Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Socket holders

On Sat, 13 Jul 2013 07:12:08 -0700 (PDT), gary
wrote:

I have this tool box:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-20inc...1&blockType=G1

It's a real pain to search through all of the sockets in the red removable tray to find the needed socket. Do you have suggestions as to how I can organize the sockets better?

There certainly is. You can find out how by reading a thread on the
subject from June, 2012.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky View Post
It's a real pain to search through all of the sockets in the red removable tray to find the needed socket. Do you have suggestions as to how I can organize the sockets better?
I use these:

It's basically a bar with anywhere from 12 to 16 metal clips on it. The clips are 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch square so that you can push a socket onto each clip going from smallest to largest.

And, I find that they work pretty good.

Get them with different handle colours if you have both 8 point and 12 point sockets as I do.

They also work well for other kinds of sockets, like impact sockets.

Last edited by nestork : July 14th 13 at 08:27 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

[image: http://toolsandmore.us/ProductImages/mit/1896a.jpg]

It's basically a bar with anywhere from 12 to 16 metal clips on it. The
clips are 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch square so that you can push a socket
onto each clip going from smallest to largest.

And, I find that they work pretty good.

Get them with different handle colours if you have both 8 point and 12
point sockets as I do.

They also work well for other kinds of sockets, like impact sockets.

nestork,

Did you happen to see my thread about your image links? You know that only
the links show up in usenet newsreaders, not the images themselves, right?
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyDad03 View Post
nestork,
Did you happen to see my thread about your image links? You know that only
the links show up in usenet newsreaders, not the images themselves, right?
DerbyDad:

I'm not using a usenet newsreader. I'm using Internet Explorer 8.0 to post on this board, and the images show up fine on my computer.

If you look in the little box on the bottom left corner of this web page, you'll see that it says:

"[IMG] code is On"

That means this web page is capable of displaying images in the text, so why not use that capability?

Try accessing this web page with any web browser and you should see the images, not just their URL's.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 21:24:58 +0200, nestork
wrote:

micky;3091593 Wrote:

It's a real pain to search through all of the sockets in the red
removable tray to find the needed socket. Do you have suggestions as to
how I can organize the sockets better?

I use these:

[image: http://toolsandmore.us/ProductImages/mit/1896a.jpg]

It's basically a bar with anywhere from 12 to 16 metal clips on it. The
clips are 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch square so that you can push a socket
onto each clip going from smallest to largest.

And, I find that they work pretty good.

Get them with different handle colours if you have both 8 point and 12
point sockets as I do.

They also work well for other kinds of sockets, like impact sockets.

I used one of these for years, until I crushed it rolling over it with
my van.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-craf...-/261245237885

The socket rail on mine was full length. It carried a standard set
3/8" and 1/2" drive sockets, ratchets, breaker bars and extensions.
Also held the combo wrenches. Some extra sockets like spark plug.
Besides that it was no problem getting some pliers, vise-grips and
screwdrivers in there.
That rail is the easily the best method of containing and ordering
sockets that I've seen.
The problem I've encountered with sockets is the duplicates and
variations you end up with. Long, normal, short, 6 and 12 point.
Then double it all for metric.
As it is I keep my Craftsman 1/2 3/8 1/4 set in the 3-drawer toolbox
it came in. It's heavy as hell even without loading up the top
compartment. Has the combo wrenches too, which get small use.
It's also bulky, because the plastic inserts to hold the various tools
are taking up space.
All the other sockets are piled in another toolbox.
If you're not using a roll-around tool chest or working near where you
keep your tools, you have to give thought to weight, and what you're
dragging around.
When I come across the right shallow box, I'll fabricate it with a set
of full length rails ala the box above to hold all my "extra" sockets.
Another useful tool box is this:
http://tinyurl.com/nm9rles
Easy to make. Used to have one and it was very handy for taking
longer tools to jobs. Wood and plumbing jobs and just about anything
else.
If you make the sides high enough you can tuck some power tools under
the handle. You can make it very light, as mine was, by using 1/4"
plywood for the sides.
Now I generally use a 5-gallon pail, but long tools make it "tippy."

..

Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote:
DerbyDad03;3091949 Wrote:

nestork,
Did you happen to see my thread about your image links? You know that
only
the links show up in usenet newsreaders, not the images themselves,
right?

DerbyDad:

I'm not using a usenet newsreader. I'm using Internet Explorer 8.0 to
post on this board, and the images show up fine on my computer.

If you look in the little box on the bottom left corner of this web
page, you'll see that it says:

Many of us can't "look in the bottom left corner of this web page" because
we do not use a browser to read usenet groups.

Anyone using a usenet newsreader will not see you images, just the link.

In most cases it's OK, such as with Thunderbird, but the newsreader on my
iPad doesn't like the ] at the end of the image link. As I mentioned
before, that's not really your problem, I just thought I'd mention it. I
don't know if any other newsreader have that same problem.

"[IMG] code is On"

That means this web page is capable of displaying images in the text, so
why not use that capability?

Try accessing this web page with any web browser and you should see the
images, not just their URL's.

You keep saying "this web page" but I don't know what "web page" you are
referring to because I am not using a browser.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/14/2013 03:24 PM, nestork wrote:

micky;3091593 Wrote:

It's a real pain to search through all of the sockets in the red
removable tray to find the needed socket. Do you have suggestions as to
how I can organize the sockets better?

