Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Cell problem

First of all, forgive me if I've asked this here before. My memory does
not work as well as it used to.

I have a non-clamshell (bad choice) cell and it is giving me an annoying
problem. It normally is turned off - used for rare outgoing calls only. I
carry it in a belt 'holster'. When I lean over far enough, it sometimes
turns on, with an annoying noise, and sometimes 'butt dials'. I tried
putting stiff heavy cardboard on both sides, No help.

I could leave it on all the time I'm up and around with the keyboard
locked but I'd prefer not to have to remember to charge it every day.

I could turn off the sound when it turns on but I don't want it to turn
on and dial stuff or expensively go on the web without me knowing.

Suggestions appreciated. Those here are very ingenious and I have high
hopes.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/13 10:29 AM, KenK wrote:
First of all, forgive me if I've asked this here before. My memory does
not work as well as it used to.

I have a non-clamshell (bad choice) cell and it is giving me an annoying
problem. It normally is turned off - used for rare outgoing calls only. I
carry it in a belt 'holster'. When I lean over far enough, it sometimes
turns on, with an annoying noise, and sometimes 'butt dials'. I tried
putting stiff heavy cardboard on both sides, No help.

Some cut. I bought a couple clamshell phones on Ebay for under
$30 if memory serves. I have no idea about cell company policies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2013 8:29 AM, KenK wrote:
First of all, forgive me if I've asked this here before. My memory does
not work as well as it used to.

I have a non-clamshell (bad choice) cell and it is giving me an annoying
problem. It normally is turned off - used for rare outgoing calls only. I
carry it in a belt 'holster'. When I lean over far enough, it sometimes
turns on, with an annoying noise, and sometimes 'butt dials'. I tried
putting stiff heavy cardboard on both sides, No help.

I could leave it on all the time I'm up and around with the keyboard
locked but I'd prefer not to have to remember to charge it every day.

I could turn off the sound when it turns on but I don't want it to turn
on and dial stuff or expensively go on the web without me knowing.

Suggestions appreciated. Those here are very ingenious and I have high
hopes.

TIA

You'd probably get better results if you disclosed the make/model
and asked the question in a cellphone venue.
My Palm Treo 850 has a menu option that requires me to push another
key to complete the turnon process. Otherwise, it goes back off.
Assume you've examined those options.

If you're not using it, why carry it on your person?
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote in :

On 5/26/2013 8:29 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

It's an LG 500G.

and asked the question in a cellphone venue.

Good idea trying a cell newsgroup. I'll see if I can find one.

My Palm Treo 850 has a menu option that requires me to push another
key to complete the turnon process. Otherwise, it goes back off.
Assume you've examined those options.

I didn't see that option. I'll look again later.

If you're not using it, why carry it on your person?

In case I need to make a call when I'm away from home, Also in case of an
emergency - like a medical problem I can call 911. Just in case. Makes me
feel better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 May 2013 15:29:32 GMT, KenK wrote:

First of all, forgive me if I've asked this here before. My memory does
not work as well as it used to.

I have a non-clamshell (bad choice) cell and it is giving me an annoying
problem. It normally is turned off - used for rare outgoing calls only. I
carry it in a belt 'holster'. When I lean over far enough, it sometimes
turns on, with an annoying noise, and sometimes 'butt dials'. I tried
putting stiff heavy cardboard on both sides, No help.

I could leave it on all the time I'm up and around with the keyboard
locked but I'd prefer not to have to remember to charge it every day.

I could turn off the sound when it turns on but I don't want it to turn
on and dial stuff or expensively go on the web without me knowing.

Suggestions appreciated. Those here are very ingenious and I have high
hopes.

TIA

Depends on the phone. My BlackBerry has a magnetic switch in it that
turns off the keyboard and a few other features when a magnet gets
close to it - and the holster has a magnet in the right place. The
phone runs about 4 days on a charge if it is not used - and that's
with a 3 year old battery.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Carry phone with battery removed. Insert battery for calls.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"KenK" wrote in message ...
First of all, forgive me if I've asked this here before. My memory does
not work as well as it used to.

