Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cell phone problem

This may not be the best place to ask this question because all you
old fogies were probably in bed at midnight, :-).... but here
goes.......

Last night at approx. midnight ( I am not sure of the exact time
altho
I did receive a text at 11:32 Pm ), both my wifes phone and my phone
wouldn't receive or transmit any calls. We both are on Sprint. This
lasted until after 2 am. Then both phones started opertaing
correctly.
Since we were at a party, I had a couple different people try to call
me. They got to my voicemail, but our phones wouldn't ring. They had
different carriers.

Anybody else stay up late enough to see if this happened to their
phones?

Hank ~~~~ thinking Sprint had a problem

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hank wrote:

This may not be the best place to ask this question because all you
old fogies were probably in bed at midnight, :-).... but here
goes.......

Hell, youngster--- I was asleep for an hour by midnight. And what's
a cell phone? You in prison or somethin'?

Last night at approx. midnight ( I am not sure of the exact time
altho
I did receive a text at 11:32 Pm ), both my wifes phone and my phone
wouldn't receive or transmit any calls. We both are on Sprint. This
lasted until after 2 am. Then both phones started opertaing
correctly.

Did you try clickin' the receiver handle and crankin' at the same
time. Sometimes the operator is jes sleepin and you gotta wake her
up.
-snip-

Hank ~~~~ thinking Sprint had a problem

Seems so-

LMGTFY-
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sprint+new+years+eve+trouble

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2011 9:28 AM, Hank wrote:
This may not be the best place to ask this question because all you
old fogies were probably in bed at midnight, :-).... but here
goes.......

Last night at approx. midnight ( I am not sure of the exact time
altho
I did receive a text at 11:32 Pm ), both my wifes phone and my phone
wouldn't receive or transmit any calls. We both are on Sprint. This
lasted until after 2 am. Then both phones started opertaing
correctly.
Since we were at a party, I had a couple different people try to call
me. They got to my voicemail, but our phones wouldn't ring. They had
different carriers.

Anybody else stay up late enough to see if this happened to their
phones?

Hank~~~~ thinking Sprint had a problem

Our phones are on VZW so no idea what might have been happening on
Sprint. What you described could be something as simple as problems at
the local cell or nationwide.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 1, 8:28*am, Hank wrote:
This may not be the best place to ask this question because all you
old fogies were probably in bed at midnight, :-).... but here
goes.......

Last night at approx. midnight ( I am not sure of the exact time
altho
I did receive a text at 11:32 Pm ), both my wifes phone and my phone
wouldn't receive or transmit any calls. We both are on Sprint. This
lasted until after 2 am. Then both phones started opertaing
correctly.
Since we were at a party, I had a couple different people try to call
me. They got to my voicemail, but our phones wouldn't ring. They had
different carriers.

Anybody else stay up late enough to see if this happened to their
phones?

Hank ~~~~ thinking Sprint had a problem

Do your wifes know about each other? I think this is illegal in all
the States!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Hank" wrote in message
This may not be the best place to ask this question because all you
old fogies were probably in bed at midnight, :-).... but here
goes.......

Last night at approx. midnight ( I am not sure of the exact time
altho
I did receive a text at 11:32 Pm ), both my wifes phone and my phone
wouldn't receive or transmit any calls. We both are on Sprint. This
lasted until after 2 am. Then both phones started opertaing
correctly.
Since we were at a party, I had a couple different people try to call
me. They got to my voicemail, but our phones wouldn't ring. They had
different carriers.

Anybody else stay up late enough to see if this happened to their
phones?

Hank ~~~~ thinking Sprint had a problem

Not Hank -------------- thinking you're correct.

My Verizon network worked fine. I'm guessing the Sprint network couldn't
handle the abundant texting and calls of Happy New Year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Hank" wrote in message
This may not be the best place to ask this question because all you
old fogies were probably in bed at midnight, :-).... but here
goes.......

Last night at approx. midnight ( I am not sure of the exact time
altho
I did receive a text at 11:32 Pm ), both my wifes phone and my phone
wouldn't receive or transmit any calls. We both are on Sprint. This
lasted until after 2 am. Then both phones started opertaing
correctly.
Since we were at a party, I had a couple different people try to call
me. They got to my voicemail, but our phones wouldn't ring. They had
different carriers.

Anybody else stay up late enough to see if this happened to their
phones?

Hank ~~~~ thinking Sprint had a problem

Think, Hank. What was happening last night that might have made the phone
lines busy?

Think.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 1, 10:38*am, Bob Villa wrote:
Hank ~~~~ thinking Sprint had a problem

Do your wifes know about each other? *I think this is illegal in all
the States!-

Shhhhhhhhh.........don't tell them. :-)

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 1, 11:16*am, "Steve B" wrote:

Hank ~~~~ thinking Sprint had a problem

Think, Hank. *What was happening last night that might have made the phone
lines busy?

Think.

Steve-

I'm trying but I don't remember much. Only that the phones didn't
work. :-)

Hank ~~~ feeling like a high school girl on Rufen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2011 8:28 AM, Hank wrote:
This may not be the best place to ask this question because all you
old fogies were probably in bed at midnight, :-).... but here
goes.......

Last night at approx. midnight ( I am not sure of the exact time
altho
I did receive a text at 11:32 Pm ), both my wifes phone and my phone
wouldn't receive or transmit any calls. We both are on Sprint. This
lasted until after 2 am. Then both phones started opertaing
correctly.
Since we were at a party, I had a couple different people try to call
me. They got to my voicemail, but our phones wouldn't ring. They had
different carriers.

