Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sears Craftsman "Lifetime Guarantee" ?

Thought I'd ask here first.

Have a Sears Craftsman Sabre Saw.

Must be at least 45 years old. No longer works (well).
Bought it when I was about 30 yrs of age. Sure does seem like eons ago !

Do they still have or honor that "Lifetime Guarantee" they had, if I
remember right, many years ago for their power tools like this ?

Do they still have a guarantee like this ?

If so, and I bring it back, what happens?
Of course, there is no longer a sales receipt available.

They just give me a new one that looks a bit like the old, or require a
45 yr old sales receipt still, or... ?

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
Thought I'd ask here first.

Have a Sears Craftsman Sabre Saw.

Must be at least 45 years old. No longer works (well).
Bought it when I was about 30 yrs of age. Sure does seem like eons
ago !
Do they still have or honor that "Lifetime Guarantee" they had, if I
remember right, many years ago for their power tools like this ?

Do they still have a guarantee like this ?

If so, and I bring it back, what happens?
Of course, there is no longer a sales receipt available.

They just give me a new one that looks a bit like the old, or require
a 45 yr old sales receipt still, or... ?

I thought their lifetime guarantee was only for hand tools. When I last used it,
they just handed me a replacement, no questions asked.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/28/2013 9:26 AM, Bob wrote:
Thought I'd ask here first.

Have a Sears Craftsman Sabre Saw.

Do they still have or honor that "Lifetime Guarantee" they had, if I
remember right, many years ago for their power tools like this ?

I don't recall details on the Lifetime on power tools any longer...it
has applied to only handtools, etc., for at least 35-40 yrs or so if not
even earlier but my recollections or details are hazy at best w/o
looking it up, and I'm sure your geogle works as well as mine...

Do they still have a guarantee like this ?

Yes, but only on the hand tools...

If so, and I bring it back, what happens?
Of course, there is no longer a sales receipt available.

They just give me a new one that looks a bit like the old, or require a
45 yr old sales receipt still, or... ?

If covered, you get a current version of the closest to the same thing
they've got and leave the dead one with them. Altho at a local small
catalog store here I have talked them into repair kits for things like
ratchets instead because the old handle is better-finished than the
replacement new ones are so the feel is better--plus I like to keep the
"patina" -- it's nice to have stuff around that have had for such long
time. There are tools here on the farm that date back to my
grandfather's first years here 100 yr ago...the recollection of using
them w/ him as a young lad make them priceless.

Worst you can have happen is they say it isn't covered.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 10:26:43 -0400, Bob wrote:

Thought I'd ask here first.

Have a Sears Craftsman Sabre Saw.

Must be at least 45 years old. No longer works (well).
Bought it when I was about 30 yrs of age. Sure does seem like eons ago !

Do they still have or honor that "Lifetime Guarantee" they had, if I
remember right, many years ago for their power tools like this ?

Did Sears ever have a "lifetime guarantee" on their power tools?

Do they still have a guarantee like this ?

Not on power tools. They didn't forty years ago, either.

If so, and I bring it back, what happens?
Of course, there is no longer a sales receipt available.

They laugh at you.

They just give me a new one that looks a bit like the old, or require a
45 yr old sales receipt still, or... ?

Their hand tools don't but IME they give you a junk non-Craftsman tool
to replace it and then the warranty is done. I've been done with
Crapsman tool for ages (though I did buy their lawn tractor because it
was the best tractor for, by far, the least money). There isn't a
Sears within easy driving range so that sorta caps it, for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Bob:
Have a Sears Craftsman Sabre Saw.

Do they still have or honor that "Lifetime Guarantee" they had,

A few years back, I found myself in a similar situation with a Craftsman
tap-and-die set. The taps and dies were ok, but the box's plastic
disintegrated.

NB: that, with a couple hundred small pieces, the organizing role of the
box is pretty important.

But Sears' response was "Sorry... we guarantee the tools, not the boxes
they come in".

Oh well....
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote in :

Thought I'd ask here first.

Have a Sears Craftsman Sabre Saw.

Must be at least 45 years old. No longer works (well).
Bought it when I was about 30 yrs of age. Sure does seem like eons ago !

Do they still have or honor that "Lifetime Guarantee" they had, if I
remember right, many years ago for their power tools like this ?

The lifetime guarantee *never* applied to power tools, only to hand tools.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
Bob wrote:
Thought I'd ask here first.

Have a Sears Craftsman Sabre Saw.

