Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to play (wirelessly?) audio from PC to hi-fi across house?

computer --acrossHouse-- hi-fi? (Boss says "SEE NO WIRES!")

(Why the effort: hi-fi has vintage-1969 BOSE 901 incredible-sounding
speakers, backed against old-house HARD plaster wall
(ideal/required for the 901's audio backwards-reflection scheme).

Method 1: Buy cheap computer for hi-fi AND HOPE wifi reaches (6 plaster
wall-faces; see below).

(Yes, wifi, transmitted from kitchen computer-site, does nicely
reach laptop in basement, but that path is through only ONE wall
and one wooden floor.)

Method 2: Hang cable from ceilings: kitchen (where PC is), across
front hall, living room, and into where hi-fi is. (GUARANTEED
RESULT: end up living on the street or in the car!)

Method 3: Hire electrician to run cable out kitchen window, around
back of house, & into hi-fi's window.

Method 4: MY DESIRED IDEAL: (wireless scheme) Concoct scheme to
transmit wireless signal from computer, received at hi-fi amp.

Distance: 13 yards;

Impediments to wireless transmission: must go through three OLD
1945 HOUSE walls, each surfaced with heavy plaster, probably backed
with wire mesh, thus 3 * 2 = 6 layers of it (ie one layer on each
wall face).

Question: how to implement such a solution -- and at a reasonable cost?

THANK YOU!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:
[...]

I used a US Robotics FM transmitter (probably not available) which connects to
the audio outputs on the PC with a mini-phone-jack splitter. The receiver end
has an FM transmitter and can be located as needed. A car type FM transmitter
with a 12V power block to power it could do the job.

What I use.
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i...L000010894.pdf

Multiple possibilities for kludging it.
http://dx.com/c/car-accessories-799/...ers-710?page=2

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Robotics-...e#ht_155wt_958

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 14 Apr 2013 12:53:50 -0400, (David Combs) wrote:

computer --acrossHouse-- hi-fi? (Boss says "SEE NO WIRES!")

(Why the effort: hi-fi has vintage-1969 BOSE 901 incredible-sounding
speakers, backed against old-house HARD plaster wall
(ideal/required for the 901's audio backwards-reflection scheme).

Method 1: Buy cheap computer for hi-fi AND HOPE wifi reaches (6 plaster
wall-faces; see below).

(Yes, wifi, transmitted from kitchen computer-site, does nicely
reach laptop in basement, but that path is through only ONE wall
and one wooden floor.)

Method 2: Hang cable from ceilings: kitchen (where PC is), across
front hall, living room, and into where hi-fi is. (GUARANTEED
RESULT: end up living on the street or in the car!)

Method 3: Hire electrician to run cable out kitchen window, around
back of house, & into hi-fi's window.

Do you really need an electrician to do this?

Method 4: MY DESIRED IDEAL: (wireless scheme) Concoct scheme to
transmit wireless signal from computer, received at hi-fi amp.

Distance: 13 yards;

Impediments to wireless transmission: must go through three OLD
1945 HOUSE walls, each surfaced with heavy plaster, probably backed
with wire mesh, thus 3 * 2 = 6 layers of it (ie one layer on each
wall face).

Question: how to implement such a solution -- and at a reasonable cost?

THANK YOU!

Method 5. Run cat-5 or cat-6 cable through small hole in kitchen
floor, preferablly under the kitchen sink where no one will see it,
along the basement ceiling to a spot under the amp, and up through
another small hole.

Purchase 3 foot drill bit to go through floors, walls, and ceilings.

Purchase a set of baluns for each end of the cat-6. (Hard to find,
but you seem to already know how you will terminate your cable.)

IIRC, 100 feet for 8 dollars at monoprice.com If it's much more
there, then there's a cheaper place.
David

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/14/2013 12:53 PM, David Combs wrote:
[...]

