Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pea stone/gravel for a parking pad

The local government insists that no cars or vehicles be parked on unpaved
ground. I'm planning to put pea stone down and wonder what sort of
preparation is required.

When my neighbor did this, they just dumped a LOT of the stone on the ground
and spread it out. As you can imagine, stones went everywhere and the area
was impossible to walk through because you would sink into the stones. The
stones got onto the lawn from snow shoveling and banged up the lawnmower
blades and occasionally sent missiles flying through the air. I'd like to
avoid that, if possible, although it may just come with the territory.

Am I correct in assuming that pea stones are roundish, cream and white
roundish colored stones about 3/8" in diameter while pea gravel has more
ragged edges? Does anyone have pricing information for their area so I can
compare the quotes I get from the several places I will be calling in the
next few hours? I realize location makes a big cost difference but I am
just looking for gross data points.

How much would it/should it take to create a "pad" for a minivan?

The precise wording of the ordinance says that as long as the wheels are on
stone, brick or gravel, they can be just runners that the tires sit on and
the whole area need not be covered in building material. I think that would
look tacky, but it might be easier to control the pea stone by digging two
parallel trenches, lining them with a layer of sand and then filling the
trench with the stone.

Thanks in advance for your input,

--
Bobby G.