Posted to alt.home.repair

Default gravel parking space

Hi,

I'd like to build a small parking lot in my backyard without any roof or
walls, just to park my car there.
I think the cheapest solution would be a "do-it-yourself"gravel parking
spot.
Does anybody know what is required for such project? I suspect it's more
than just ordering and spreading gravel there.

Do I have to build any foundation for that ?... etc...

Any answers or suggestions will be apprecaited.

Thank you,

Vadim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 10:43 pm, "Vadim" wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to build a small parking lot in my backyard without any roof or
walls, just to park my car there.
I think the cheapest solution would be a "do-it-yourself"gravel parking
spot.
Does anybody know what is required for such project? I suspect it's more
than just ordering and spreading gravel there.

Do I have to build any foundation for that ?... etc...

Any answers or suggestions will be apprecaited.

Thank you,

http://www.tremron.com/home_owners/erosion_turf.html

There's a local plant near me that manufactures that type. A local
mason supply can order them for you. They're fairly cheap and easy to
put down.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 02:43:25 GMT, "Vadim" wrote:

Hi,

I'd like to build a small parking lot in my backyard without any roof or
walls, just to park my car there.
I think the cheapest solution would be a "do-it-yourself"gravel parking
spot.

Why not just park on the grass. If you ever kill the grass and it
gets muddy, then you can add the gravel.

Does anybody know what is required for such project? I suspect it's more
than just ordering and spreading gravel there.

Do I have to build any foundation for that ?... etc...

Any answers or suggestions will be apprecaited.

Thank you,

Vadim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 11:49 pm, mm wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 02:43:25 GMT, "Vadim" wrote:

I'd like to build a small parking lot in my backyard without any roof or
walls, just to park my car there.
I think the cheapest solution would be a "do-it-yourself"gravel parking
spot.

Why not just park on the grass. If you ever kill the grass and it
gets muddy, then you can add the gravel.

Why wait? Shouldn't be too long before the grass is dead.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Jun 17, 11:50 pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Jun 17, 11:49 pm, mm wrote:

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 02:43:25 GMT, "Vadim" wrote:

I'd like to build a small parking lot in my backyard without any roof or
walls, just to park my car there.
I think the cheapest solution would be a "do-it-yourself"gravel parking
spot.

Why not just park on the grass. If you ever kill the grass and it
gets muddy, then you can add the gravel.

Why wait? Shouldn't be too long before the grass is dead.

Rico, Rico, Rico. You missed the answer I was waiting for from you --
you've been in the big city for too long.

The correct answer is: First, find out where your septic tank is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

First off you probably want to avoid plain gravel as the round stones shift
all over the place and cause mischief. Look for a product called "road
base". That is a mixture of crushed rock and sand with a little clay mixed
in to get it to stick together. Several inches of this kind of material
should do the trick.

You also might consider concrete pavers, not as cheap as a dump truck full
of rocks but a little more aesthetically pleasing to some.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

"Vadim" wrote in message
Hi,

I'd like to build a small parking lot in my backyard without any roof or
walls, just to park my car there.
I think the cheapest solution would be a "do-it-yourself"gravel parking
spot.
Does anybody know what is required for such project? I suspect it's more
than just ordering and spreading gravel there.

Do I have to build any foundation for that ?... etc...

Any answers or suggestions will be apprecaited.

Thank you,

Vadim

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 20:50:38 -0700, RicodJour
wrote:

On Jun 17, 11:49 pm, mm wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 02:43:25 GMT, "Vadim" wrote:

I'd like to build a small parking lot in my backyard without any roof or
walls, just to park my car there.
I think the cheapest solution would be a "do-it-yourself"gravel parking
spot.

Why not just park on the grass. If you ever kill the grass and it
gets muddy, then you can add the gravel.

Why wait? Shouldn't be too long before the grass is dead.

It seems like he only has one car to park, and I don't know how much
of the time it will be there.

I'm pretty sure I've seen grass last for years like that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 12:07 am, Pat wrote:

Rico, Rico, Rico. You missed the answer I was waiting for from you --
you've been in the big city for too long.

The correct answer is: First, find out where your septic tank is.

Ummm, why would my septic tank have anything to do with the OP's
parking situation...? ~

Posted to alt.home.repair

gravel driveways always get muddy, no matter what you do. I added 500
bucks worth of new gravel to a 65 foot driveway within 2 years mud.

proobably overkill for this poster but a neighbor had a mud free
driveway.

he had it dug out with bulldozed a foot down, had a cheap layer of
asphalt laid, then added a foot of gravel. 15 years and zero mud. no
extra grravel needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

gravel driveways always get muddy, no matter what you do. I added 500
bucks worth of new gravel to a 65 foot driveway within 2 years mud.

Not if they re put in properly. The house I built in 1998 still just has
gravel in the 100 ft driveway..NO MUD

Place we re in now..2004 to date..no mud

Posted to alt.home.repair

Vadim wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to build a small parking lot in my backyard without any roof
or walls, just to park my car there.
I think the cheapest solution would be a "do-it-yourself"gravel
parking spot.
Does anybody know what is required for such project? I suspect it's
more than just ordering and spreading gravel there.

Do I have to build any foundation for that ?... etc...

Any answers or suggestions will be apprecaited.

Thank you,

Vadim

To do it right means removing 4-6" of soil and compacting gravel in that
place.

Personally, unless it would be long term parking, I would suggest using
those concrete things that allow the grass to grow up between them. The
link is to some plastic version. http://www.grassypavers.com/

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 7:21 am, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

To do it right means removing 4-6" of soil and compacting gravel in that
place.