Why couldn't you load the songs on your portable player of choice (ipod
etc) and plug it into the aux input on the amplifier? That immediately
negates the need to keep a computer running and devising a method to
connect the computer on the other end of the house to the amp.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
(David Combs) wrote:

[...]

why is it necessary to get music from your PC? Wouldn't it just be
easier to burn DVDs and get a d DVD player?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/14/13 11:53 AM, David Combs wrote:
computer --acrossHouse-- hi-fi? (Boss says "SEE NO WIRES!")

(Why the effort: hi-fi has vintage-1969 BOSE 901 incredible-sounding
speakers, backed against old-house HARD plaster wall
(ideal/required for the 901's audio backwards-reflection scheme).

Some cut due to AIOE quotation limit. What can I say? AIOE is
free and I'm cheap, er, frugal.

Method 4: MY DESIRED IDEAL: (wireless scheme) Concoct scheme to
transmit wireless signal from computer, received at hi-fi amp.

Distance: 13 yards;

Impediments to wireless transmission: must go through three OLD
1945 HOUSE walls, each surfaced with heavy plaster, probably backed
with wire mesh, thus 3 * 2 = 6 layers of it (ie one layer on each
wall face).

Question: how to implement such a solution -- and at a reasonable cost?

THANK YOU!

David

Would a wifi repeater/range extender be what you're after? Amazon
link: http://tinyurl.com/bo7tck8
Posted to alt.home.repair

why is it necessary to get music from your PC? Wouldn't it just be
easier to burn DVDs and get a d DVD player?

I don't know about the OP but I like internet radio. One can
listen to stations from all over the world. I use an iPod with wifi.
TuneIn is one of the apps for iPod that makes it work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/14/2013 3:29 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

I gave up on trying to get sound to the other end of the house
wirelessly. I wanted to have music in the living room and the bedroom.
Problem is that there's delay involved in the wireless process.
Was ok on either end, but if you were in a position to hear both at the
same time, it was unlistenable.

I was using networked computers. If you use analog wireless EVERYWHERE,
you can do better.

My solution was to give up and use a $1 garage sale PDA with a flash card
to play music elsewhere thru Yamaha computer speakers. Nobody would
accuse the system of being audiophile quality, but It's pleasant
enough that I rarely fire up the Klipchorns.

Hearing two different tunes is far less
grating that hearing the same tune with an echo.

YMMV. Bottom line is...consider delays in the process before you spend
a lot of money on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 15:47:56 -0700, mike wrote:

I gave up on trying to get sound to the other end of the house
wirelessly. I wanted to have music in the living room and the bedroom.
Problem is that there's delay involved in the wireless process.
Was ok on either end, but if you were in a position to hear both at the
same time, it was unlistenable.

I'm not sure if you were doing what I do (or did before I moved the
computer to the basement, but didn't move the sound transmitter)

I have 2 1/2 pair of RCA wireless speakers. I only use one speaker
per room. The computer is normally in one bedroom, and one speaker
is in the bathroom, another in my bedroom, one in the kitchen, one in
the basement, and one is for outside (though I havnt used that one.)

I never noticed a delay, and I would think I could hear the main
speakers even when I was in the bathroom.

RCA wireless aren't really available, and the only other brand I've
found is what they sell at Best Buy, about 100 a pair, much more than
I paid a surplus guy at a computer show. One of the two transmitters
that came with two pair didn't work, but he gave me another one to
replace it. I bought the half pair at a hamfest. But I'll buy the
expensive ones if I have to.

I was using networked computers. If you use analog wireless EVERYWHERE,
you can do better.

My solution was to give up and use a $1 garage sale PDA with a flash card
to play music elsewhere thru Yamaha computer speakers. Nobody would
accuse the system of being audiophile quality, but It's pleasant
enough that I rarely fire up the Klipchorns.

Hearing two different tunes is far less
grating that hearing the same tune with an echo.

YMMV. Bottom line is...consider delays in the process before you spend
a lot of money on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 17:32:57 -0500, Dean Hoffman
" wrote:

why is it necessary to get music from your PC? Wouldn't it just be
easier to burn DVDs and get a d DVD player?

