Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adjusting door bell volume

When my father-in-law comes over, usually to watch a ballgame, he always
has the TV sound down low. He says it bothers his hearing. Since FIL is
always the first one here, and other company come, they ring the door bell.
He's asked us numerous times to turn down the volume on the doorbell.

We've tried to explain it would be better if he adjusted his hearing aids,
but he insists the doorbell is too loud.

Is there a way to adjust the volume on doorbells?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 9:20*am, "Jerry" wrote:
When my father-in-law comes over, usually to watch a ballgame, he always
has the TV sound down low. He says it bothers his hearing. *Since FIL is
always the first one here, and other company come, they ring the door bell.
He's asked us numerous times to turn down the volume on the doorbell.

We've tried to explain it would be better if he adjusted his hearing aids,
but he insists the doorbell is too loud.

Is there a way to adjust the volume on doorbells?

Depends on the model....

Any idea of the mfr & model?
Newer "electronic" ones have all sorts of features including volume
control.
Older ones? not so much.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/31/2013 11:20 AM, Jerry wrote:
When my father-in-law comes over, usually to watch a ballgame, he always
has the TV sound down low. He says it bothers his hearing. Since FIL is
always the first one here, and other company come, they ring the door bell.
He's asked us numerous times to turn down the volume on the doorbell.

We've tried to explain it would be better if he adjusted his hearing aids,
but he insists the doorbell is too loud.

There may not be much he can do, unfortunately. There's a phenomenon
(learned about this w/ my mother and her hearing loss and the good and
bad about hearing aids) that the dynamic range that is audible shrinks
to a very small fraction of normal. So, even though they can't hear low
sound levels, the difference between what is low and what is perceived
as painfully load is very small.

If that is the (or a contributing factor to the) problem , it is a
physical problem and hearing aids can't help cure it. You might suggest
another visit to the audiologist, though to see.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"dpb" wrote in message ...
[...]

Possibly moving the doorbell's location further away from where he sits, or
move him further away from the doorbell. Mechanical bells, chimes and such
do not have volume controls and are made to be loud enough to be heard
throughout the house. Newer electronic equipment often have volume controls,
and very artificial sound.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 May 2013 12:20:11 -0400, "Jerry" wrote:
Is there a way to adjust the volume on doorbells?

When FIL arrives, tape a note over the doorbell button asking people
to knock instead.

Edward

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2013 10:20 AM, Jerry wrote:
When my father-in-law comes over, usually to watch a ballgame, he always
has the TV sound down low. He says it bothers his hearing. Since FIL is
always the first one here, and other company come, they ring the door bell.
He's asked us numerous times to turn down the volume on the doorbell.

We've tried to explain it would be better if he adjusted his hearing aids,
but he insists the doorbell is too loud.

Is there a way to adjust the volume on doorbells?

Bending the clapper probably would work, but it is a trial-and-error
process.

Probably easier is to stuff something like paper towel between the bell
and wall. Foam packaging material would mute it more. The more material
and the harder the material the softer the bell will be.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2013 3:13 PM, bud-- wrote:
On 5/31/2013 10:20 AM, Jerry wrote:
When my father-in-law comes over, usually to watch a ballgame, he always
has the TV sound down low. He says it bothers his hearing. Since FIL is
always the first one here, and other company come, they ring the door
bell.
He's asked us numerous times to turn down the volume on the doorbell.

We've tried to explain it would be better if he adjusted his hearing
aids,
but he insists the doorbell is too loud.

Is there a way to adjust the volume on doorbells?

Bending the clapper probably would work, but it is a trial-and-error
process.

Probably easier is to stuff something like paper towel between the bell
and wall. Foam packaging material would mute it more. The more material
and the harder the material the softer the bell will be.

Do you really think that it has a bell and clapper in it? If it actually
does it is definitely an old one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 3:36*pm, IGot2P wrote:
On 5/31/2013 3:13 PM, bud-- wrote:

[...]

does it is definitely an old one.- Hide quoted text -

You can stilll buy them at hardware stores. If a mechanical bell, jus
tape some duct tape or masking tape to the actual bell, it will cut
down the higher frequncies shich are normally the ones most boiosted
by hearing aids. If it is mechanical, a plunger hittring some rods,
do the same thing to the rods. If it is electronic with a "sounder",
just tape over the slots or spots where the sound comes out and you
can almost completely kill the volume. If you get you FIL involved in
testing the new volumes, and he gets it set so that he is happy, then
he can't complain in the future. Again, this isn't rocket sciemce,
just human factors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 May 2013 13:56:14 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:
If you get you FIL involved in
testing the new volumes, and he gets it set so that he is happy, then
he can't complain in the future.