Anybody else stay up late enough to see if this happened to their
phones?

Hank~~~~ thinking Sprint had a problem

a typical sprint bull****. a few people called to wish happy new years
and the system overloaded. Nothing new.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 07:38:39 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa
wrote:

On Jan 1, 8:28*am, Hank wrote:
[...]

I looked back to see if it was Stormy with the problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

a typical overloaded system response, common around here during
weather and traffic emergencies.

the system just stalls.

imagine what will happen the next time terrorists get us bad like 9 11:
(
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 10:32:44 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

a typical overloaded system response, common around here during
weather and traffic emergencies.

the system just stalls.

imagine what will happen the next time terrorists get us bad like 9 11:
(

It already happened during 9/11, and the power outages in the NE.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

a typical overloaded system response, common around here during
weather and traffic emergencies.

the system just stalls.

imagine what will happen the next time terrorists get us bad like 9 11:
(

It already happened during 9/11, and the power outages in the NE.

There were power outages in the NE on 9/11?

Seperate issues.

I do know a lot of TV stations went off the air when the second tower
collapsed since a lot of their antennas were on the roof.
I was watching CNN when it fell and CNN went off the air, but other
stations whose antennas were not on the tower still were broadcasting..

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

wrote:

a typical overloaded system response, common around here during
weather and traffic emergencies.

the system just stalls.

imagine what will happen the next time terrorists get us bad like 9 11:
(

It already happened during 9/11, and the power outages in the NE.

There were power outages in the NE on 9/11?

Seperate issues. *

I do know a lot of TV stations went off the air when the second tower
collapsed since a lot of their antennas were on the roof.
I was watching CNN when it fell and CNN went off the air, but other
stations whose antennas were not on the tower still were broadcasting..

==
Look up the word separate....it most likely means something else than
seperate does.

==

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

a typical overloaded system response, common around here during
weather and traffic emergencies.

the system just stalls.

imagine what will happen the next time terrorists get us bad like 9 11:
(

It already happened during 9/11, and the power outages in the NE.

There were power outages in the NE on 9/11?
I do know a lot of TV stations went off the air when the second tower
collapsed since a lot of their antennas were on the roof.
I was watching CNN when it fell and CNN went off the air, but other
stations whose antennas were not on the tower still were broadcasting..

No, the cell system was on its knees from overload. Happens whenever
there is a big storm or earthquake, too. Sometimes even happens right as
some damnfool sports championship is finishing. Some PDs are moving some
of their comms to cell networks- I hope they keep their real radios,
too. (Not to mention the related issue of radio links between relay
towers being via internet, in some cases, now.)

It'd work a lot better if all the carriers shared the towers and pipes
between them. Without the need for so much duplicative hardware of
non-interoperable standards, they could afford to build in a lot more
capacity/redundancy. US is really behind how the rest of the world does
cell service, methinks.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The cell companies move portable cell equipment into stadiums to (try to)
handle the overflow. Some of it makes a hash of other comms when they fire it
up.

It'd work a lot better if all the carriers shared the towers and pipes
between them. Without the need for so much duplicative hardware of
non-interoperable standards, they could afford to build in a lot more
capacity/redundancy. US is really behind how the rest of the world does
cell service, methinks.

Largely illegal. If there was only one network, where is the competition to
make it better? ...or even usable?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The same way copper landlines worked for 100 years. Competing phone
companies (yeah, there were some even before the Big Breakup), but a
common set of technical standards, and they were all interconnected. All
the carriers could sell their tower infrastructure to a holding company
that would act as a common carrier, and sell capacity to all comers.
Like roaming, but invisible to the end user. Sorta like the fiber and
copper long-haul lines are done now. You book the circuit through one
contracting point, and they rent the capacity wherever needed to get
from point A to point B. For all intents there is one network, even
though several dozen companies own the physical infrastructure. But it
is all COMPATIBLE. Company X won't string fiber along a route that they
know Company Y has excess capacity that they can rent cheaper than
stringing their own.

As to the 'illegal' part- basic utilities are almost always monopolies,
or close to it.

--
aem sends...

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

NO THANKS! Phone calls were ridiculously expensive before the breakup.

Competing phone
companies (yeah, there were some even before the Big Breakup), but a
common set of technical standards, and they were all interconnected. All
the carriers could sell their tower infrastructure to a holding company
that would act as a common carrier, and sell capacity to all comers.

....and there would be no incentive to improve the system.

Like roaming, but invisible to the end user. Sorta like the fiber and
copper long-haul lines are done now. You book the circuit through one
contracting point, and they rent the capacity wherever needed to get
from point A to point B. For all intents there is one network, even
though several dozen companies own the physical infrastructure. But it
is all COMPATIBLE. Company X won't string fiber along a route that they
know Company Y has excess capacity that they can rent cheaper than
stringing their own.

The only thing less efficient than the free market is a less free market.

As to the 'illegal' part- basic utilities are almost always monopolies,
or close to it.

They are not monopolies, thank &deity. What you suggest is either collusion
(illegal) or a government takeover (far worse), Commisar AEM.

DO YOU WANT TO BUY A CELL PHONE? soniyaa 1111 UK diy 0 February 18th 10 12:42 PM
Cell phone 911 ---MIKE--- Home Repair 1 December 9th 07 08:45 PM
Can I switch the sim in my damaged Cell Phone to a new Cell Phone? [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 September 30th 06 12:58 AM
O.T. Cell Phone E. Walter Le Roy Metalworking 14 May 8th 06 04:23 PM
[Help] Display problem on cell phone Fjordur Electronics Repair 9 January 12th 06 06:42 PM