I don't know about the OP but I like internet radio. One can
listen to stations from all over the world. I use an iPod with wifi.
TuneIn is one of the apps for iPod that makes it work.

Me too. The last thing I want to do is spend time picking out songs I
want to hear and copying them somewhere. That's what they pay the
folks at the radio station to do. Plus I like the surprise of
hearing what someone else picked out for me.

And I don't always want music.

I don't know how I didn't notice this earlier, but Win Media Player 9
has a tab called Internet Radio, and ver. 11 has the same thing at
Media Guide. Under that is a,b,c,d, Internet Radio, and under
Internet Radio are lots of good things, some of them broadcast
stations and others just on the net.. When one changes from one
station to another, there is practically no wait time, plus it saves a
list of stations you've listened to, most recent first.

Right now I'm liking this more than Pandora, and all of you probably
have it.

When
Posted to alt.home.repair

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
In article ,
why is it necessary to get music from your PC? Wouldn't it just be
easier to burn DVDs and get a d DVD player?

My music comes from my PC, My TV video comes from my PC. Why would anyone want
to have to burn DVD's to listen to what's on your computer?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
In article ,
(David Combs) wrote:

[...]

Hi,
Media player and/or NAS?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/14/2013 6:02 PM, micky wrote:
On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 15:47:56 -0700, wrote:

I gave up on trying to get sound to the other end of the house
wirelessly. I wanted to have music in the living room and the bedroom.
Problem is that there's delay involved in the wireless process.
Was ok on either end, but if you were in a position to hear both at the
same time, it was unlistenable.

I'm not sure if you were doing what I do (or did before I moved the
computer to the basement, but didn't move the sound transmitter)

I have 2 1/2 pair of RCA wireless speakers. I only use one speaker
per room. The computer is normally in one bedroom, and one speaker
is in the bathroom, another in my bedroom, one in the kitchen, one in
the basement, and one is for outside (though I havnt used that one.)

I think I had a bunch of those in use for a while.
They're simple wireless RF speakers. They work fine.

The delay comes from digital processing.
Bluetooth, wifi, etc. use complex modulation schemes that introduce
a slight delay. It's not about the RF, it's about the digital processing.

If you look at competent media players, like vlc, there's often a menu
item that can change the relative delays between the sound and picture
to match the words with the lips. On my computer, some video formats
are off by 0.4 seconds.
Same concept.

If you buy wireless headphones that use simple modulation and plug
into analog audio at the same place as your main speakers, they work fine.
If you buy bluetooth wireless headphones, you may experience annoying
delays.

My neighbor's TV has a sound bar connected optically.
There's also a standard audio out.
Even wired headphones didn't work well because of the delay introduced
by the digital processing of the sound bar.

My point is, check it out before you spend a bunch of $$$.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 18:39:57 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
In article ,
why is it necessary to get music from your PC? Wouldn't it just be
easier to burn DVDs and get a d DVD player?

My music comes from my PC, My TV video comes from my PC. Why would anyone want
to have to burn DVD's to listen to what's on your computer?

Why would anyone want TV video coming from their PC?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 04:18:34 -0700, mike wrote:

[...]

I guess I will. I would hate the delay if I had it.

I had my bedroom tv connected to the computer so I could watch movies,
but I never watched one. Well, I bought "Burn" in PAL format (by
accident) and watched that straight from the computer, because the DVD
player wouldn't play it, but that's all.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/15/2013 2:02 PM, micky wrote:
On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 04:18:34 -0700, wrote:

[...]

I record/timeshift/watch ATSC TV on a 24" lcd monitor three feet from my
face.
Total cost at garage sales under $20.

My neighbor has a shiny new 60" TV and a cable subscription.
But he can't timeshift or record.
Care to guess what he has invested?

My easy chair is about as comfortable as his.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 13:14:35 -0700, "Bob F"

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 18:39:57 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
In article ,
why is it necessary to get music from your PC? Wouldn't it just be
easier to burn DVDs and get a d DVD player?

My music comes from my PC, My TV video comes from my PC. Why would
anyone want to have to burn DVD's to listen to what's on your
computer?

