Posted to alt.home.repair

Default $WAG from AC experts for replacing AC

On 6/17/2013 6:04 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
Looking for some general $$$ benchmarks from this highly esteemed and
knowledgeable group here on A.H.R

I'm looking at getting all or part of a split AC system replaced.
Ballpark for this....

Outside condensing\Compressor box 4 ton. Reusing the inside evap/air
handler. Straight AC, not heatpump. $$???

Both outside and inside (whole split system) for this 4 Ton unit. $$??

I was told I could just do the outside with a "dry pack" system so I
could stick with R22. Or could do the whole thing and go to the new
R-whatever it is.

Inside airhandler is about 10 years old.

Me and my late friend GB replaced a number of R22 condensing units with
new R22 condensing units that had no R22 as they came from the factory.
There are new formulations of R22 replacements that will allow you to
keep your R22 equipment for many years and avoid the huge cost of total
replacement. If it was my system and the indoor equipment and evaporator
are in good shape, I would go back with a condensing unit meant for R22.
Of course I have a tendency to repair old stuff as long as it works. ^_^

http://www.arkema-inc.com/fluorochem...FQho7AodeCYAiw

http://tinyurl.com/k8efxlz

TDD