Posted to alt.home.repair

Default $WAG from AC experts for replacing AC

Looking for some general $$$ benchmarks from this highly esteemed and
knowledgeable group here on A.H.R

I'm looking at getting all or part of a split AC system replaced.
Ballpark for this....

Outside condensing\Compressor box 4 ton. Reusing the inside evap/air
handler. Straight AC, not heatpump. $$???

Both outside and inside (whole split system) for this 4 Ton unit. $$??

I was told I could just do the outside with a "dry pack" system so I
could stick with R22. Or could do the whole thing and go to the new
R-whatever it is.

Inside airhandler is about 10 years old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 16:04:12 -0700, Ashton Crusher
wrote:

Looking for some general $$$ benchmarks from this highly esteemed and
knowledgeable group here on A.H.R

I'm looking at getting all or part of a split AC system replaced.
Ballpark for this....

Outside condensing\Compressor box 4 ton. Reusing the inside evap/air
handler. Straight AC, not heatpump. $$???

Both outside and inside (whole split system) for this 4 Ton unit. $$??

I was told I could just do the outside with a "dry pack" system so I
could stick with R22. Or could do the whole thing and go to the new
R-whatever it is.

Inside airhandler is about 10 years old.

Whatever you do, the unit should match for the best efficiency. A new
outside unit should match the inside unit.

A complete new 2 ton system could cost $11,000 - where are you...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 7:04*pm, Ashton Crusher wrote:
Looking for some general $$$ benchmarks from this highly esteemed and
knowledgeable group here on A.H.R

I'm looking at getting all or part of a split AC system replaced.
Ballpark for this....

Outside condensing\Compressor box 4 ton. *Reusing the inside evap/air
handler. *Straight AC, not heatpump. *$$???

Both outside and inside (whole split system) for this 4 Ton unit. $$??

I was told I could just do the outside with a "dry pack" system so I
could stick with R22. *Or could do the whole thing and go to the new
R-whatever it is.

Inside airhandler is about 10 years old.

I would do the entire system and sticking with R22 would be a BIG
MISTAKE. Its getting pricer and may no longer be available at all

new systems will have higher SEER saving you money long term
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message

I was told I could just do the outside with a "dry pack" system so I
could stick with R22. Or could do the whole thing and go to the new
R-whatever it is.

Inside airhandler is about 10 years old.

Whatever you do, the unit should match for the best efficiency. A new
outside unit should match the inside unit.

I agree with replacing the whole unit. Even a new thermostat and pipes.
Everything but the duct work.. I had a 2 ton unit replaced several years
ago and could still get a r-22 system. It was the same price as the newer
types. I opted for it as I had a bottle of r-22. As that refrigant has
been around many years and operates at a lower pressure, my thinking (right
or wrong) was it may last longer.

If everything is replaced, if anything goes wrong or is not right, one maker
can not blame the other.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Looking for some general $$$ benchmarks from this highly esteemed and
knowledgeable group here on A.H.R

I'm looking at getting all or part of a split AC system replaced.
Ballpark for this....

Outside condensing\Compressor box 4 ton. Reusing the inside evap/air
handler. Straight AC, not heatpump. $$???

Both outside and inside (whole split system) for this 4 Ton unit. $$??

I was told I could just do the outside with a "dry pack" system so I
could stick with R22. Or could do the whole thing and go to the new
R-whatever it is.

Inside airhandler is about 10 years old.

Whatever you do, the unit should match for the best efficiency. A new
outside unit should match the inside unit.

A complete new 2 ton system could cost $11,000 - where are you...

The hot part of Arizona.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/17/2013 6:04 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
Looking for some general $$$ benchmarks from this highly esteemed and
knowledgeable group here on A.H.R

I'm looking at getting all or part of a split AC system replaced.
Ballpark for this....

Outside condensing\Compressor box 4 ton. Reusing the inside evap/air
handler. Straight AC, not heatpump. $$???

Both outside and inside (whole split system) for this 4 Ton unit. $$??

I was told I could just do the outside with a "dry pack" system so I
could stick with R22. Or could do the whole thing and go to the new
R-whatever it is.

Inside airhandler is about 10 years old.

Me and my late friend GB replaced a number of R22 condensing units with
new R22 condensing units that had no R22 as they came from the factory.
There are new formulations of R22 replacements that will allow you to
keep your R22 equipment for many years and avoid the huge cost of total
replacement. If it was my system and the indoor equipment and evaporator
are in good shape, I would go back with a condensing unit meant for R22.
Of course I have a tendency to repair old stuff as long as it works. ^_^

http://www.arkema-inc.com/fluorochem...FQho7AodeCYAiw

http://tinyurl.com/k8efxlz

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was told I could just do the outside with a "dry pack" system so I
could stick with R22. Or could do the whole thing and go to the new
R-whatever it is.

There is no good reason to stick with R22. The R-whatever works just
fine in our old system at work and was much cheaper to buy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 7:45*pm, bob haller wrote:
On Jun 17, 7:04*pm, Ashton Crusher wrote:

Looking for some general $$$ benchmarks from this highly esteemed and
knowledgeable group here on A.H.R

I'm looking at getting all or part of a split AC system replaced.
Ballpark for this....

Outside condensing\Compressor box 4 ton. *Reusing the inside evap/air
handler. *Straight AC, not heatpump. *$$???

Both outside and inside (whole split system) for this 4 Ton unit. $$??

I was told I could just do the outside with a "dry pack" system so I
could stick with R22. *Or could do the whole thing and go to the new
R-whatever it is.

Inside airhandler is about 10 years old.

I would do the entire system and sticking with R22 would be a BIG
MISTAKE. Its getting pricer and may no longer be available at all

new systems will have higher SEER saving you money long term- Hide quoted text -

I agree with those suggesting changing the evaporator
too and going with R410A. The cost of R22 has gone
way up, new systems with R410A are more efficient.
And depending on the rest of what's there, maybe
the air handler or furnace, whatever it is, would be
cost effective to replace as well.

If you're just talking outside unit, evaporator, air handler,
the cost of the eqpt is about $2400 - $2800, assuming you
go with a company like RUUD. If you want Carrier, etc
then it's going to be more. Then you have the cost
of the install, so you can probably double that. If you don't
need to replace the air handler, ony the evaporator,
you can knock off some $$, but not a lot. Also check
any utility rebates, tax credits, etc that may be available.

For an idea of eqpt cost, check out ACWholesalers.com
I got my system from them 2 years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 17, 2013 7:04:12 PM UTC-4, Ashton Crusher wrote:
Looking for some general $$$ benchmarks from this highly esteemed and

knowledgeable group here on A.H.R

I'm looking at getting all or part of a split AC system replaced.

Ballpark for this....

Outside condensing\Compressor box 4 ton. Reusing the inside evap/air

handler. Straight AC, not heatpump. $$???

Both outside and inside (whole split system) for this 4 Ton unit. $$??

I was told I could just do the outside with a "dry pack" system so I

could stick with R22. Or could do the whole thing and go to the new

R-whatever it is.

Inside airhandler is about 10 years old.

Just a basic split system outside unit, airhandler, no heat. swag would be $4-6k equipment and install.

Any TV experts here? ~BD~ Electronics Repair 8 November 6th 11 08:21 PM
Any P-38 experts around? steamer Metalworking 11 September 15th 10 12:21 PM
OT - UPS - any experts out there ? Adrian Brentnall UK diy 66 November 25th 09 09:15 AM
Any RF experts about? PCPaul UK diy 10 May 1st 09 06:09 PM
Need an experts help Chewbacca Home Repair 0 August 8th 06 02:35 PM