DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Replace drip edge without re-roofing? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/355423-replace-drip-edge-without-re-roofing.html)

hardlymick April 20th 13 04:27 AM

Replace drip edge without re-roofing?

As in the title, I found significant termite damage to some fascia boards on a flat (or very low sloping) section of my roof. In order to remove the damaged boards, I must first remove the drip edge, which is under the roll out roofing that was used. I'm wondering if I can just peel the roofing back a minimal amount, do the work, and re-set the roofing afterwards.

If it is possible, what method would you suggest for peeling the roofing back?

FYI, this roof covers the walkway to my front door, and gets a fair amount of direct sun, but the existing roofing material looks to be in good shape.

DD_BobK April 20th 13 06:36 AM

Replace drip edge without re-roofing?

--
hardlymick

Yes... what you propose to do will work.
I would suggest doing it when the material has a chance to warm up.

Red Green April 20th 13 10:39 AM

Replace drip edge without re-roofing?

hardlymick wrote in
:

As in the title, I found significant termite damage to some fascia
boards on a flat (or very low sloping) section of my roof. In order to
remove the damaged boards, I must first remove the drip edge, which is
under the roll out roofing that was used. I'm wondering if I can just
peel the roofing back a minimal amount, do the work, and re-set the
roofing afterwards.

FYI, this roof covers the walkway to my front door, and gets a fair
amount of direct sun, but the existing roofing material looks to be in
good shape.

Agree with DD_BobK but am not sure why you have to remove drip edge at all.

Bottom of fascia board should have a little overhang to soffit. Whack it
with a hammer outward so there's a tiny gap between the inside of the
fascia board and the soffit. Long blade on a recip saw and cut face nails.
Sure hope some jaboni didn't top nail drip edge into the fascia board.

Ken[_6_] April 20th 13 01:46 PM

hardlymick wrote:
As in the title, I found significant termite damage to some fascia
boards on a flat (or very low sloping) section of my roof. In order to
remove the damaged boards, I must first remove the drip edge, which is
under the roll out roofing that was used. I'm wondering if I can just
peel the roofing back a minimal amount, do the work, and re-set the
roofing afterwards.

FYI, this roof covers the walkway to my front door, and gets a fair
amount of direct sun, but the existing roofing material looks to be in
good shape.

I hope you have fully checked for other termite damaged areas? It is my
understanding that they normally reach the higher levels through
adjacent wood that ultimately reaches the ground. I would hate to see
you replace one area only to see it destroyed again.

[email protected] April 20th 13 11:43 PM

On Apr 20, 7:46*am, Ken wrote:
hardlymick wrote:
As in the title, I found significant termite damage to some fascia
boards on a flat (or very low sloping) section of my roof. In order to
remove the damaged boards, I must first remove the drip edge, which is
under the roll out roofing that was used. I'm wondering if I can just
peel the roofing back a minimal amount, do the work, and re-set the
roofing afterwards.

FYI, this roof covers the walkway to my front door, and gets a fair
amount of direct sun, but the existing roofing material looks to be in
good shape.

I hope you have fully checked for other termite damaged areas? *It is my
understanding that they normally reach the higher levels through
adjacent wood that ultimately reaches the ground. *I would hate to see
you replace one area only to see it destroyed again.

Agreed, I was wondering how the termites got up to the facia boards
without tunneling through some wood somewhere. I have never heard of
termites living up high without some means of communicating/traveling
back to earth. Maybe he has rot (wet or dry) and just doesn't know
the source so assumes it is termites....