Dream on. ;-)

Edward
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 May 2013 12:20:11 -0400, "Jerry" wrote:

When my father-in-law comes over, usually to watch a ballgame, he always
has the TV sound down low. He says it bothers his hearing. Since FIL is
always the first one here, and other company come, they ring the door bell.
He's asked us numerous times to turn down the volume on the doorbell.

We've tried to explain it would be better if he adjusted his hearing aids,
but he insists the doorbell is too loud.

Is there a way to adjust the volume on doorbells?

It definitely depends on the kind of doorbell. Which is it,
electronic, metal bell with clapper, door chime (two xylophone bars
with a striker inside)?

I actually had this problem. When I got the house, it had one chime
in the front hall. I spend all my time in the workshop in the baement
and couldnt' hear the chime. So next to the doorbell transformer, I
connect a bell with a clapper that I'd had for 20 years. Worked
fine.

Then I saw a nicer door chime for sale 66% off. Bought that and put
it in the front hall, moved the old one to the basement, put the
clapper one back in the storage box.

Now neither chime worked well. I had to get a bigger doorbell
transformer. Everything was fine I thought, until years later.

3 or 4 years later, a neighbor said that every time the mailman or UPS
man rang my doorbell when I was out, the burglar alarm went off!!! It
reset before I got home, and I wasn't subscribed to any alarm service
so no one had told me before (Most of my neighbors are also at work
when the mailman comes)

The glass and wood breakage detectors would set off the alarm. I have
two of them, one facing the front door and front sliding glass door,
and one facing the back sliding glass door.

I was unwilling to make them less sensitive so I had to make the door
chime quieter. (This would probably work for a bell too, although
for a bell, just put tape over the bell. ).

You don't need one, but I have a resistor substitution box, that
simulates any resistor from 0.01 ohms to 100 million ohms, maybe less
and more. I connected it between the transformer and the upstairs
chime and found a value that didnt' set off the alarm. Then I lowered
it to almost the minimum value (maxiimum sound) that didn't set off
the alarm. Then I used a fixed resistor of the same value in place of
the resistor box.

But you don't need a box. Cut some resistors out of a scrap radio or
tv or something and try each one (use wires with alligator clips at
each end, 10 for $4.50 at radio shack. Thousands of uses, If you
string 3 in a row, you won't need to stand on anything after you hook
one end of each string to the doorbell..) and use the one that sounds
about right. Maybe your fil will help you choose. You don't have to
solder. Just leave it attached by alligator wires until he goes home.
Then you can screw the wire back to the door bell or chime or you can
just let the two loose alligator clips bite each other. (I had an open
primary ignition wire in a car once and used a 2-foot wire with
alligator clips under the hood for 3 years and 30,000 miles, until the
car failed for other reasons. Right now my bedroom TV speaker is
connected for the last 5 months with alligator clips.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 May 2013 14:13:22 -0600, bud--
wrote:

On 5/31/2013 10:20 AM, Jerry wrote:
When my father-in-law comes over, usually to watch a ballgame, he always
has the TV sound down low. He says it bothers his hearing. Since FIL is
always the first one here, and other company come, they ring the door bell.
He's asked us numerous times to turn down the volume on the doorbell.

We've tried to explain it would be better if he adjusted his hearing aids,
but he insists the doorbell is too loud.

Is there a way to adjust the volume on doorbells?

Bending the clapper probably would work, but it is a trial-and-error
process.

Probably easier is to stuff something like paper towel between the bell
and wall. Foam packaging material would mute it more. The more material
and the harder the material the softer the bell will be.

Most door"bels" today have no clapper. They are a solenoid operated
"gong" - and they are just about as loud off the wall as on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jerry wrote, On 5/31/2013 12:20 PM:
When my father-in-law comes over, usually to watch a ballgame, he always
has the TV sound down low. He says it bothers his hearing. Since FIL is
always the first one here, and other company come, they ring the door bell.
He's asked us numerous times to turn down the volume on the doorbell.

We've tried to explain it would be better if he adjusted his hearing aids,
but he insists the doorbell is too loud.

Is there a way to adjust the volume on doorbells?

If electronic, maybe, check manual or on line.

If mechanical, about all you can do is cut down the volume by building a
box over it or reducing the resonance by attaching something to the bell
part. Or both.

Ours has a ply box over it so it could be wall papered; it turned an in
your face DING DONG into a wimpy ding dong.