Why would anyone want TV video coming from their PC?

Why would anyone want a TIVO?

Why indeed. The satellite box does a far better job of it. ;-)

Why would anyone want to have a 1 click commercial
skip? Why would anyone want to to be able to choose from hundreds of
movies/programs they recorded with a couple clicks?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:39:15 -0700, mike wrote:

[...]

He's kinda dumb. Cable boxes do all of that stuff. It's been included
in the subscription fee for a decade, everywhere I've lived. I
understand that it might be a small fee elsewhere, but really.

My easy chair is about as comfortable as his.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Malcom "Mal" Reynolds:
why is it necessary to get music from your PC? Wouldn't it just be
easier to burn DVDs and get a d DVD player?

For me, it's the other way around. The path of least resistance is to
rip DVDs to a PC hard drive and watch them from there - albeit on a TV
that is getting it's input from a PC.

Fast-forwarding is *really* fast... you get rid of all the obnoxious
trailers and advertisements.... you always know where it is.... and what
DVDs I own last forever, not being exposed to handling/scratching.

--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 20:57:29 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 11:41:21 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 20:43:20 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:44:33 -0400,
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 13:24:36 -0400,
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 18:39:57 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
In article ,
why is it necessary to get music from your PC? Wouldn't it just be
easier to burn DVDs and get a d DVD player?

My music comes from my PC, My TV video comes from my PC. Why would
anyone
want
to have to burn DVD's to listen to what's on your computer?

Why would anyone want TV video coming from their PC?

A quick one, get HBO Go in a hotel room, watching free movies instead
of their $13 movie, using their TV and their WiFi.

Who in their right mind pays $13 for a "movie" on a little box?

apparently conservatives

You're lying again. I understand that you can't help it, though.
You're a lefty.

so you're finally admitting that conservatives aren't in their right
mind? thanks

Malformed once again showing that lefties are illiterate.

so you are unwilling to stand by your assertion that conservatives
aren't in their right mind? you conservatives are such cowards

I'm willing to stand by my assertion that you lefties are illiterate,
Malformed. That one is easy. You demonstrated daily that you are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Try one of these:
http://store.digitalriver.com/store?...eID=301531 00

I have 4. I only use them for video, but I am told you can play music
without the TV. I don't know how you would select the music without a
TV screen to read the menu, but I don't use it like that so I never
tried.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

[...]

You want radio? Itunes is the way to go. It has over 200 alternative
stations. It has all comedy, all talk, all blues, all jazz, all RnB,
any genre you can think of.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 20:57:29 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 11:41:21 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 20:43:20 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 18:39:57 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
In article ,
[...]

I accept your admission that conservatives aren't in their right mind
and you cannot defend your position.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , George wrote:
On 4/14/2013 12:53 PM, David Combs wrote:

Why couldn't you load the songs on your portable player of choice (ipod
etc) and plug it into the aux input on the amplifier? That immediately
negates the need to keep a computer running and devising a method to
connect the computer on the other end of the house to the amp.

Suppose I'm listening to Pandora, and want to hear
how THAT PIECE sounds coming out of my speakers?

No way to plan ahead and do that; on Pandora,
what comes up is often by surprise.

So you rush to the hi-fi, turn it on, and
sart listening.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 20:38:27 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 20:57:29 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 11:41:21 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 20:43:20 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 18:39:57 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
In article ,
[...]

Again you show your illiteracy. Don't worry, lefties know no other
state.

Connecting TV Wirelessly Tinkerer[_2_] UK diy 24 November 13th 11 03:19 PM
Wirelessly Connected Smoke Detectors: Do They Work Well ? Bob[_44_] Home Repair 0 August 24th 11 10:20 PM
Anyone know how to transmit audio wirelessly from hifi to speakers? Nick UK diy 19 May 13th 10 06:42 PM
Old audio cassette won't play [email protected] Electronics Repair 16 August 13th 06 04:34 PM
Plans needed childs play house Searcher Woodworking 1 April 22nd 04 08:26 AM