I use these:

[image: http://toolsandmore.us/ProductImages/mit/1896a.jpg]

It's basically a bar with anywhere from 12 to 16 metal clips on it. The
clips are 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch square so that you can push a socket
onto each clip going from smallest to largest.

And, I find that they work pretty good.

Get them with different handle colours if you have both 8 point and 12
point sockets as I do.

They also work well for other kinds of sockets, like impact sockets.

I had some, didn't like them... the clips weren't made to tight enough
tolerances so sockets would fall off of some and be damn near impossible
to get off others. If they were made better they'd be good.

I like the Lisle magnetic socket holders myself. Expensive but I've had
mine for probably 15 years, so it's proven to be worth it.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/15/2013 12:09 AM, nestork wrote:
DerbyDad03;3091949 Wrote:

nestork,
Did you happen to see my thread about your image links? You know that
only the links show up in usenet newsreaders, not the images themselves,
right?

DerbyDad:

I'm not using a usenet newsreader. I'm using Internet Explorer 8.0 to
post on this board, and the images show up fine on my computer.

This is _NOT_ a "board", it's a usenet group...

If you look in the little box on the bottom left corner of this web
page, you'll see that it says:

"[IMG] code is On"

That means this web page is capable of displaying images in the text, so
why not use that capability?

Because ahr is a usenet text group, not binaries and most newsservers
won't host the binary, anyway.

At least have the courtesy to simply encapsulate the links w/ ... ;
nntp will do a better job of not breaking them and other readers will be
less likely to choke.

If the reader is interested he can always go to a browser but it's
simply rude to expect the rest of the world to follow your use of
nonstandard-conforming software...

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpb View Post
DerbyDad03;3091949 Wrote:

[...]

I am more than willing to accomodate the people in this group that use usenet readers instead of browsers. You're saying I can do that by putting the character string:

... ;

on each side of my image links? Is this correct?

Also will those people that are using web browsers still be able to see the images?

I simply feel that the ability to illustrate exactly what I'm talking about with an image is an important benefit to those people asking for advice.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/15/2013 11:34 AM, nestork wrote:
dpb;3092143 Wrote:

Because ahr is a usenet text group, not binaries and most newsservers
won't host the binary, anyway.

At least have the courtesy to simply encapsulate the links w/ ... ;
nntp will do a better job of not breaking them and other readers will be
less likely to choke.

If the reader is interested he can always go to a browser ...

I am more than willing to accomodate the people in this group that use
usenet readers instead of browsers. You're saying I can do that by
putting the character string:

.. ;

on each side of my image links? Is this correct?

No, not sure how that ended up in there; not what intended.

Use around the URL...that's conventional (and I think is what the RFC
says but I didn't go look it up).

url

Also will those people that are using web browsers still be able to see
the images?

Possibly; at least they _should_ get a live link. Well, let's see--what
do you see from

http://stevegarufi.com/kansas-plains/k3.jpg

?

I simply feel that the ability to illustrate exactly what I'm talking
about with an image is an important benefit to those people asking for
advice.

Well, again, if the audience doesn't know w/o and image, the link is all
they need to go get it if they wish; meanwhile those who do know or are
bandwidth-limited or who are simply using usenet _because_ it is a text
medium w/o all the hoopla and often excessive use of bandwidth aren't
unduly burdened.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 01:17:02 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

nestork wrote:

I use these:

[image: http://toolsandmore.us/ProductImages/mit/1896a.jpg]

nestork,

Did you happen to see my thread about your image links? You know that only
the links show up in usenet newsreaders, not the images themselves, right?

What's the problem? I click on the link if I want to see it. Are you
saying images should always show up when I open a post?
I don't want that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

nestork wrote:

I use these:

[image: http://toolsandmore.us/ProductImages/mit/1896a.jpg]

nestork,

Did you happen to see my thread about your image links? You know that only
the links show up in usenet newsreaders, not the images themselves, right?

What's the problem? I click on the link if I want to see it. Are you
saying images should always show up when I open a post?
I don't want that.

No, I'm not saying I want the images to show. The issue is that nestork
thought that we all saw them because he uses IE8 to post in a.h.r and he
can see his images.

Accessing the images via a link is how most people using a usenet
newsreader want to view them, if they want to view them.

I brought up the issue because the type of image links that IE8 creates -
using [image: link URL] - causes problems with at least one newsreader, the
one I use on my iPad. It picks up the closing bracket as part of the URL
and tells me that the link is invalid. I asked nestork about that and
that's when he said he uses IE8 and that he thought we all could see his
images directly in his posts.

Senior Member

Yes, up until now, I thought everyone could see the images on whatever software they were using. I'm surprised to find out that they don't.

But, Derby Dad has a valid point. Posting the images right in the post will slow down everyone's computer as each image has to load. By just showing the link to the image, everyone who wants to see that image can, but it won't slow down the computers of people who don't care to see the image.

So, I'll just post the image links from now on.

Socket holders Wes Groleau Home Repair 0 July 14th 13 04:42 AM
double socket change to single socket plus spur for disposal unit misterroy UK diy 22 June 23rd 13 08:09 PM
Valve holders ... Arfa Daily Electronics Repair 5 March 1st 07 10:13 AM
Bulb/lamp holders to convert candle holders to electric? Nick UK diy 1 June 2nd 06 02:11 PM
candle holders [email protected] Woodturning 4 September 3rd 05 11:07 PM