Personally, unless it would be long term parking, I would suggest using
those concrete things that allow the grass to grow up between them. The
link is to some plastic version. http://www.grassypavers.com/

Hey Joe. I just posted about that particular manufacturer's
ridiculous claims. Purportedly the plastic grid can support 97,000
PSF.

I don't support manufactorial (yes, I just made that up) fraud. There
are plenty of other manufacturers of both concrete and plastic
permeable pavers - it's not necessary to reward the wicked.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 02:43:25 GMT, "Vadim" wrote:

Hi,

I'd like to build a small parking lot in my backyard without any roof or
walls, just to park my car there.
I think the cheapest solution would be a "do-it-yourself"gravel parking
spot.
Does anybody know what is required for such project? I suspect it's more
than just ordering and spreading gravel there.

Do I have to build any foundation for that ?... etc...

Any answers or suggestions will be apprecaited.

Thank you,

Vadim

Some type of border will help contain the gravel, no foundation
needed. Use a bow rake to spread out the gravel--a string with level
will help get it even. Expect to replenish the gravel over time if
you don't use a border.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Vadim wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to build a small parking lot in my backyard without any roof or
walls, just to park my car there.
I think the cheapest solution would be a "do-it-yourself"gravel parking
spot.
Does anybody know what is required for such project? I suspect it's more
than just ordering and spreading gravel there.

Do I have to build any foundation for that ?... etc...

Any answers or suggestions will be apprecaited.

Thank you,

Vadim

Now the damper. Be sure and check your local codes.
Here in Tulsa gravel parking spaces aren't allowed.
Parking areas have to be hard surfaced.

Bill Gill
Posted to alt.home.repair

You'll want a base of a kind of rock that has many variations in name
depending on your area.

some call it AB3, some call it "crush and run". Anyway, it's the gravel you
see with lots of powder in it. It will make a jim dandy base and if you
compact it as you spread it, and it will help to water it as you do it.
This stuff sets up like concrete and then you can put some nice "3/4 clean"
(what it's call in our area) on top.

--
Steve Barker

"Vadim" wrote in message
Hi,

I'd like to build a small parking lot in my backyard without any roof or
walls, just to park my car there.
I think the cheapest solution would be a "do-it-yourself"gravel parking
spot.
Does anybody know what is required for such project? I suspect it's more
than just ordering and spreading gravel there.

Do I have to build any foundation for that ?... etc...

Any answers or suggestions will be apprecaited.

Thank you,

Vadim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Another urban myth. If the tank is at the proper depth, there's no reason
to worry about driving over it. The only concern would be accessing the
cleanout plug.

--
Steve Barker

"Pat" wrote in message
oups.com...
The correct answer is: First, find out where your septic tank is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
Another urban myth. If the tank is at the proper depth, there's no reason
to worry about driving over it. The only concern would be accessing the
cleanout plug.

nope

there are driving rated tanks and those not so. It isn't the car you
would worry about, but the concrete truck or dumpster truck or backhoe
that you will inevitably have there....
Posted to alt.home.repair

Some type of border will help contain the gravel, no foundation
needed. Use a bow rake to spread out the gravel--a string with level
will help get it even. Expect to replenish the gravel over time if
you don't use a border.

Jezuus Chis guys, A yard or 2 of 3/4 inch stone will last for friggin
ever, when it moves, washes sinks you get some more. this is not rocket
science.

60 foot gravel driveway, sloped to the street a yard every few years, 4
hours maint a year[mostly shoveling the gravel back from where I plowed
it to]
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

To do it right means removing 4-6" of soil and compacting gravel
in that place.

Personally, unless it would be long term parking, I would
suggest using those concrete things that allow the grass to grow up
between them. The link is to some plastic version.
http://www.grassypavers.com/

Hey Joe. I just posted about that particular manufacturer's
ridiculous claims. Purportedly the plastic grid can support 97,000
PSF.

I don't support manufactorial (yes, I just made that up) fraud. There
are plenty of other manufacturers of both concrete and plastic
permeable pavers - it's not necessary to reward the wicked.

Yea, I was not attempting to endorse the product, I just found it and
thought it looked interesting. I did not even read any of the claims. I
think I would stick to the concrete versions myself.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

To do it right means removing 4-6" of soil and compacting gravel
in that place.

Personally, unless it would be long term parking, I would
suggest using those concrete things that allow the grass to grow up
between them. The link is to some plastic version.
http://www.grassypavers.com/

Hey Joe. I just posted about that particular manufacturer's
ridiculous claims. Purportedly the plastic grid can support 97,000
PSF.

I don't support manufactorial (yes, I just made that up) fraud. There
are plenty of other manufacturers of both concrete and plastic
permeable pavers - it's not necessary to reward the wicked.

Yea, I was not attempting to endorse the product, I just found it and
thought it looked interesting. I did not even read any of the claims. I
think I would stick to the concrete versions myself.

That's what I prefer . On a recent project the landscaper who was
doing the installation, having never seen the stuff before, was having
conniptions about how "difficult" the stuff is to work with. Say
what? It's a big brick, ya idjit! That was the first indication that
the guy was a maroon - it went downhill from there.

Private parking space: tarmac, concrete or blocks? Mike D UK diy 12 June 13th 07 01:09 PM
Parking Pad Jim Home Repair 9 August 12th 06 08:19 PM
OT. Parking David Lang UK diy 74 May 30th 05 05:56 PM
parking space: pavement vs. gravel W.D. Home Repair 13 September 8th 04 11:00 PM
Building Regs For Parking Space Matt Scantlebury UK diy 3 November 17th 03 11:18 PM