Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Adjusting door bell volume

On 5/31/2013 10:20 AM, Jerry wrote:
When my father-in-law comes over, usually to watch a ballgame, he always
has the TV sound down low. He says it bothers his hearing. Since FIL is
always the first one here, and other company come, they ring the door bell.
He's asked us numerous times to turn down the volume on the doorbell.

We've tried to explain it would be better if he adjusted his hearing aids,
but he insists the doorbell is too loud.

Is there a way to adjust the volume on doorbells?

Bending the clapper probably would work, but it is a trial-and-error
process.

Probably easier is to stuff something like paper towel between the bell
and wall. Foam packaging material would mute it more. The more material
and the harder the material the softer the bell will be.