Must be at least 45 years old. No longer works (well).
Bought it when I was about 30 yrs of age. Sure does seem like eons
ago !
Do they still have or honor that "Lifetime Guarantee" they had, if I
remember right, many years ago for their power tools like this ?

Do they still have a guarantee like this ?

If so, and I bring it back, what happens?
Of course, there is no longer a sales receipt available.

They just give me a new one that looks a bit like the old, or require
a 45 yr old sales receipt still, or... ?

I thought their lifetime guarantee was only for hand tools. When I last used it,
they just handed me a replacement, no questions asked.

Hi,
When my ratchet wrench broke, they gave me rebuid kit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04-28-2013 10:26, Bob wrote:
If so, and I bring it back, what happens?

Unless the nearest Sears is a hundred miles away, you'll get a faster
answer there than on Usenet.

And no matter what the distance, it will be a more reliable answer.

--
Wes Groleau

A pessimist says the glass is half empty.
An optimist says the glass is half full.
An engineer says somebody made the glass
twice as big as it needed to be.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:

Thought I'd ask here first.

Have a Sears Craftsman Sabre Saw.

Must be at least 45 years old. No longer works (well).
Bought it when I was about 30 yrs of age. Sure does seem like eons ago !

Do they still have or honor that "Lifetime Guarantee" they had, if I
remember right, many years ago for their power tools like this ?

Do they still have a guarantee like this ?

If so, and I bring it back, what happens?
Of course, there is no longer a sales receipt available.

They just give me a new one that looks a bit like the old, or require a
45 yr old sales receipt still, or... ?

Thanks,
Bob

Other folks covered the warranty angle, and I also don't recall it
applying to any power tools.

Beyond that, what is wrong with the saw? I would suspect by now the
motor brushes probably need replacing and worn out brushes can certainly
cause "doesn't work well" issues. Brushes are cheap and easy to replace.
Probably that and a good cleaning and lubrication will have it running
well again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 12:59:30 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Bob F wrote:
Bob wrote:
Thought I'd ask here first.

Have a Sears Craftsman Sabre Saw.

Must be at least 45 years old. No longer works (well).
Bought it when I was about 30 yrs of age. Sure does seem like eons
ago !
Do they still have or honor that "Lifetime Guarantee" they had, if I
remember right, many years ago for their power tools like this ?

Do they still have a guarantee like this ?

If so, and I bring it back, what happens?
Of course, there is no longer a sales receipt available.

They just give me a new one that looks a bit like the old, or require
a 45 yr old sales receipt still, or... ?

I thought their lifetime guarantee was only for hand tools. When I last used it,
they just handed me a replacement, no questions asked.

Hi,
When my ratchet wrench broke, they gave me rebuid kit.

You didn't break it good enough. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 10:26:43 -0400, Bob wrote:

Thought I'd ask here first.

Have a Sears Craftsman Sabre Saw.

Must be at least 45 years old. No longer works (well).
Bought it when I was about 30 yrs of age. Sure does seem like eons ago !

Do they still have or honor that "Lifetime Guarantee" they had, if I
remember right, many years ago for their power tools like this ?

Do they still have a guarantee like this ?

If so, and I bring it back, what happens?
Of course, there is no longer a sales receipt available.

They just give me a new one that looks a bit like the old, or require a
45 yr old sales receipt still, or... ?

I used to buy Craftsman screwdrivers for the lifetime warranty, but
Craftsman never made electrician tools that were comfortable to use.
The sockets and wrenches do last forever.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 10:26:43 -0400, Bob wrote:

Thought I'd ask here first.

Have a Sears Craftsman Sabre Saw.

Must be at least 45 years old. No longer works (well).
Bought it when I was about 30 yrs of age. Sure does seem like eons ago !

Do they still have or honor that "Lifetime Guarantee" they had, if I
remember right, many years ago for their power tools like this ?

Do they still have a guarantee like this ?

If so, and I bring it back, what happens?
Of course, there is no longer a sales receipt available.

They just give me a new one that looks a bit like the old, or require a
45 yr old sales receipt still, or... ?

The warranty was for hand tools. I don't think they extend to power
tools. The tools that are covered under warranty do not need a sails
receipt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You can depend on AHR to provide 30 opinions, contained in 20 replies. All of them wrong.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Wes Groleau" wrote in message news:klk0f8$pnt$1@dont-

Unless the nearest Sears is a hundred miles away, you'll get a faster
answer there than on Usenet.

And no matter what the distance, it will be a more reliable answer.

