Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sears/K-Mart Craftsman ratchetwrench "knucklebleeders"

I never used to worry about Craftsman tools. My brother was tightening
a bolt the other day, and the Craftsman wrench ratchet stripped its
internal parts, landing his knuckles on a hard surface, causing
bleeding and lots of pain. He took it in to Sears to trade it in, and
the gal at the tool counter said that the knucklebleed ratchet was a
common occurance since shortly after K-Mart took over Sears.-Jitney

Posted to alt.home.repair

I thought Sears bought Kmart?
I've got a Sears 3/8" drive ratchet that broke in the same way.... and
it's at least 10 years old.

They still make a decent product.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
I never used to worry about Craftsman tools. My brother was tightening
a bolt the other day, and the Craftsman wrench ratchet stripped its
internal parts, landing his knuckles on a hard surface, causing
bleeding and lots of pain. He took it in to Sears to trade it in, and
the gal at the tool counter said that the knucklebleed ratchet was a
common occurance since shortly after K-Mart took over Sears.-Jitney

"Sears Holdings Corporation, the publicly traded (NASDAQ: SHLD) parent
of Kmart and Sears, Roebuck and Co., ..."

"The merger of Kmart and Sears as Sears Holdings Corporation closed on
March 24, 2005, following affirmative shareholder votes of both
companies. The company's corporate headquarters is in Hoffman
Estates, Illinois. Kmart maintains a headquarters office in Troy,
Michigan. Sears Holdings operates Sears and Kmart stores, and began
opening a combined format named Sears Essentials during the second
quarter of 2005. The company continues to market products under brands
held by both companies."

The gal is sorta' backwards in her understanding, apparently.

How old was the ratchet handle and what level of use/abuse had it had?
Ratchets _do_ wear from use and such a failure isn't unheard of from
any brand.

And, I was always taught to be thinking ahead about where your knuckles
would be "just in case" -- your brother probably (and hopefully) will
be from now on. It's always far better to try to pull as oppose to
push as well if at all possible--prevents or at least minimizes that
particular form of injury even in case of a failure or a slip.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

And, I was always taught to be thinking ahead about where your knuckles
would be "just in case" -- your brother probably (and hopefully) will
be from now on. It's always far better to try to pull as oppose to
push as well if at all possible--prevents or at least minimizes that
particular form of injury even in case of a failure or a slip.

I recommend a few sessions removing bicycle pedals. If you think
running your knuckles into a flat, hard surface is bad, you've obviously
never encountered greasy dirty bicycle chainrings on a power stroke with
your knuckles....

I can testify that Pavlovian conditioning is very effective and now I
plan where my knuckled will hit if the ratchet breaks/slips or if the
bolt lets loose suddenly. :-)

--Yan
Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't think that had anything to do with it, other than a possibly sales
clerk's bias or opinion. Most of the construction of Craftsman products
hasn't changed since the buyout. Chances are that the tool in question was
actually manufacturered before the K-Mart acquisition of Sears. Sears did
however manufacturer cheaper (price & quality) products under the Sears name
but they weren't Craftsman. One difference I have noticed (also before the
buyout) was that when you came in to return a tool, rather than just replace
the whole tool they would, in some cases, repair the tool right there and
give it back to you. This happened to me when a 1/4 inch ratchet failed.

Another difference, since the acquisition, was seeing Craftsman tools sold
in K-Mart stores. As for a potential suit .. I can't say but I don't buy it
being that K-Mart taking over had anything to do with it but then as with
many other things I could be wrong.

On 1/8/07 2:39 AM, in article
, "
wrote:

I never used to worry about Craftsman tools. My brother was tightening
a bolt the other day, and the Craftsman wrench ratchet stripped its
internal parts, landing his knuckles on a hard surface, causing
bleeding and lots of pain. He took it in to Sears to trade it in, and
the gal at the tool counter said that the knucklebleed ratchet was a
common occurance since shortly after K-Mart took over Sears.-Jitney

Posted to alt.home.repair

Which is why my friend the mechanic refers to "pulling wrenches".
So you don't smash your hand on the vehicle.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

oups.com...