Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to play (wirelessly?) audio from PC to hi-fi across house?

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:39:15 -0700, mike wrote:

On 4/15/2013 2:02 PM, micky wrote:
On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 04:18:34 -0700, wrote:

On 4/14/2013 6:02 PM, micky wrote:
On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 15:47:56 -0700, wrote:

I gave up on trying to get sound to the other end of the house
wirelessly. I wanted to have music in the living room and the bedroom.
Problem is that there's delay involved in the wireless process.
Was ok on either end, but if you were in a position to hear both at the
same time, it was unlistenable.

I'm not sure if you were doing what I do (or did before I moved the
computer to the basement, but didn't move the sound transmitter)

I have 2 1/2 pair of RCA wireless speakers. I only use one speaker
per room. The computer is normally in one bedroom, and one speaker
is in the bathroom, another in my bedroom, one in the kitchen, one in
the basement, and one is for outside (though I havnt used that one.)

I think I had a bunch of those in use for a while.
They're simple wireless RF speakers. They work fine.

The delay comes from digital processing.
Bluetooth, wifi, etc. use complex modulation schemes that introduce
a slight delay. It's not about the RF, it's about the digital processing.

If you look at competent media players, like vlc, there's often a menu
item that can change the relative delays between the sound and picture
to match the words with the lips. On my computer, some video formats
are off by 0.4 seconds.
Same concept.

If you buy wireless headphones that use simple modulation and plug
into analog audio at the same place as your main speakers, they work fine.
If you buy bluetooth wireless headphones, you may experience annoying
delays.

My neighbor's TV has a sound bar connected optically.
There's also a standard audio out.
Even wired headphones didn't work well because of the delay introduced
by the digital processing of the sound bar.

My point is, check it out before you spend a bunch of $$$.

I guess I will. I would hate the delay if I had it.

I had my bedroom tv connected to the computer so I could watch movies,
but I never watched one. Well, I bought "Burn" in PAL format (by
accident) and watched that straight from the computer, because the DVD
player wouldn't play it, but that's all.

I record/timeshift/watch ATSC TV on a 24" lcd monitor three feet from my
face.
Total cost at garage sales under $20.

My neighbor has a shiny new 60" TV and a cable subscription.
But he can't timeshift or record.
Care to guess what he has invested?

He's kinda dumb. Cable boxes do all of that stuff. It's been included
in the subscription fee for a decade, everywhere I've lived. I
understand that it might be a small fee elsewhere, but really.

My easy chair is about as comfortable as his.