--
Wes Groleau

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 19:25:41 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

You can depend on AHR to provide 30 opinions, contained in 20 replies. All of them wrong.

With at least of the dumber responses top-posted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 18:18:12 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

The sockets and wrenches do last forever.

Not if you use a 3/4" socket for lug bolts (bolts, not nuts, Kaman
Ghia) and jump on a 3' cheater bar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The sockets and wrenches do last forever.

Not if you use a 3/4" socket for lug bolts (bolts, not nuts, Kaman
Ghia) and jump on a 3' cheater bar.

My Craftsman impact socket set takes good care of those problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
The warranty was for hand tools. I don't think they extend to power
tools. The tools that are covered under warranty do not need a sails
receipt.\

Or sales receipts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 21:42:31 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:
The warranty was for hand tools. I don't think they extend to power
tools. The tools that are covered under warranty do not need a sails
receipt.\

Or sales receipts.

But some of the new sales receipts are big enough to be used as sails.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't you just hate it when the garage uses a 600 pound
air wrench, and leaves the threads dry so they rust on?
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

Not if you use a 3/4" socket for lug bolts
(bolts, not nuts, Kaman
Ghia) and jump on a 3' cheater bar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Boat owners do it with sails reciepts.Wrench owners do it with torque. Radio operators do it with frequency.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Bob F" wrote in message ...
Metspitzer wrote:
The warranty was for hand tools. I don't think they extend to power
tools. The tools that are covered under warranty do not need a sails
receipt.\

Or sales receipts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:
The warranty was for hand tools. I don't think they extend to power
tools. The tools that are covered under warranty do not need a sails
receipt.\

Or sales receipts.

But some of the new sales receipts are big enough to be used as sails.

Gottta get those California warning labels in there.
Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"Bob" wrote in message
Thought I'd ask here first.

Have a Sears Craftsman Sabre Saw.

Must be at least 45 years old. No longer works (well).
Bought it when I was about 30 yrs of age. Sure does seem like eons ago !

Do they still have or honor that "Lifetime Guarantee" they had, if I
remember right, many years ago for their power tools like this ?

Do they still have a guarantee like this ?

If so, and I bring it back, what happens?
Of course, there is no longer a sales receipt available.

They just give me a new one that looks a bit like the old, or require a 45
yr old sales receipt still, or... ?

Thanks,
Bob

Just hand tools--I've heard of people buying old, junky, broken Craftsman
hand tools at garage/yard sales for about $0.25 each and then returning them
to Sears in exchange for new ones. Then sell the new tools relatively
cheap.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The sockets and wrenches do last forever.

Not if you use a 3/4" socket for lug bolts (bolts, not nuts, Kaman
Ghia) and jump on a 3' cheater bar.

Dating yourself, Ed!

Posted to alt.home.repair
mg mg is offline

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 10:26:43 -0400, Bob wrote:

Thought I'd ask here first.

Have a Sears Craftsman Sabre Saw.

Must be at least 45 years old. No longer works (well).
Bought it when I was about 30 yrs of age. Sure does seem like eons ago !

Do they still have or honor that "Lifetime Guarantee" they had, if I
remember right, many years ago for their power tools like this ?

Do they still have a guarantee like this ?

If so, and I bring it back, what happens?
Of course, there is no longer a sales receipt available.

They just give me a new one that looks a bit like the old, or require a
45 yr old sales receipt still, or... ?

Thanks,
Bob

If it lasted 45 years, I would get it repaired and cleaned. Some new
brushes, bearings and lube, then it will still be running when it gets
handed down to a grand kid.

I haven't looked at any of the current Craftsman sabre saws, but I
would be very, very surprised if the quality is anywhere as good as a
45 year old model.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 01 May 2013 09:49:45 -0400, MG
wrote:

[...]

Likely not even in the same universe, muchless planet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:26:43 AM UTC-4, Bob wrote:
Thought I'd ask here first.

Have a Sears Craftsman Sabre Saw.

Must be at least 45 years old. No longer works (well).

Bought it when I was about 30 yrs of age. Sure does seem like eons ago !

Do they still have or honor that "Lifetime Guarantee" they had, if I

remember right, many years ago for their power tools like this ?

Do they still have a guarantee like this ?

If so, and I bring it back, what happens?

Of course, there is no longer a sales receipt available.

They just give me a new one that looks a bit like the old, or require a

45 yr old sales receipt still, or... ?

