Junior Member

Default Replace drip edge without re-roofing?

As in the title, I found significant termite damage to some fascia boards on a flat (or very low sloping) section of my roof. In order to remove the damaged boards, I must first remove the drip edge, which is under the roll out roofing that was used. I'm wondering if I can just peel the roofing back a minimal amount, do the work, and re-set the roofing afterwards.

If it is possible, what method would you suggest for peeling the roofing back?

FYI, this roof covers the walkway to my front door, and gets a fair amount of direct sun, but the existing roofing material looks to be in good shape.
Posted to alt.home.repair

--
hardlymick

Yes... what you propose to do will work.
I would suggest doing it when the material has a chance to warm up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

hardlymick wrote in
:

As in the title, I found significant termite damage to some fascia
boards on a flat (or very low sloping) section of my roof. In order to
remove the damaged boards, I must first remove the drip edge, which is
under the roll out roofing that was used. I'm wondering if I can just
peel the roofing back a minimal amount, do the work, and re-set the
roofing afterwards.

FYI, this roof covers the walkway to my front door, and gets a fair
amount of direct sun, but the existing roofing material looks to be in
good shape.

Agree with DD_BobK but am not sure why you have to remove drip edge at all.

Bottom of fascia board should have a little overhang to soffit. Whack it
with a hammer outward so there's a tiny gap between the inside of the
fascia board and the soffit. Long blade on a recip saw and cut face nails.
Sure hope some jaboni didn't top nail drip edge into the fascia board.
Posted to alt.home.repair

hardlymick wrote:
As in the title, I found significant termite damage to some fascia
boards on a flat (or very low sloping) section of my roof. In order to
remove the damaged boards, I must first remove the drip edge, which is
under the roll out roofing that was used. I'm wondering if I can just
peel the roofing back a minimal amount, do the work, and re-set the
roofing afterwards.

FYI, this roof covers the walkway to my front door, and gets a fair
amount of direct sun, but the existing roofing material looks to be in
good shape.

I hope you have fully checked for other termite damaged areas? It is my
understanding that they normally reach the higher levels through
adjacent wood that ultimately reaches the ground. I would hate to see
you replace one area only to see it destroyed again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 7:46*am, Ken wrote:
hardlymick wrote:
As in the title, I found significant termite damage to some fascia
boards on a flat (or very low sloping) section of my roof. In order to
remove the damaged boards, I must first remove the drip edge, which is
under the roll out roofing that was used. I'm wondering if I can just
peel the roofing back a minimal amount, do the work, and re-set the
roofing afterwards.

FYI, this roof covers the walkway to my front door, and gets a fair
amount of direct sun, but the existing roofing material looks to be in
good shape.

I hope you have fully checked for other termite damaged areas? *It is my
understanding that they normally reach the higher levels through
adjacent wood that ultimately reaches the ground. *I would hate to see
you replace one area only to see it destroyed again.

Agreed, I was wondering how the termites got up to the facia boards
without tunneling through some wood somewhere. I have never heard of
termites living up high without some means of communicating/traveling
back to earth. Maybe he has rot (wet or dry) and just doesn't know
the source so assumes it is termites....

Lapping Drip-Edge? Davej Home Repair 5 July 11th 12 07:51 PM
why does drip edge go over membrane? George Home Repair 10 September 30th 10 03:31 PM
Drip edge discouraged GB Home Repair 15 March 4th 07 03:03 PM
Question on Drip Edge installation. higgledy Home Repair 3 July 27th 06 09:23 PM
New roof. Replace drip edge? Mike Mike Home Repair 7 March 3rd 05 03:56 AM