacy
wrote:

[...]

I found Avocados included on the list to be odd.

Years ago we lived in an avocado grove. My Visla (RIP) would hear them
drop from the trees, run out and eat them.

When she broke wind it would run you OUT of the cabin, but it never
hurt the dog