I have a non-clamshell (bad choice) cell and it is giving me an annoying
problem. It normally is turned off - used for rare outgoing calls only. I
carry it in a belt 'holster'. When I lean over far enough, it sometimes
turns on, with an annoying noise, and sometimes 'butt dials'. I tried
putting stiff heavy cardboard on both sides, No help.

I could leave it on all the time I'm up and around with the keyboard
locked but I'd prefer not to have to remember to charge it every day.

I could turn off the sound when it turns on but I don't want it to turn
on and dial stuff or expensively go on the web without me knowing.

Suggestions appreciated. Those here are very ingenious and I have high
hopes.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
[...]

Put the 'phone in a hard case. One that will not pass butt-calls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

pilgrim wrote in :

On 26 May 2013 16:41:53 GMT, KenK wrote:

LG 500G.

You need to lock your keyboard. I googled for: lg500g key lock
and I found this:

HOW TO KEYLOCK THE LG500G

Exit all menus back to the main screensaver. Locate the lower left key
with the padlock on it. PRESS and HOLD. The screen will display the
message that the keys are locked.

TO UNLOCK: press any key to activate the screen. Press the upper left
button with UNLOCK over it - a screen pops up telling you to press the
upper right button with YES over it. Press , ONCE , because it becomes
the dreaded BROWSE button on unlock.

I don't whether or not this will work on your 'phone, but it might be
worth a try.

Hope this helps,

pilgrim

Thanks, but this works only when the phone is on. I need a mechanical
lock or key protection when the phone is off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Clever idea! Never occured to me. Unfortunately - always an
'unfortunately', isn't there? - the cell case is extremely difficult to
open. I dread changing batteries, much less doing so every time I wish to
use it.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Carry phone with battery removed. Insert battery for calls.
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
.
"KenK" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 27 May 2013 16:51:04 GMT, KenK wrote:

Put the 'phone in a hard case. One that will not pass butt-calls.

That had occured to me, but I searched the local applicable stores
without finding one that fit. I guess I'll have to search online and pay
the dreaded shipping costs. Thanks for the reminder.

There are cell phone neck lanyards, maybe wrist straps, etc.

My bride has a small lanyard she can attach the phone to her belt.

Butt Calling:

This happened recently. It was a 911 call to police. Cops listened as
the crooks were breaking into a car, stealing contents and talking
****.

Po-Po rolled up on them and put silver jewelry on 'em.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hard shell eye glass case?
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"KenK" wrote in message ...

Put the 'phone in a hard case. One that will not pass butt-calls.

That had occured to me, but I searched the local applicable stores
without finding one that fit. I guess I'll have to search online and pay
the dreaded shipping costs. Thanks for the reminder.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wouldn't one be too small for a 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 1/2" cell?

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Hard shell eye glass case?
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
.
"KenK" wrote in message

Put the 'phone in a hard case. One that will not pass butt-calls.

That had occured to me, but I searched the local applicable stores
without finding one that fit. I guess I'll have to search online and
pay the dreaded shipping costs. Thanks for the reminder.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't know. I never tried.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"KenK" wrote in message ...
Wouldn't one be too small for a 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 1/2" cell?

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Hard shell eye glass case?
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/27/2013 12:51 PM, KenK wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in news:h4-
:

KenK wrote:
[...]

Probably a better selection online anyhow. (I know there is a much
larger selection of cases online than I can find in the local phone
store for my model). Try Amazon since a lot of times you can throw
something else into the order to hit the $25 limit and get free
shipping. Or eBay because that often has free shipping. In some cases
for both sites, the cost is more to cover the "free" shipping but I've
also found items where it's less and still free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 11:29*am, KenK wrote:

I could turn off the sound when it turns on but I don't want it to turn
on and dial stuff or expensively go on the web without me knowing.

Call your provider and have the web blocked. That will solve that
piece.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"KenK" wrote in message

Put the 'phone in a hard case. One that will not pass butt-calls.

That had occured to me, but I searched the local applicable stores
without finding one that fit. I guess I'll have to search online and
pay the dreaded shipping costs. Thanks for the reminder.

The OP didn't specify what cell phone he had, but this might help.
http://www.tmart.com/Cell-Phone-Case...ial--Hardware/

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY