Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My Slow Cooker Takes Too Long

I like using my slow cooker, but it takes way too long to cook stuff. Some
foods take 6 - 8 hours. Can you imagine such a thing?

I wonder if I should hook it up to a 240 circuit. That should cut the
cooking time in half.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 7:36*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I like using my slow cooker, but it takes way too long to cook stuff. Some
foods take 6 - 8 hours. Can you imagine such a thing?

I wonder if I should hook it up to a 240 circuit. That should cut the
cooking time in half.

i realize this is a joke/troll, but just to play along..

Watts = V^2/R

so if you hook it to 240 instead of 120, it would take 1/4 the time.

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 6:55*pm, Mark wrote:
On Apr 20, 7:36*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I like using my slow cooker, but it takes way too long to cook stuff. Some
foods take 6 - 8 hours. Can you imagine such a thing?

I wonder if I should hook it up to a 240 circuit. That should cut the
cooking time in half.

i realize this is a joke/troll, but just to play along..

Watts = V^2/R

so if you hook it to 240 instead of 120, it would take 1/4 the time.

Mark

That is asssuming that it did not explode or something worse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 16:55:08 -0700 (PDT), Mark
wrote:

On Apr 20, 7:36*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I like using my slow cooker, but it takes way too long to cook stuff. Some
foods take 6 - 8 hours. Can you imagine such a thing?

I wonder if I should hook it up to a 240 circuit. That should cut the
cooking time in half.

i realize this is a joke/troll, but just to play along..

Watts = V^2/R

so if you hook it to 240 instead of 120, it would take 1/4 the time.

To unpeel another layer of the obviousness onion, it wouldn't do so
much good for "slow cooking", either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/20/13 6:36 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I like using my slow cooker, but it takes way too long to cook stuff. Some
foods take 6 - 8 hours. Can you imagine such a thing?

I wonder if I should hook it up to a 240 circuit. That should cut the
cooking time in half.

You could put more wood on the fire.
You could grease your electrons to the current would flow faster.
Is this the place to mention WD-40?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/20/2013 6:36 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I like using my slow cooker, but it takes way too long to cook stuff. Some
foods take 6 - 8 hours. Can you imagine such a thing?

I wonder if I should hook it up to a 240 circuit. That should cut the
cooking time in half.

That's nothing, I have a fast cooker that cooks too fast. I wonder if I
hooked it to a couple of flashlight batteries if that would slow it
down? It's hell when you try to cook something and it cooks before you
can get a plate from the cabinet. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I like using my slow cooker, but it takes way too long to cook stuff. Some
foods take 6 - 8 hours. Can you imagine such a thing?

That is why it is called a SLOW COOKER ww

I wonder if I should hook it up to a 240 circuit. That should cut the
cooking time in half.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/20/13 9:10 PM, WW wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I like using my slow cooker, but it takes way too long to cook stuff. Some
foods take 6 - 8 hours. Can you imagine such a thing?

That is why it is called a SLOW COOKER ww

Yeahbut. There is rabbit slow and turtle slow.

I wonder if I should hook it up to a 240 circuit. That should cut the
cooking time in half.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 20:08:57 -0500, Dean Hoffman
" wrote:

You could put more wood on the fire.
You could grease your electrons to the current would flow faster.
Is this the place to mention WD-40?

Does something need to be lubricated?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 12:55*am, Mark wrote:
On Apr 20, 7:36*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I like using my slow cooker, but it takes way too long to cook stuff. Some
foods take 6 - 8 hours. Can you imagine such a thing?

I wonder if I should hook it up to a 240 circuit. That should cut the
cooking time in half.

i realize this is a joke/troll, but just to play along..

Watts = V^2/R

so if you hook it to 240 instead of 120, it would take 1/4 the time.

Mark

Idiot.
Watts = Volts X Amps X PF
So it would be twice the watts if the volts were doubled.

Also.
Watts = amps X amps X resistance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 12:36*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I like using my slow cooker, but it takes way too long to cook stuff. Some
foods take 6 - 8 hours. Can you imagine such a thing?

I wonder if I should hook it up to a 240 circuit. That should cut the
cooking time in half.

It is intended to cook tough and cheaper cuts of meat, so pointless
speeding it up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Young's Law of usenet: After Nazis have been
invoked and called forth from the spirit world,
someone is sure to mention WD-40. The debate
"is it a lubricant or water displacer" is not complete
until someone explains what the letters abbrev. for.
Points are earned by quoting usenet posters of old,
Aristotle, or your own personal experiences with
WD-40. Web pages abound, and are on topic for
the debate. Regardless of how worthy an argument
is, no one is allowed to change sides. The debate
must continue to eternity.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

..
"Dean Hoffman" " wrote in message
I wonder if I should hook it up to a 240 circuit. That should cut the
cooking time in half.

You could put more wood on the fire.
You could grease your electrons to the current would flow faster.
Is this the place to mention WD-40?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can't get the spirits and ghosts out of my medium cooker. It keeps
moaning, and asking why I killed it, and calling for "Rosabelle believe".
Which seems to be a magic code.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

That's nothing, I have a fast cooker that cooks too fast. I wonder if I
hooked it to a couple of flashlight batteries if that would slow it
down? It's hell when you try to cook something and it cooks before you
can get a plate from the cabinet. o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

You could put more wood on the fire.
You could grease your electrons to the current would flow faster.
Is this the place to mention WD-40?

Does something need to be lubricated?

Derby Dad's electrons must be rusty if his slow cooker is slow.
Maybe percussive maintenance would be the answer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/20/2013 7:36 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I like using my slow cooker, but it takes way too long to cook stuff. Some
foods take 6 - 8 hours. Can you imagine such a thing?

I wonder if I should hook it up to a 240 circuit. That should cut the
cooking time in half.

Higher voltage is not going to increase the boiling point of water.
Get yourself a pressure cooker - if they are still legal

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 2:53*am, harry wrote:
On Apr 21, 12:55*am, Mark wrote:

On Apr 20, 7:36*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I like using my slow cooker, but it takes way too long to cook stuff. Some
foods take 6 - 8 hours. Can you imagine such a thing?

I wonder if I should hook it up to a 240 circuit. That should cut the
cooking time in half.

i realize this is a joke/troll, but just to play along..

Watts = V^2/R

so if you hook it to 240 instead of 120, it would take 1/4 the time.

Mark

Idiot.
Watts = Volts X Amps X PF
So it would be twice the watts if the volts were doubled.

Also.
Watts = amps X amps X resistance.

As usual, the village idiot has once again demonstrated his
incompetence.
Mark has it right. With a resistance load, doubling the voltage
increases the
power (watts) by 4. That is because of the simple fact that doubling
the
voltage also doubles the current. 2 x 2 = 4.

Got it now harry, or as usual, do you want to argue on and further
make an ass of yourself?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/20/2013 7:36 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I like using my slow cooker, but it takes way too long to cook stuff. Some
foods take 6 - 8 hours. Can you imagine such a thing?

I wonder if I should hook it up to a 240 circuit. That should cut the
cooking time in half.

You need a Weber grill with liquid oxygen assist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjuXrxHcFfg
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

I like using my slow cooker, but it takes way too long to cook stuff.
Some foods take 6 - 8 hours. Can you imagine such a thing?

I wonder if I should hook it up to a 240 circuit. That should cut the
cooking time in half.

You need to put child caps on the other outlets on the circut. Electricity
follows the path of least resistance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 23:53:31 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Apr 21, 12:55*am, Mark wrote:
On Apr 20, 7:36*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I like using my slow cooker, but it takes way too long to cook stuff. Some
foods take 6 - 8 hours. Can you imagine such a thing?

I wonder if I should hook it up to a 240 circuit. That should cut the
cooking time in half.

i realize this is a joke/troll, but just to play along..

Watts = V^2/R

so if you hook it to 240 instead of 120, it would take 1/4 the time.

Mark

Idiot.
Watts = Volts X Amps X PF
So it would be twice the watts if the volts were doubled.

Ah, so if volts doubles PF drops in half? ...on a heating element?
This must be some Brit physics to add to the Usenet physics flying
around here.

Also.
Watts = amps X amps X resistance.

Where did the PF go, harry? More Brit physics?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 06:17:13 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Young's Law of usenet: After Nazis have been
invoked and called forth from the spirit world,
someone is sure to mention WD-40. The debate
"is it a lubricant or water displacer" is not complete
until someone explains what the letters abbrev. for.
Points are earned by quoting usenet posters of old,
Aristotle, or your own personal experiences with
WD-40. Web pages abound, and are on topic for
the debate. Regardless of how worthy an argument
is, no one is allowed to change sides. The debate
must continue to eternity.

Like Godwin's law, the intentional invocation of the keyword to
trigger the law is the exception that negates the invocation of the
law.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 5:46*am, "
wrote:
On Apr 21, 2:53*am, harry wrote:

On Apr 21, 12:55*am, Mark wrote:

[...]

Too late, he did that years ago.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

.
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

That's nothing, I have a fast cooker that cooks too fast. I wonder if I
hooked it to a couple of flashlight batteries if that would slow it
down? It's hell when you try to cook something and it cooks before you
can get a plate from the cabinet. o_O

Yup
I have slow cookers to cook slow, and pressure cookers to cook fast.
And a whole bunch of pots and pans to cook things in between..

Posted to alt.home.repair

I like using my slow cooker, but it takes way too long to cook stuff.
Some foods take 6 - 8 hours. Can you imagine such a thing?

I understand they have self powered models now, but you have to be careful as
they have a tendency to overpressurize.
Posted to alt.home.repair

i realize this is a joke/troll, but just to play along..

Watts = V^2/R

so if you hook it to 240 instead of 120, it would take 1/4 the time.

Mark

Idiot.
Watts = Volts X Amps X PF
So it would be twice the watts if the volts were doubled.

Harry,
I'm not going to debate this with you, there is no point.
But I do have some advice for you, before you call someone an idiot,
be SURE you know what you are talking about.
Have a good day.

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/21/2013 12:25 PM, Attila Iskander wrote:

.
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

That's nothing, I have a fast cooker that cooks too fast. I wonder if I
hooked it to a couple of flashlight batteries if that would slow it
down? It's hell when you try to cook something and it cooks before you
can get a plate from the cabinet. o_O

Yup
I have slow cookers to cook slow, and pressure cookers to cook fast.
And a whole bunch of pots and pans to cook things in between..

I wish I had the counter top convection oven a friend gave me years ago.
It was the size of a large microwave oven, had a standard 120v
plug and didn't draw a lot of current for what it did. It had a simple
mechanical timer, thermostat and pilot light to indicate it was on. It
was an uncomplicated and very effective appliance. I could put a roast,
a large dead chicken or any combination of dead animal parts and plants
that had been ripped from their homes into a large pan then cover it
with aluminum foil, set the timer, turn the oven on then go do a service
call or some shopping. When I returned after a few hours, the lifeless
animal and vegetable pieces were cooked and had time to cool down to a
suitable temperature for me to tear into the dead animal parts and eat
them. Of course I was making all the appropriate grunting and growling
sounds as I ate. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/21/2013 09:20 AM, Red Green wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

I like using my slow cooker, but it takes way too long to cook stuff.
Some foods take 6 - 8 hours. Can you imagine such a thing?

I wonder if I should hook it up to a 240 circuit. That should cut the
cooking time in half.

You need to put child caps on the other outlets on the circut. Electricity
follows the path of least resistance.

I have a light fixture with two parallel sockets. One with a 40W bulb in
it, and the other with a 60W bulb in it. The 60W bulb has a lower
resistance so the 40W bulb will never light.

You said it, least resistance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

You could put more wood on the fire.
You could grease your electrons to the current would flow faster.
Is this the place to mention WD-40?

Does something need to be lubricated?

Oh boy, here we go again...

How many times do you have to be told that WD-40 is not duct tape.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:
On Apr 21, 2:53 am, harry wrote:
On Apr 21, 12:55 am, Mark wrote:

[...]

Your all wrong. The element will heat increasing resistance. Power will be
less than 4 times. My cooker will start to boil liquid around the sides
after a while. I don't think there is a thermostat. I'm guessing the low
uses a series diode.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

I was recently eyeing up an old toastmaster, made in USA, table model with
mechanical controls. I still would not leave the house if I had it on. I
don't have an extra outlet or counter space. Sometimes I'm cooking with two
microwaves and my little turbo, all at the same time. Plus regular
stove/oven. Plus toaster ?

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

sam E wrote:
On 04/21/2013 09:20 AM, Red Green wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

I like using my slow cooker, but it takes way too long to cook stuff.
Some foods take 6 - 8 hours. Can you imagine such a thing?

I wonder if I should hook it up to a 240 circuit. That should cut the
cooking time in half.

You need to put child caps on the other outlets on the circut. Electricity
follows the path of least resistance.

