Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sump pump: crushed stone to gravel

Hi,

What's better to set a sump pump in: crushed stone or gravel. I heard
crushed stone, but I have a ton of gravel (about 3/4") and I would
like to use that if I could.

Thanks!

Sam
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 24, 11:19*am, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

What's better to set a sump pump in: crushed stone or gravel. I heard
crushed stone, but I have a ton of gravel (about 3/4") and I would
like to use that if I could.

Thanks!

Sam

sit the pump directly on a patio stone, this raises it a bit to
minimize crud getting into the pump.

gravel or stone both work provided water can pass thru them
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 24, 8:19*am, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

What's better to set a sump pump in: crushed stone or gravel. I heard
crushed stone, but I have a ton of gravel (about 3/4") and I would
like to use that if I could.

Thanks!

Sam

Sam-

For what you're doing I doubt it matters all that much.

Gravel is a somewhat loose term, local dependent.
In ScCal a lot of what goes for gravel is really crushed rock.

You might consider some sort of geotextile or substitute, like shade
cloth, to minimize soil & debris infiltration.

If you really want to get technical take a look at these
http://www.stormtech.com/download_fi...techsheet1.pdf
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/stormwate....3%20print.pdf
http://www.nesc.wvu.edu/pdf/WW/publi...ne/PL_SP05.pdf

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 24, 12:29*pm, DD_BobK wrote:
On Mar 24, 8:19*am, Sam Takoy wrote:

Hi,

What's better to set a sump pump in: crushed stone or gravel. I heard
crushed stone, but I have a ton of gravel (about 3/4") and I would
like to use that if I could.

Thanks!

Sam

Sam-

For what you're doing I doubt it matters all that much.

Agree.

Gravel is a somewhat loose term, local dependent.
In ScCal a lot of what goes for gravel is really crushed rock.

Here in NJ what he would want to use would be
washed gravel. Regular gravel has some sand,
clay, etc mixed in.

You might consider some sort of geotextile or substitute, like shade
cloth, to minimize soil & debris infiltration.

If you really want to get technical take a look at thesehttp://www.stormtech.com/download_files/pdf/techsheet1.pdfhttp://www.state.nj.us/dep/stormwater/bmp_manual/NJ_SWBMP_9.3%20print...http://www.nesc.wvu.edu/pdf/WW/publi...ne/PL_SP05.pdf

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/24/2012 10:19 AM, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

What's better to set a sump pump in: crushed stone or gravel. I heard
crushed stone, but I have a ton of gravel (about 3/4") and I would
like to use that if I could.

Thanks!

Sam

is there a difference?