--
dadiOH
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 6:47*am, dadiOH wrote:
[...]

there are strobe light doorbell flashers for the hard of hearing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/31/2013 09:31 AM, DD_BobK wrote:

Older ones? not so much.

Sure, you just damper the chime.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 May 2013 12:20:31 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/31/2013 11:20 AM, Jerry wrote:
When my father-in-law comes over, usually to watch a ballgame, he always
has the TV sound down low. He says it bothers his hearing. Since FIL is
always the first one here, and other company come, they ring the door bell.
He's asked us numerous times to turn down the volume on the doorbell.

We've tried to explain it would be better if he adjusted his hearing aids,
but he insists the doorbell is too loud.

After writing below, I reread this. His hearing aids are adjusted for
most of the day. He doesn't know when the dooorbell will ring. If he
sets his aids down low just in case, he won't be able to hear you all
or the tv.

Like the other guy said, a sign that says to knock. A different
frequency that might not bother him. Or he'll hear the knocking and
can answer the door himself.

There may not be much he can do, unfortunately. There's a phenomenon
(learned about this w/ my mother and her hearing loss and the good and
bad about hearing aids) that the dynamic range that is audible shrinks
to a very small fraction of normal. So, even though they can't hear low
sound levels, the difference between what is low and what is perceived
as painfully load is very small.

If that is the (or a contributing factor to the) problem , it is a
physical problem and hearing aids can't help cure it. You might suggest
another visit to the audiologist, though to see.

Not a good tactical move. "All I asked is that he tone down the damn
doorbell and now he wants me to spend time and money to see an
audiologist. Medicare doesn't pay for a second visit in a year for no
new reason." (I don't know what Medicare pays for, but it still
throws the burden back on the FIL.)

Senior Member

+1 for the "Please Knock" sign.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 1, 2013 5:30:09 AM UTC-7, bob haller wrote:
On Jun 1, 6:47*am, dadiOH wrote:

[...]

THAT'S what I want for my office in the back of the house where I can't hear the doorbell, esp. if my office door is closed, which it often has to be.

Can these be installed in/with an old-fashioned doorbell that rings over the kitchen door?

If so, any idea of suppliers?

TIA

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 2, 2013 10:02:45 AM UTC-7, micky wrote:
[...]

Can FIL watch the ball game with headphones? That way he can control his volume and won't be disturbed by the doorbell. It might take away from sociability a little, but maybe that's the price you have to pay.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Jerry, Vinoth wrote:
Yes....we will....introduce this system shortly to the market.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...me-750616-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to IGot2P, NrsKris10 wrote:
They're out there. We have one on a few rentals.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...me-750616-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Subject: Adjusting door bell volume
From: NrsKris10 m
Sender: NrsKris10 m
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to EXT, sagebrush6 wrote:
Nobody is going to move a doorbell and all the associated wiring for anybody.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...me-750616-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/11/2017 7:14 PM, sagebrush6 wrote:
replying to EXT, sagebrush6 wrote:
Nobody is going to move a doorbell and all the associated wiring for
anybody.

Just to follow up, when this was first suggested I contacted the
original poster. I spent four days of my vacation at the guys house and
moved the doorbell and completely rewired it. All done at no charge.

Since that initial contact, every year on my vacation instead of sitting
as some resort getting drunk I travel the country relocating doorbells
for seniors. I do thi as no charge for the recipients but I do accept
donations for gas money and lodging. If you want to donate (cash only)
please contact me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 20:57:16 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/11/2017 7:14 PM, sagebrush6 wrote:
replying to EXT, sagebrush6 wrote:
Nobody is going to move a doorbell and all the associated wiring for
anybody.

Just to follow up, when this was first suggested I contacted the
original poster. I spent four days of my vacation at the guys house and
moved the doorbell and completely rewired it. All done at no charge.

Since that initial contact, every year on my vacation instead of sitting
as some resort getting drunk I travel the country relocating doorbells
for seniors. I do thi as no charge for the recipients but I do accept
donations for gas money and lodging. If you want to donate (cash only)
please contact me.

You got a thing about Ding-A-Lings, right?? Or did you use a
baseball bat to move them?

door bell - ot Frank[_13_] Home Repair 3 August 26th 11 08:19 AM
110 to door bell? Sonny[_3_] Home Repair 22 September 27th 10 06:01 PM
door bell Janice UK diy 14 April 9th 09 09:20 PM
Door bell Terry Home Repair 10 August 23rd 07 04:06 PM
Adjusting DG Door Sean Delere UK diy 0 October 26th 03 03:52 PM