I JUST RETURNED MY DAMAGED TAPE MEASURE FOR REPLACEMENT AND FOUND THAT SEARS DOES NOT MAKE TAPE MEASURES ANYMORE. THEY REPLACED THE CRAFTSMAN TAPE MEASURE WITH ANOTHER BRAND BUT WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THIS ONE BREAKS? SOUNDS LIKE A SNEAKY WAY TO GET AROUND A "LIFETIME WARRANTY" MAYBE A "CLASS ACTION SUIT" IS BREWING????

SEARS IS NOT WHAT THEY USED TO BE!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 May 2013 13:07:28 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

SEARS IS NOT WHAT THEY USED TO BE!

They are K Mart now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 May 2013 08:08:55 -0500, Moe DeLoughan
wrote:

On 5/29/2013 3:07 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:26:43 AM UTC-4, Bob wrote:
Thought I'd ask here first.

I JUST RETURNED MY DAMAGED TAPE MEASURE FOR REPLACEMENT AND FOUND
THAT SEARS DOES NOT MAKE TAPE MEASURES ANYMORE. THEY REPLACED
THE CRAFTSMAN TAPE MEASURE WITH ANOTHER BRAND BUT WHAT HAPPENS
WHEN THIS ONE BREAKS? SOUNDS LIKE A SNEAKY WAY TO GET AROUND A
"LIFETIME WARRANTY" MAYBE A "CLASS ACTION SUIT" IS BREWING????

Sears doesn't own Craftsman anymore. The guy who now owns Sears and
Kmart moved Craftsman and Kenmore into a separate holding company.
That's why you see those brands being sold at other stores. Clever
move on his part - once he's done stripping Sears and Kmart of their
assets and the chains go belly up, those two brands will remain in his
control, continuing to earn him money.

Sears is a publicly traded company. There is no "guy who owns Sears
and Kmart". What's so wrong about restructuring corporations?? You
sound like a real pinky.

SEARS IS NOT WHAT THEY USED TO BE!

That's not news. Where have you been? Sears and Kmart were bought by a
hedge fund guy.

They were already bankrupt. If they go under, no loss. Sheesh!

He hasn't much time for retail. He doesn't put income
earned by Sears/Kmart back into the businesses, he invests it
elsewhere.

Once the ship sinks, it's probably not a good idea to keep pumping
money into it.

Eventually the chains will no longer be profitable. When
that happens, he'll shut them down and sell off the remaining assets.

No ****? Wow, losers die. What a concept!

He's already planning on converting thousands of the stores into data
centers. Others will be sold for redevelopment.

Citation please. Why in hell would someone make a "data center" out
of expensive retail space that was never designed for the purpose,
when such space is cheap. Data center for what? Sears?
Posted to alt.home.repair

eddie lampert runs sears k mart, he has milked money out of them
forever, sold off the assets.

the problem is people prefer to shop at nice stores, by not
reinvesting any money back into the stores they detoriate and sales
fall.

sears k mart will likely be sold off when eddie is done stripping the
profits......

just walk thru your local sears or k mart, cracked floors, scratched
display cases, holes in cieling tiles, worn out stores......

meanwhile eddie smiles he got his money out.......

its all very sad........ intentially killing a chain of stores
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sears Furnace Guarantee (was: Sears Craftsman "Lifetime Guarantee" ?)

Another Sears complaint is that they now fail to honor the lifetime
guarantee on the heat exchanger in their oil furnace because they no
longer sell or service furnaces in my area (New Hampshire). They need
to send a technician to certify that the thing is broken, but they have
none here. Also looking up the heat exchanger on their website shows
that it is no longer available.

Of course the warranty was never worth that much in the first place, as
a heat exchanger costs about $500 (covered), but the labor is about
$1000 (not covered).

So I will have to buy a new furnace before next winter, but it will be
good to get rid of the Sears junk anyway.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 May 2013 19:19:16 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

eddie lampert runs sears k mart, he has milked money out of them
forever, sold off the assets.

the problem is people prefer to shop at nice stores, by not
reinvesting any money back into the stores they detoriate and sales
fall.

sears k mart will likely be sold off when eddie is done stripping the
profits......

just walk thru your local sears or k mart, cracked floors, scratched
display cases, holes in cieling tiles, worn out stores......

meanwhile eddie smiles he got his money out.......

its all very sad........ intentially killing a chain of stores

He is killing it faster, but it would die anyway. Just like J C
Penney is dying. Wal Mart, Target, Kohl's are taking what walk in
business is left and internet sales are still growing.