I have a light fixture with two parallel sockets. One with a 40W bulb in
it, and the other with a 60W bulb in it. The 60W bulb has a lower
resistance so the 40W bulb will never light.

You said it, least resistance.

Lights also have a really high resistance change as they glow.
I don't think I tried this, but they would tend to want to equalize.

Who's going to try it ?

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 9:30*pm, gregz wrote:
" wrote:
On Apr 21, 2:53 am, harry wrote:
On Apr 21, 12:55 am, Mark wrote:

[...]

Greg- Hide quoted text -

That's true if you want to get into second order effects. But this
isn't
a light bulb filament. It's a heating element in direct contact with
water,
so the temp of the element probably isn't going to change
dramatically. For example, for heating elements for spas
and hot tubs, the rated power is given as 4X when going
from 120V to 240V. The one in my spa is rated at 1500W
at 120V, 6000W at 240V. With the cooker you'd see some
increase in resistance and it wouldn't be exactly 4X, but it
would be in the ballpark.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 9:39*pm, gregz wrote:
sam E wrote:
[...]

You guys may want to rethink what you're claiming.... In essence,
all the lights and other loads in a house are in "parallel". They all
have 120V going to them. Yet both the smallest bulb and
the largest all light...... As they should, because they have 120V
across them, exactly as they are supposed to.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:
On Apr 21, 9:30 pm, gregz wrote:
" wrote:
On Apr 21, 2:53 am, harry wrote:
On Apr 21, 12:55 am, Mark wrote:

[...]

My cooker has a removable ceramic pot. There is air between the pot and
inner metal wall, and the heater is on the inside. For the pot to get to
boiling, the air must be a lot hotter. I could try measuring it, but
probably not.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/21/2013 3:35 PM, DD_BobK wrote:
On Apr 20, 4:55 pm, wrote:
On Apr 20, 7:36 pm, wrote:

I like using my slow cooker, but it takes way too long to cook stuff. Some
foods take 6 - 8 hours. Can you imagine such a thing?

I wonder if I should hook it up to a 240 circuit. That should cut the
cooking time in half.

i realize this is a joke/troll, but just to play along..

Watts = V^2/R

so if you hook it to 240 instead of 120, it would take 1/4 the time.

Mark

+1

Pedantic response -
The cooker would produce about 4x the heat (briefly, before it burned out).

As Frank notes, the heat may boil out the water, which does not improve
the cooked product.

In any case, cooking rate, like other chemical reactions, in general
approximately doubles for every 10 degrees C temperature rise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

On Apr 21, 9:39*pm, gregz wrote:
sam E wrote:
[...]

Hogwash!

---

errr.... you do realize it's goof thread right. I mean what I posted was
intentionally dumb. Eluding to electricity leaking out of outlets because
of least resistance when, unused, outlets are effectively infinite.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote in
:

" wrote in
:

On Apr 21, 9:39*pm, gregz wrote:
sam E wrote:
[...]

Hmmm...after refreshing, I see some parts have turned serious.
Considering the content of the OP, sad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 23:36:54 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03 wrote:

I like using my slow cooker, but it takes way too long to cook stuff. Some
foods take 6 - 8 hours. Can you imagine such a thing?

Preheat liquid ingrediants to near boiling point in microwave before adding them to
crockpot.. That will halve your cooking time..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 05:29:37 -0400, T. Keating wrote:

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 23:36:54 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03 wrote:

I like using my slow cooker, but it takes way too long to cook stuff. Some
foods take 6 - 8 hours. Can you imagine such a thing?

Preheat liquid ingrediants to near boiling point in microwave before adding them to
crockpot.. That will halve your cooking time..

And also add a folded towel on top of crockpot and two longest sides to prevent heat loss.
Remove once contents start boiling..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 5:33*am, T. Keating wrote:
On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 05:29:37 -0400, T. Keating wrote:
On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 23:36:54 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03 wrote:

I like using my slow cooker, but it takes way too long to cook stuff. Some
foods take 6 - 8 hours. Can you imagine such a thing?

Preheat liquid ingrediants to near boiling point in microwave before adding them to
crockpot.. * That will halve your cooking time..

And also add a folded towel on top of crockpot and two longest sides to prevent heat loss.
Remove once contents start boiling..

No need. The post is from April. Even with the slowest,
slow cooker, the meal was done a long time ago.