I'm not so sure Wal Mart will do as well in the future. They seem to
be out of a lot of product and there is a lot of negativity from some
people because of their business model.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 May 2013 05:50:41 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote
in Re Sears Craftsman
"Lifetime Guarantee" ?:

I'm not so sure Wal Mart will do as well in the future. They seem to
be out of a lot of product and there is a lot of negativity from some
people because of their business model.

I kept tally of my Wal Mart shopping "experience" for several months
and found that 15% (average) of the items on my shopping list were out
of stock (empty shelf). The worst section was the bakery. About 25%
of the shelf space was empty at 10:00 AM on a Sunday morning. Every
Sunday morning.

Complaints to the home office brought no improvement. WM is the only
game in our small town and they know it.

Every time I leave a WM I find myself praying for a Target super
center.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

penneys was historical profitable and paid a dividend, till Ron
crackpot Johnson was put in charge

is less than 2 years his reinvention of retail nearly killed the
retailer, the disaster could of easily been prevented if they had test
marketed his ideas in one select area......

penneys will be lucky to survive, they could easily join montogmery
ward and WT GRANT in the dustbin of one time great retailers who
ceased to exist.......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 30, 10:19*pm, bob haller wrote:
eddie lampert runs sears k mart, he has milked money out of them
forever, sold off the assets.

the problem is people prefer to shop at nice stores, by not
reinvesting any money back into the stores they detoriate and sales
fall.

sears k mart will likely be sold off when eddie is done stripping the
profits......

just walk thru your local sears or k mart, cracked floors, scratched
display cases, holes in cieling tiles, worn out stores......

meanwhile eddie smiles he got his money out.......

its all very sad........ intentially killing a chain of stores

The only thing going for Kmart is where they don't have competition
from Walmart or similar. I have one here in NJ that's a lot closer to
my house
than either of two Walmarts. The Kmart is not the worst I've seen,
but
it's older and as you say they haven't put money back into it for a
very long
time.

Their point of sale system is decades old. I have been in there a few
times now where they couldn't check people out because it was
either running slow or down altogether. It went down last year right
before Xmas. I was standing in line, first it was running very slow,
then it went down. To bring it back up,they have to download over
some
very slow link and do it one register at a time. After 10 or 15
mins,
I suggested to mgt that they just give us bags so we could leave our
stuff and come back later. That is what I and most of the other
folks
did. But how many times do you have to go through that before you
don't go there again? And you would think having a good POS
system would be one of the things you would put money into, unless
you plan to close the store in a few months. This has been going onn
for years.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 May 2013 22:28:00 -0400, Larry Weil wrote:

Another Sears complaint is that they now fail to honor the lifetime
guarantee on the heat exchanger in their oil furnace because they no
longer sell or service furnaces in my area (New Hampshire). They need
to send a technician to certify that the thing is broken, but they have
none here. Also looking up the heat exchanger on their website shows
that it is no longer available.

Of course the warranty was never worth that much in the first place, as
a heat exchanger costs about $500 (covered), but the labor is about
$1000 (not covered).

So I will have to buy a new furnace before next winter, but it will be
good to get rid of the Sears junk anyway.

I found out that Sears purged data from their system.

Took a product back and the clerk said they "never sold that item."

I climbed the ladder until a manger "researched' my complaint. She
finally found where Sears did sell the item. Got my $85 back.

I have no clue as to why they purged data.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

eddie lampert runs sears k mart, he has milked money out of them
forever, sold off the assets.

He may be the CEO and he may well "run" the company but he does *NOT*
"own" it. He is running the company as its share holders see fit.
What's the problem?

the problem is people prefer to shop at nice stores, by not
reinvesting any money back into the stores they detoriate and sales
fall.

So "shop at a nice store" that suits your needs. If Sears or Kmart
doesn't, don't shop there. In any case QUIT WHINING! What a loser.

sears k mart will likely be sold off when eddie is done stripping the
profits......

Good! What's it to you?

just walk thru your local sears or k mart, cracked floors, scratched
display cases, holes in cieling tiles, worn out stores......

I certainly didn't notice that last weekend when I was there (the
first time in a year). In any case, if that offends your delicate
sensibilities, DON'T GO THERE!

meanwhile eddie smiles he got his money out.......

"HE"? He is the employee of the share holders. Evidently they agree
with him. You don't get a vote.

its all very sad........ intentially killing a chain of stores

That may be but IT'S NONE OF YOUR DAMNED BUSINESS. STOP WHINING!